Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Larger throttle bodies do not always = more power. BMW engineers designed it that way for a reason. You can't change just one element in the intake tract without considering the larger picture; A smaller TB may provide better air velocity. I'm not an engineer, but it seems like velocity would be more important than volume on a naturally aspirated lower-displacement engine.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I’d be interested to know how much performance increase that equates to. I remember Rob telling me he had the Dinan throttle body along with Dinan software installed and he was left underwhelmed...

Also, is the throttle a choke point on m54’s? I can’t remember how big or small the intake manifold opening downstream of the throttle is relative to the stock throttle body but if it’s smaller than 72mm then I can’t see the benefit of the bigger throttle body...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's working on getting me a dyno plot showing a 4-5hp bump on a bone stock engine. Add headers + intake and ??? 6-7hp???

I can't say that it's the final choke point as I also don't know what's going on in the manifold, but I can say for certain that moving the choke point helps quite a bit. I remember the whole intake on my 95 M3 was 3.0", but swapping the HFM and air filter to 3.5" made a massive difference, even though the rest of it still necked down to the 3.0" before the throttle body. Moving a larger column of air closer to the manifold is always helpful. BTW this one should be slightly larger than the Dinan (9% vs 12% increase in area).

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I noticed no difference whatsoever. Same after I supercharged it. AJ at ESS Tuning said it would add maybe 5 HP with the supercharger...

There were some on e46f FI forum experimenting with throttle bodies from one of the V8s... I can’t remember whether they were successful.
    Stewart is putting out well over 400hp in his wagon and I believe he is using the stock throttle body

If you want the car to breath better, I’d go for headers and cams before a throttle body
    Absolutely. I'm already working on a header project and hoping that a bored throttle body will open things up just a bit more. I'm not expecting more than 5hp. I won't notice it anyway. I didn't notice the claimed 5-10hp difference with underdrive pulleys either, but I know that all of these little modifications to help the engine breathe better will build on eachother as I go. The manufacturer sent me a screenshot of a message from a guy that put one on his 330 and he said that the throttle response was greatly improved. That, I will definitely notice.

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Larger throttle bodies do not always = more power. BMW engineers designed it that way for a reason. You can't change just one element in the intake tract without considering the larger picture; A smaller TB may provide better air velocity. I'm not an engineer, but it seems like velocity would be more important than volume on a naturally aspirated lower-displacement engine.
    I am an engineer and brother, you're on the right track. High velocity going into the cylinders is crucial and that's the reason that you have the long runners on the intake manifold. The throttle body is upstream of those, so its job is to allow air into the main chamber of the intake manifold where it can be pulled down the runners and into the cylinders. Anything that you can do to reduce restrictions between the cylinder and the cold air source is going to be beneficial for both throttle response and peak power. It's the same logic of using a cone intake in place of the air box. It's not going to magically find 15 more hp in the engine, but 5 is perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    The manufacturer sent me a screenshot of a message from a guy that put one on his 330 and he said that the throttle response was greatly improved. That, I will definitely notice.
    I installed a Dinan throttle body on my ZHP back when it didn't have any power issues and while the difference didn't seem big, I did feel a very slight increase in mid-range "feel", if that makes any sense. Throttle response wasn't really any different; the lag from the drive-by-wire system was still present and didn't feel any difference in pedal inputs resulting in anything more than before.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    He's working on getting me a dyno plot showing a 4-5hp bump on a bone stock engine. Add headers + intake and ??? 6-7hp???

I can't say that it's the final choke point as I also don't know what's going on in the manifold, but I can say for certain that moving the choke point helps quite a bit. I remember the whole intake on my 95 M3 was 3.0", but swapping the HFM and air filter to 3.5" made a massive difference, even though the rest of it still necked down to the 3.0" before the throttle body. Moving a larger column of air closer to the manifold is always helpful. BTW this one should be slightly larger than the Dinan (9% vs 12% increase in area).

Absolutely. I'm already working on a header project and hoping that a bored throttle body will open things up just a bit more. I'm not expecting more than 5hp. I won't notice it anyway. I didn't notice the claimed 5-10hp difference with underdrive pulleys either, but I know that all of these little modifications to help the engine breathe better will build on eachother as I go. The manufacturer sent me a screenshot of a message from a guy that put one on his 330 and he said that the throttle response was greatly improved. That, I will definitely notice
    Ya I’m sure there will be better engine response but I hope there won’t be any loss especially at the top end due to possible reduced velocity. The dyno plots should be interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I installed a Dinan throttle body on my ZHP back when it didn't have any power issues and while the difference didn't seem big, I did feel a very slight increase in mid-range "feel", if that makes any sense. Throttle response wasn't really any different; the lag from the drive-by-wire system was still present and didn't feel any difference in pedal inputs resulting in anything more than before.
    I drove Rob's ZHP a few years back before it was supercharged with all the Dinan mods on it. For the amount he paid for the stuff I really couldn't notice any difference in power between my stock ZHP. I agree with Rob, even with a supercharger I don't think a throttle body is going to add much if anything noticeable. Headers are the real choke point.

I do vividly remember driving the car after using the power pulleys and remember a noticeable difference. The car felt way more ready and eager to rev and did feel a little bit quicker. I noticed more from the pulleys than I did from the shark injector tune.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

The headers made the biggest, most noticeable difference when my car was NA. I'm talking like the difference you get by going to a 3.46 in the rear.
    I think it let all the other mods finally breathe
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I have all the Dinan mods including the throttle body, and honestly I don’t see a huge improvement except it sounds really good and slightly better throttle response
    05 BMW • 330i • ZHP • DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp

Quote Originally Posted by TLL0003 View Post
    I have all the Dinan mods including the throttle body, and honestly I don’t see a huge improvement except it sounds really good and slightly better throttle response
    Same here... until I put the headers on
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    The headers made the biggest, most noticeable difference when my car was NA. I'm talking like the difference you get by going to a 3.46 in the rear.
    I think it let all the other mods finally breathe
    That's what I figured. I still want to do the big bore tb and play with some more intake configurations, but this has me thinking I'll wait until after headers are done since the effects will be more noticeable without the massive bottleneck on the exhaust side. The only thing I noticed after my DIY long tube intake was better sound and gas mileage.

I like the Garbino CF lip mentioned in another persons build thread. But apparently it was ordered from Japan
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast