Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine/car loud?

Hello all,

Here's a question that a mechanic I went to forgot/didn't know how to address.

My car sounds like it's always cold while driving now, even when it's not.

When I start my car, I of course let the idle drop before driving off. On the rare occasion that I don't wait and drive while it's still a little cold, the engine sounds..loud. It has a sort of loud whoosh/roar. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. I mostly hear it in first gear, ascending with RPMs, getting louder as I accelerate SLOWLY.

I just got my car back from some repairs..I think it's been sitting a while. Now, when I drive, it's always sounding like it's cold in this manner. It idles very smoothly. Any ideas what it could be?

Unplug the secondary air pump.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Yours is automatic, right? I think those are mechanical fans?
    If it's an electric, maybe it's stuck at a higher speed. I'd check the fan switch for that. If it's mechanical, then.. I don't know.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by PetesZ View Post
    Unplug the secondary air pump.
    I think this was it. I unplugged the pump and the noise seemed abated.

This car has always had issues with the secondary air system..more than likely the culprit is yet to be found.

The cover plate is $10. You will have a CEL light that can be coded out

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...IaAqk9EALw_wcB

Or you can get a working one to keep it stock.
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Where are you located Usinjin that a secondary air pump would turn on in August?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

He's in Austin TX.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Yeah. Here in the south it gets down right cold in the mornings was nearly 69 70 this morning.

You can have the one I pulled off the race car for a small fee plus shipping. But I would just put a plate on it. On the cheap you can find those on x3 if you have a u pull it salvage nearby.
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Weird, my secondary air pump turns on ONLY when it's near freezing, it is loud, as op describes and then within a minute it shuts off. Always thought it's rôle was on very cold stats.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

It's role is to preheat the catalytic converters so they can do their job right away on cold starts. Interesting that with the MS45.1 DME, the SAP has a MAF to monitor air flow.

If you eliminate the SAP system, you'll need to code out the SAP and the secondary O2 sensors... same as if you were putting headers on the car.
    Also, If your state has emissions tests, It will most likely fail even though you have cats due to the fact that those two entries will be non-functional when they read from the OBDII port.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast