Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eonon GA9150A Review

I bought the unit for $385 off amazon, it came with almost everything needed for installation, only extra tool needed was a screwdriver.

Installation took me a few hours, but somebody who knows what they are doing could have done it in less than an hour. The unit itself is a good fit, the bottom sticks out a little since there's nothing holding it in. The trim on the left side doesn't fit well, but I suspect that I simply bent it during installation. This model has a built in wifi antenna and mic, so there is no need to remove and wire up to the A pillar like with the older ones, but you still can. The GPS module sits on top on this unit inside and seems to work fine. I will update with mic quality later on since I'm going with the integrated one.

The unit runs Android 8.0 and works well with my iphone 6s. The boot time is very fast (few seconds) and has issues opening apps. Sound quality seems to be the same as the stock radio, but I haven't gotten a chance to test the built in apps. Bluetooth is lacking in sound quality, but that's to be expected with any Bluetooth connection.

Update: I mostly use spotify and google maps with the unit and they work fine except for one thing. The hotspot on my phone has a hard time connecting to the unit and will sometimes drop the signal altogether untill I turn it on and off on my phone. This is annoying, but when It works it does so with any issues.

The seller is sending me a free back-up camera which i'm going to be installing over the weekend and will update accordingly.

Update: Installed the back-up camera, and it took much longer than I expected. Most of DIYs tell you how to removed everything, but none of them tell you how to put things back. Running the wire from inside to trunk up to the camera was by far the most difficult, but some WD-40 did the trick.

The camera itself doesn't stick out too much and isn't too noticeable especially with a black license plate. The quality is ok, there is some shuttering like an old CCTV but it works fine enough to help me tell how far I am from objects. The camera is slightly off since its mounted on the right or left, and there seems to be to way to correct for that in the settings.

Overall I would recommend this unit for to the functionality it provides as well as the face-lift it gives the car. Similar units like xtrons seems to be Eonon knock-offs and provide similar products, but from what I've read can have slightly less durability.

Name:  IMG_2696.JPG
Views: 2155
Size:  231.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2728.JPG
Views: 1862
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by ComradeNick; 08-29-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Nice review, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That backup camera install is a bear, but totally worth it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I've had a few Xtrons headunits (which aren't knockoffs of Chinese trash lol) now and the sound quality is significantly improved over the OE headunit. I see that you have HK sound, so you may want to go into the "Factory Settings" (password is usually 126 or 123456) and adjust the amp volume down some. I think mine is set around -9db. It allows for finer tuning of the volume and less chance of blowing out your speakers.

I use Spotify for music and have it set to download playlists over WiFi so I don't have to hotspot with my phone every day. I do hotspot on trips, though, so that I can use Waze for navigation, which integrates perfectly with Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    That backup camera install is a bear, but totally worth it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I've had a few Xtrons headunits (which aren't knockoffs of Chinese trash lol)

I use Spotify for music and have it set to download playlists over WiFi so I don't have to hotspot with my phone every day. I do hotspot on trips, though, so that I can use Waze for navigation, which integrates perfectly with Spotify.
    I wasn't saying xtrons are trash, they're pretty much identical to this one since they're most likely made by the same manufacturer. Seicane from what I've read are the ones people should stay away from.

Does your unit charge your phone at all? I have mine plugged in and it seems to lose power with the hotspot on.

I hope xtrons aren’t trash haha, I’m switching from eonon (analog/physical buttons) to a 9 inch full touch display xtrons.

Good to hear the 8.0 works well with your iPhone
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

That back-up camera install is no joke... I've spent over 12 hours on it so far and am entering the 3rd day. In all honestly though, its not so much difficult as is it time consuming. The camera is plugged in and working, I just need to run the cable through the trunk lid to hide the wire so that I can put my trunk liner back.

I took a few detours along the way including removing the sound deadening under my rear seats because I for one am I tired of my car smelling like the inside of a jiffy lube everytime I roll the window down. I'll update the post with a better review, but so far its working fine, not the best quality but it gets the job done.

Haha that's what happened with mine too -- you find so many sidequests along the way. Feeding the cable through the rubber boot between trunk and body was the worst. I laid a long zip tie next to the cable and lashed them together, then was able to feed the ziptie through and pull the cable from the other side. I really hope my camera never fails because I do not want to do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    I hope xtrons aren’t trash haha, I’m switching from eonon (analog/physical buttons) to a 9 inch full touch display xtrons.

Good to hear the 8.0 works well with your iPhone
    Resurrecting this old thread....Now that you've had the 9"display xtron a bit....any cool apk's or features you've discovered? I went with the 9"display Eonon (GA9350b) running android 9.0 and got the CarPlay dongle that works like a charm!

-r

Quote Originally Posted by oclvframe View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread....Now that you've had the 9"display xtron a bit....any cool apk's or features you've discovered? I went with the 9"display Eonon (GA9350b) running android 9.0 and got the CarPlay dongle that works like a charm!

-r
    I’m not the most tech savvy person when it comes to Android. I literally have done nothing with it, I tried installing the CarPlay dongle that was recommended by another member here and couldn’t get it to work. I’m a pretty plug and play kind of guy so thusly, I haven’t been a huge fan of it. If I could get a CarPlay dongle to work easily that would be great. I also have no idea what apks are........haha
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    I’m not the most tech savvy person when it comes to Android. I literally have done nothing with it, I tried installing the CarPlay dongle that was recommended by another member here and couldn’t get it to work. I’m a pretty plug and play kind of guy so thusly, I haven’t been a huge fan of it. If I could get a CarPlay dongle to work easily that would be great. I also have no idea what apks are........haha
    the APK installation is pretty simple. I've never had an Android, but was able to follow step by step to get my dongle to work. If you'd like, I can try to find the instructions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast