Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worn out Michelin PSS's in 16,000 miles?

I discovered today that my rear Michelin PSS's (245/40 R17) on my 2005 330xi (daily driver) are extremely worn--especially on the outside edges (right down to fabric!). This is quite surprising to me for the following reasons:

1. They've only accrued a little over 16,000 miles.

2. They're rears, and the fronts look MUCH better.

3. I didn't see the same kind of wear on the previous tires.

4. While a spirited driver, I hardly ever even chirp the tires, so no wheel spin.

What the hell? Thoughts?
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Toe is out of spec.

Name:  378142d1463607809-camber-wear-on-front-tires-tirewear.png
Views: 1194
Size:  860.5 KB

Thanks, derbo. I'll be sure to get them checked.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

So, I ordered two new PSS' since the fronts looked fine and brought them to a local shop for mounting and alignment. Well, they called me and told me that, since it's AWD and the difference in tread thickness was beyond tolerance, I couldn't install just rears. Against my better judgment but eager to get it done, I allowed them to install some Toyo "ultra-high performance" tires they had in stock. Well I picked up the car this morning and drove it to work... getting off at my exit with a sharp arc, I made the mistake of hitting it like I normally do with my PSS' on--maybe even a little less aggressively. Well, it felt like like my sidewall rolled, I drifted halfway off the road, and bottomed out on the bank of the road before regaining control. I was surrounded by rock escarpment and really thought I was going to crash my car (ultra-high performance MY ASS!)... thank goodness there's no noticeable damage.

Called the shop to let them know I think Toyo's SUCK, and they're going to allow me to return the set under Toyo's customer satisfaction warranty. In their place, I'm ordering two out of the last three Michelin PSS' (245/40R17) in the United States to complete my set. I'll never buy Toyo's again, and I think I'll stick to Michelins.
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 09-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Dam ! Glad everything is fine. You think the inflation on the toyo tires may have been wrong?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Yes, I do. I just checked and found the following: RF-45psi, LF-38psi, RR-60psi, LR-55psi... F'ing idiots, AND I found some rash on the rim of one of my wheels which I know they did! So, at this point I take back what I said about the Toyo's. I was driving back from work yesterday thinking they seemed awfully squirrely to be entirely due to the tires... I can't wait to call the shop Monday morning to report my findings. >: (

I corrected the pressure, of course, and am looking forward to testing them tomorrow.

I would call bull on the spec issue. They were just up selling you. Front of your car does not care about the back end. Your abs system will be fine
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

I was beginning to suspect... Of course, with AWD, the front end cares very much about the back end beyond a certain point, but I have a hard time believing the tiny bit of wear difference between the tires would be significant. I'd guess tire pressure could make a bigger impact...

I just read a Consumer Reports article that mentions that if you need to replace a single tire, you can just buy a pair from Tire Rack and have them shave the tires to match the tread depth of the tires on the other side of the car. Apparently it's a service they offer, and is a lot cheaper than having to buy four new tires.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...ll-four-tires/
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Good to know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast