Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stripped bolt on starter

Hey guys.. In need of some help here. I may have just caused a much bigger issue than it was worth. I'm trying to replace my starter and one of the bolts is corroded and therefore even though I have made a few turns with it, the bolt is not getting any easier to turn. I made the mistake of using a slightly too large bit and I'm afraid I've stripped the head (at least enough where the amount of force still needed to turn the bolt is too high to try using the socket again). Ive thought of about everything and might be on the last resort of attempting to jb weld a socket on. My concern is if this doesn't work, that will only cause even further issues. Any ideas?? Any advice will be helpful. I'm currently riding my bike everywhere which isn't too fun in this heat..

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    05 Jet Black with NB 6MT ZHP: Current
    05 Alpine White with Beige Auto ZHP: Sold
    04 Alpine White with Grey Auto 325xi: RIP

When I stripped a torx screw while replacing the radiator, I used a hacksaw blade to make a groove on the screw head and used a flat head screw driver to remove it. Depending on how much space you have, this may work for you as well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

You could try a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on and then try it.

Thanks for the input. Because of the tight quarters I ended up going with the jb weld. It worked though!! You can see in the pictures why I had such a hard time getting it out.. Looks crossthreaded or something..

Win! So you jbwelded a socket on the head of the bolt, waited 24 hrs and torqued on it?

Just curious, I have never used jb weld.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Win! So you jbwelded a socket on the head of the bolt, waited 24 hrs and torqued on it?

Just curious, I have never used jb weld.
    Yup! It actually broke after maybe 5 turns or so and so then I reglued it and had to wait another day before I could finish unscrewing it. The socket was still gripping some so I wasn't only relying on the glue. Just to help keep it from becoming completely stripped. The pic was before I reglued the socket

Nice job - would never have thought of that!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Thanks for the pic and great job!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Weld done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

^ Yes, sir !
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast