Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear LCA install

Continuing my refresh, I'm working on some rear control arm items. I have upper outer bearings, lower outer bushings, and lower control arms (which come with the inner bushing pre-pressed in).

I have a shop that will just bill me actual hours to get this stuff installed. It sounds like the two outer bushings/bearings are pretty easy with the right tool, however the driver's side LCA sounds like a pretty big pain with having to move the diff to be able to access the inner nut. Anyone have any experience with how long this all takes?

I have not done this yet. And will be interested in the results.

I was looking at dropping the entire subframe.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by PetesZ View Post
    I have not done this yet. And will be interested in the results.

I was looking at dropping the entire subframe.
    I was thinking about doing all the subframe bushings as well, but the shop assures me they are all solid. I'm tiring of replacing stuff under the logic that "part xyz tends to fail at your mileage" as this has been an expensive and ineffective way to solve problems. So I may just do the outer LCA bushings/bearings only before moving onto LCAs, inner bushings/bearings, and perhaps diff bushings as well. Any wisdom out there on best way to proceed?

My understanding is that most of the wear is the lca.

I just looked at mine when I swapped the differential. They all seemed fine. I plan to do the lca here soon and add limiters. Have no decided to go the full poly or spherical.
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

My understanding is that most of the wear is the lca.
    What part of the LCA takes the brunt of the wear - inner bushing, outer bushing, the LCA itself? Not sure that I follow...

2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

U gotta go spherical for the track car. The rear is so damn planted with them. Moogs are $17 ea too!

Has anyone done their LCAs? Curious just how much of a pain the driver's side one is to get in with having to move the diff.

Yea, you have to move the diff. I did mine last spring. Common problem is the lower bolt seizing in the bushing, making it impossible to adjust. and the fact that they are so flimsy, they usually get bent

In my experience, It's impossible to really evaluate the diff bushings with the diff in place. Both sets of the bushings I replaced in my car were torn but was impossible to see that with the diff in place because you can't really see the tears unless you flex the bushing.

If you go to this page of my build thread, as you scroll down, you can see what I mean about the bushings tearing. also there is a pic of me about to put the diff back in where you can see where the two upper control arm bolts are.
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...project/page24
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Thanks. Perhaps best to do the three diff bushings by the time the diff is loosened to get the LCAs in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast