Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

JP's 2004 TiAg ZHP - OEM+ Build Thread and Maintenance Log

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    first off, nice work. that's a solid day. fortunately these cars are easy to work on (unless you utter the words "rear wheel bearing" and then said bearing decides to drain every atom of hope from your being) - my E91 is notably more complex to deal with (fortunately it's RWD). ain't nobody got time for that.

secondly, i've never had a gruppe m intake, and i'd like to give it a listen. if you decide to sell, PM me?
    Thank you.
    As someone with very little experience, I would agree. The E46 is very approachable to work on but yeah, I had my Indy do the rear wheel bearings haha I didn’t want those problems!

Will let you know about the intake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    That Gruppe M intake really does look nice in your engine bay!
    Thank you, super late to the party but finally made it haha

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    After 3 different orders, 2 cancellations and 1 lost package I finally received my Bosch alternator. I had the oval connector in my car which has proven quite difficult to find. Ultimately was able to get it quite quickly through RockAuto.

Todays objective:
    1. Alternator
    2. Electric fan conversion
    3. Gruppe M intake
    2. Oil filter housing gasket! The darn thing is finally leaking. I had bought a Vit-on one years ago but never installed it.

There was quite a mess back there.
    Attachment 40165

Things went pretty smoothly.

Got the clutch fan out.

I just had an eerie feeling that the functional days of this fan were numbered after 177k miles.

I was ready to put everything back together.

Then this. Attachment 40163 stripped the T50 bolt on the tensioner using a T45 bit because I’m an idiot but also why is the material so soft on something you have to pull on for leverage.
    Thankfully was able to get the belt on using a long screwdriver and some leverage.

Intake thrown on because it was well past dark and I had been working on this for over 6 hours. I’ll mount the bracket tomorrow.

Attachment 40164

Gruppe M intake quick review:
    She howls, I love it!
    I wasn’t always a fan of how it looks, always seemed out of place to me. It’s Much better in person.

Electric fan review:
    Very straight forward install. Went with OEM BMW because it was in stock at the local dealership and I was caught at a moment of weakness. Definitely notice extra oomph, likely from the clutch fan delete.

I have a bmw performance intake coming shortly so comparison and possible sale soon come.
    Yeah definitely need some gruppe M intake noise videos! Hopefully you got that performance intake for a good price. I'm still amazed how an old/used performance intake with plastic housing is more expensive that an intake with a full carbon fiber housing...

Acquired.

After a thorough search, I decided to go with Mahle filters as they were available at Rock Auto.

But question, how on earth do you get the filter out the housing!? Looks like there are 5 screws into the bracket that the filter but I cannot reach the bottom 2.

I hope I don’t have to take the top cover off and disassemble it.

Last edited by JPMo; 03-03-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Gruppe M was cool but got around to installing this unit!
    A bit of a hassle to take apart and clean out but finally figured everything out.

Fitment was ok. I really have to slam the hood to get it to close properly now.

Sound: a little disappointing as it sounds fairly stock but if you get on it, you’ll get a some induction noise like the Gruppe M. Still will put a smile on your face.

I’d say it’s probably 20% of the Gruppe M sound wise.

Looks: killer! I love how this thing looks in the engine bay.
    Something very purposeful and Motorsport about it. As Ive mentioned previously, I always felt the Gruppe M looked out of place.

Overall, the BMWP intake is here to stay and while I’ll miss the Gruppe M, I will be selling it to fund a pair of replacement style 135 wheels. I somehow have two which are bent. Again.

Last edited by JPMo; Today at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post

Gruppe M was cool but got around to installing this unit!
    A bit of a hassle to take apart and clean out but finally figured everything out.

Fitment was ok. I really have to slam the hood to get it to close properly now.

Sound: a little disappointing as it’s fairly quiet but occasionally you get a little burble or some carbon induction noise like the Gruppe M.
    I’d say it’s probably 20% of the Gruppe M sound wise.

Looks: killer! I love how this thing looks in the engine bay.
    Something very purposeful and Motorsport about it. As Ive mentioned previously, I always felt the Gruppe M looked out of place.

Overall, the BMWP intake is here to stay and while I’ll miss the Gruppe M, I will be selling it to fund a pair of replacement style 135 wheels. I somehow have two which are bent. Again.
    I have a full set of Style 135 wheels on hand in my garage. I got them because dealer told me I had a bent wheel and it turns out I have no bent wheels. Send me a PM if interested.

EDIT: JP I appreciate you selling me your Gruppe M intake. It will be installed in my ZHP when I take delivery of it. It will be nice to have a brand new Gruppe M as opposed to one that has been used in numerous cars. Functionally they are the same, I know, but knowing I have a pretty much brand new Gruppe M intake in my ZHP's engine bay makes it all the more better Thanks again!!
    Last edited by cakM3; Today at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I have a full set of Style 135 wheels on hand in my garage. I got them because dealer told me I had a bent wheel and it turns out I have no bent wheels. Send me a PM if interested.
    PM sent 🫡

I agree, the BMW Performance intake looks more OEM and appropriate for the engine bay compared to the Gruppe M. But since I hear the car all of the time and only look at the engine bay once and a while, I stuck with the GruppeM for the acoustics. I am a child so here we are. You'll be happy either way.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011