Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: EWS Issues

EWS Issues

While I’m about to set my car up to be scanned with my BMW coder to dive further into this issue, I’m almost positive my EWS system has taken a crap.

For a few months now, I’ve dealt with issues with my key and randomly not working to be able to unlock the car but now out of the blue, it doesn’t even want to turn on the car.

At complete random a few months back, the valet key was the only way to turn on the car but my original key could always unlock it from a distance.

Then I got my original key to work, but now there’s been this constant back and fourth.

After doing some digging everyone online points to a bad EWS, but I can’t find the website to the guy who cuts keys, does the EWS delete/recorded the DME for much cheaper than the dealer does.

Some guidance on this new found issue would help plenty, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Indy replaced the EWS unit last year for $500 OTD. I needed to show proof of ownership (registration and DL). I didn't need to replace my keys.

My symptoms were different: car cranked but didn't start. This happened at random 1-2 times per month.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

https://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_Repair_Service.htm

Shoot him an email detailing the issue.

Mine was a dead key bad fuse and dead center switch.

Yours sounds more like a Kan bus issue
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

I can tell you that when I purchased my car last year and I had a dead key, others here recommended that I look at Scott's site too. It's a wealth of information. Among many of his educational comments, he details out the key resync procedure on his site (https://www.bmwgm5.com/Key_Repair.htm) and just having that information allowed me to get my key working and not have to donate $300 to the dealer.

On that alone I recommend Scott, and although it was free information, I would have gladly paid him to have it. So instead I'll help by recommending him whenever I can (Scott - I'd still pay you something for saving me all that money! - PM me)
    Pete

EWS Issues

So I want to start by saying thank you to everyone who responded and helped me look in all the right places!

After inspecting and diagnosing my issue..... you guys wouldnt even believe what not only drained my battery from 790 CCA, to about 410 CCA when I took it to my local advance auto to have it checked out

But it also shorted out my angel eyes, wouldn’t let the car crank no matter what key it was........

The freaking positive battery terminal bolt 🤦🏻*♂️ lmao

Now how you may ask?
    Well me being a 5 year old of course, I removed and reinstalled my headlights and angel eyes this past summer (early-mid July). After running all the wiring and resealing my headlights appropriately, I in a rush and ironically..... in the dark sealed the last pieces back together

I reinstalled the stupid bolt UPSIDE DOWN, for whatever reason it must have made contact with the positive wire to the angel eyes and have gotten very very hot because it was literally DEEP FRIED lol

I simply cut and recrimped my wires to a new butt connector, left my battery charging on a battery tender over night........ and BOOM, car is back to life and all is right with the world lol

No key issues at all.

Lesson learned: Do things right the first time, or don’t do them at all lol

Name:  IMG_1782.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  342.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL ... Glad to hear the mystery is solved.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

"If you have time to do something twice, you surely have time to do it right the first time".

Glad you got it sorted

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim