Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Replacing coupe quarter window lower gasket railing

I am going to take on the project of replacing the weather-stripping on the lower part of my coupe's quarter window. I have the replacement "gasket railing" pieces with the two sided tape, but anyone know how the lower shadow line trim piece itself is attached? Is it simply stuck on with adhesive?

Name:  IMG_0290.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  191.8 KB

I also need to do this. Very interested
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

I've done this before. Yes, there is a strip of adhesive underneath the shadow line part. Did you get the matte color or glossy? I notice the old one is matte, but the upper shadow liner is glossy?
    It worked very well on my passenger side, but on the drive side, a portionof the shadow line actually detached from the fender. Annoying, especially when it rains or i wash the car. I am thinking about squirting some adhesive in there and holding it down for a few hours some how. Has anyone done that before? Would you guys recommend a certain kind of adhesive?
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

I have glossy shadow line trim, but it looks matte in the pic above. Here's the passenger's side part I ordered from FCP (all rubber)

Name:  IMG_0291.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  313.0 KB

Here's a shot of the end of that part. It almost appears the shadow line trim slots into the groove and slides on from the end of the rubber weatherstripping? See left side of stripping.

Name:  IMG_0292.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  98.8 KB

I'm assuming I can reuse the glossy shadow line trim piece itself.

Just the rubber?? Like they expect you to glue the glossy piece on to it? I don't think that's gonna work. I tried removing the glossy part off of my old ones, and trust me, they are more than just glued on there. The plastic and rubber is interwoven to the point that you will really warp and damage the glossy liner in the attempt to separate it. Take my advice, it is not worth the effort, even if by some miracle you manage to pull it off (pun intended)
    I would just go with this one: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ck-51367891912
    I know, it's a hell of a lot more expensive than the ones you got, but it's worth it if you want uniform glossiness. Or, of you don't really care, you could just use the ones you have and save a couple hundred dollars.
    If someone else knows better, please correct me. This was my experience.
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

Also, while you're there, you might consider fixing the gasket on the upper shadow liner. BMW does not sell the gasket separately, so you would have to buy 2 entirely new shadowliners, metal and all, but that'll cost you about $500 i think.
    OR you could try out this DIY. I did it with decent results. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=373831

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Just the rubber?? Like they expect you to glue the glossy piece on to it? I don't think that's gonna work. I tried removing the glossy part off of my old ones, and trust me, they are more than just glued on there. The plastic and rubber is interwoven to the point that you will really warp and damage the glossy liner in the attempt to separate it. Take my advice, it is not worth the effort, even if by some miracle you manage to pull it off (pun intended)
    I would just go with this one: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ck-51367891912
    I know, it's a hell of a lot more expensive than the ones you got, but it's worth it if you want uniform glossiness. Or, of you don't really care, you could just use the ones you have and save a couple hundred dollars.
    If someone else knows better, please correct me. This was my experience.
    Ouch on the cost, but that certainly looks like the part I need with the glossy shadow line trim already attached. I'll return what I have currently from FCP and get the part(s) you've linked. Thanks!