Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oil pan gasket!!! Need the famiglia's counsel...

The day of reckoning is upon me as I prepare to do the OPG, as well as a bunch of other things while I am there (motor/tranny mounts, end-links, tie rods, steering coupler, tranny drain/fill). I am contemplating whether to do the job at home, or take it to a DIY garage, where I can get the car on a lift and work comfortably from my feet. Maybe this is a no-brainer, but there are some things I am considering.
    - How much time can a first time OPG DIYer save by doing this on a lift? I think I can bust this out in a day, or a weekend from the garage, but if it can be done in like 4 hours from a lift, well...
    - DIY garage rate is between $25 and $40 per hour. If I am there for 8+ hours, could come out pretty expensive...
    - There's also the question of letting the RTV on the new gasket cure for a few hours before adding oil. Would this be a concern for you?
    - Random question: I heard the bolts on the subframe need to be replaced after removal. How important is this?

Basically, I am happy to spend an extra couple hundred if it is safe and MUCH easier to have it on a lift. Thanks for the help!
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

I just did it last week on the ground, in my driveway.

You probably won't save much more time doing it on the lift if it's your first time. I'd reckon I could shave off maybe 2 hours? I wasn't under the car that long. Most of the time was spent cleaning the gunk off of the engine, subframe, rack, etc. My total time was about 12 hours going at a very leisurely pace. (Replaced mounts, pan gasket, all P/S lines and fluid, oil pump o-rings, that plastic oil pump piston, pickup tube o-ring)

You could take your time doing it on the ground with no fees ticking away in the background. You could wait for the gasket to cure a bit overnight, fill with oil in the morning and make sure no leaks are present. I wouldn't worry about that too much. It would have a decent cure after you re-assemble the car.

I didn't replace my bolts. Seems fine so far. I don't believe they are torque to yield.

Also, if you are removing the steering rack and subframe completely from the car, just that alone makes the job cake!
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Ok, yeah I kinda figured my logic on this could be echoed by someone else. I really don't like working on my back under the car. I don't think I am claustrophobic, but I just really don't like squirming around down there, reaching for tools, realizing I forgot to grab something, slide out, slide back under, damn it I don't have enough leverage from this angle, oh God something fell in my eye but my hands are covered in oil so I can't get it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    I didn't replace my bolts. Seems fine so far. I don't believe they are torque to yield.
    ok, I will visually inspect them and make the call on the spot. Some blue thread lock should be enough, right?
    Also, what was your method for cleaning the underside? Just rags, or were you able to do some proper deep cleaning?
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

Just found another interesting problem. The RTV sealant I plan on using is VersaChem Mega Grey. It just happens to be laying around at my house, and the temperature specs are more than enough for the oil pan, so why not? Decided to take a look at the technical data sheet for this product:
    http://www.itwconsumer.com/userfiles...9939%20TDS.pdf
    Quoting the sheet: "Chemical Solvent Resistance: automotive fluids (motor oil, antifreeze mixtures and transmission fluid) Mega Grey will handle synthetic oils; but NOT IF FRICTION MODIFIERS (ADDITIVES) ARE ADDED TO THE OIL."
    Well, just so happens I want to put in some liquimoly ceratec ceramic coating additive to the oil after the OPG. Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem? I will see if I can find the technical data sheets for some name brands, and see if they say the same thing.

You have an engine support bar for the job, yes? you're going to need that. You only use the sealant on a couple of corners/seams.... don't put it on the whole gasket. There are a couple of bolts for the oil pan that you get to through the bell housing. I missed one when I did mine... took a minute to figure out why the oil pan wouldn't come off. I didn't take the steering rack off, I just bungeed it out of the way.... saved a lot of time.

I know what you mean about the lift. My wife has a friend that's offered me his lift at his shop and even the service manager at the BMW dealership has offered me the lift. I hate working on the ground but I'm so paranoid that something will go wrong and I wont be able to finish the job. Plus, no matter how any tools I bring with me, there is always something I need that I don't have. I hate having to borrow tools and get stuff out of an unfamiliar tool box...Wastes time and then you have to try and remember which drawer you got their tools out of.

The one time I used her buddy's lift, I did Kristen's SSK in the M2. I brought a whole bag of my tools but still ended up having to use his tools. Then, I ran into an issue with one of the bushings that was slightly too big. That took a long time to work out. He had to leave to pick up his kids so he had to show me how to lockup his shop when I was done... Perfect example... even on a brand new car.

I will say it was a joy to be able to do that job on a lift. It took me 6 hrs to install the SSK in my e46 laying on the ground fighting one of the frozen pins that hold the shifter carrier on the transmission.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I have done way more than 50 E36/E46 Oil pan gaskets (basically the same suspension/engine layout) and I can do one in under 2hrs if I hustle. If I take my time and clean items in an OCD manner I'm looking at 3-4 hrs minimum. Factor in the other items you want to do as well and then add a cushion for unforeseen issues like Sockethead mentioned and it could get expensive. So with that said if I was in your position I'd do it at home on the ground... but for me I'm so spoiled I'd have a hard time laying on the ground to do that job.

*Also, if you have a engine hoist you can use that in place of the engine support bar (if you don't have that).
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    You have an engine support bar for the job, yes? you're going to need that. You only use the sealant on a couple of corners/seams.... don't put it on the whole gasket. There are a couple of bolts for the oil pan that you get to through the bell housing. I missed one when I did mine... took a minute to figure out why the oil pan wouldn't come off. I didn't take the steering rack off, I just bungeed it out of the way.... saved a lot of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
    ... then add a cushion for unforeseen issues like Sockethead mentioned and it could get expensive. So with that said if I was in your position I'd do it at home on the ground... but for me I'm so spoiled I'd have a hard time laying on the ground to do that job.

*Also, if you have a engine hoist you can use that in place of the engine support bar (if you don't have that).
    Yup, I actually do have an engine hoist at home. Plan on using that, unless the engine support bar is much more convenient?
    Thanks for your input on this. Man the lift sounds so convenient...
    About the RTV, yes it goes on the seams of the block, kinda like when you do a VCG. So despite that warning in the technical data sheet should I be good? I checked Permatex's tech data sheet for an analogous product, and it did not say anything about friction modifying additives. Still, I think I should be fine...
    @sockethead, what do you mean when you said you just bungeed the steering rack out of the way?

I use Hylomar or Permatex UltraGray. Letting them set up longer can't be a bad thing, but I wouldn't sweat it to much.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Yup, I actually do have an engine hoist at home. Plan on using that, unless the engine support bar is much more convenient?

@sockethead, what do you mean when you said you just bungeed the steering rack out of the way?
    The engine support bar is more convenient because you don't have the framework and wheels of the hoist under the car and getting in the way. It can be had for $60 with a coupon at Harbor Freight.

The steering rack bolts to the cross member and you be taking the cross member out, leaving the rack to dangle unless you some rubber straps or bungee cords to keep it out of your way
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

If you are taking the tie rods loose, you might as well take the p/s hoses loose and just completely removing the front subframe and rack as an assembly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast