Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Hydraulic tensioner - limited movement?

Has anyone else run into the hydraulic tensioner not moving enough to get the drive belt on? I swear I remember this thing moving more in the past, and never had an issue getting the belt on. Today, however, it refuses to budge more than half an inch. That sounds way too short...

I've attached a video. Does this mean I need a new tensioner?? I'm stuck without a car until this belt goes back on .. I'm going on hour 3 of simply replacing pullies because I can't get this damn belt back on!

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5bcce947...021_165604.mp4

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

It's not supposed to move like that is it?
    Mine was a more fluid (pun intended) and smooth motion like a shock.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Shortly after posting this, I made a judgement call and Uber'd my behind to Advance to buy a tensioner. That did the trick; the new tensioner gave me that extra inch of movement I needed to get the belt on. Hell, I got it on with the first try after it was replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    It's not supposed to move like that is it?
    Mine was a more fluid (pun intended) and smooth motion like a shock.
    The tensioner is supposed to move a lot more than it was moving. There wasn't anything wrong with the fluidity of its motion, just that it only moved half an inch when I needed it to move more like 1.5-2 inches to be able to slip the belt on.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Actually mine is really bad too. Sometimes i feel like i am going to to strip the torx head because i have to push on the breaker bar really hard to vreate enough space for the belt. Might be time for a new one for me as well
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

I'm getting a squeal/whistle from a pulley and/or tensioner lately when first starting the car - might be time to replace them along with belts. Is there a preferred brand to use or to avoid? Thanks in advance!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I was getting a squeal only at start up too. I replaced the belts in August with genuine OEM's from FCP and the problem is gone
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    I was getting a squeal only at start up too. I replaced the belts in August with genuine OEM's from FCP and the problem is gone
    Just belts = cheaper! I got the car (this is the 2003 E39 530i) with 75K miles & it has 120K now - no telling when the tensioners & belts were previously replaced, if ever. Thought it might be time, but wondered about the non-genuine supplier quality - Febi, INA, Meyle - and who makes the parts for BMW?
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Just belts = cheaper! I got the car (this is the 2003 E39 530i) with 75K miles & it has 120K now - no telling when the tensioners & belts were previously replaced, if ever. Thought it might be time, but wondered about the non-genuine supplier quality - Febi, INA, Meyle - and who makes the parts for BMW?
    FCP is great about listing the OEM suppliers for different parts so you can find the ones with the BMW logo (and markup) ground off.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    FCP is great about listing the OEM suppliers for different parts so you can find the ones with the BMW logo (and markup) ground off.
    That may not work always. When my thermostat failed I ordered a genuine BMW part from fcp and I think it was made by wahler. The thermostat that failed had the bmw logo ground off but was from a different supplier, febi if I remember correctly. So it is possible that bmw change their suppliers for a part and it is also possible that manufacturer who once supplied the parts to bmw might not adhere to the same standards. Just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |