Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You must grease them during install, and then upon every oil change, per TMS.

Install was easy, I had to use emery cloth on the DS Control arms due so a tacky adhesive where the bushing was mounted, as well as clean up the threads on the DS as well, but they’re a lot easier to install than rubber. If you were installing new control arms at the time, the install could’ve been even easier because popping out the inner ball joint would prevent any binding while lining lollipop up with the chassis.
    - '03 ZHP Schwartz Sedan/6MT: Bistein/H&R, PFC Z-Rated, Square 235's, Supa-Silky-Soft Coby Treatment (194K)
    - '04 M3 Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Track Prepped, Loved, *Sold and Missed (114K)
    - '04 ZHP Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Koni/H&R, PFC08's, *Totaled By a Wild Subaru On The Highway (152K)
    - '84 Mercedes Benz 300D/4AT: Bilstein Komforts + Michelin Rubber = Uber Komfort! (Who Knows)
    - '11 Honda Civic Si Sedan/6MT: The other half's VTEC machine/ the car that needs no work. EVER. (122k)

Man I just pulled the TMS monoball FCABs out this morning for OE rubber. The one next to the exhaust was popping so bad once it got warm that I thought I had a crack in my subframe. I was ready to just ask for my money back but your review has me thinking I'll give them another shot.

Wow, sorry to hear that man. That’s strange, what were your grease intervals? Did you stick to moly grease? I’d definitely talk to TMS and tell them what’s going on. The design philosophy is direct steering with durability to boot, so I’d want my money back too if one of those elements are missing LOL.
    - '03 ZHP Schwartz Sedan/6MT: Bistein/H&R, PFC Z-Rated, Square 235's, Supa-Silky-Soft Coby Treatment (194K)
    - '04 ZHP Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Koni/H&R, PFC08's, *Totaled By a Wild Subaru On The Highway (152K)
    - '84 Mercedes Benz 300D/4AT: Bilstein Komforts + Michelin Rubber = Uber Komfort! (Who Knows)
    - '11 Honda Civic Si Sedan/6MT: The other half's VTEC machine/ the car that needs no work. EVER. (122k)

Quote Originally Posted by AWhiteZHP View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear that man. That’s strange, what were your grease intervals? Did you stick to moly grease? I’d definitely talk to TMS and tell them what’s going on. The design philosophy is direct steering with durability to boot, so I’d want my money back too if one of those elements are missing LOL.
    Oh it started right after install. I guess it was binding, but the bearing wasn't resisting motion from what I could tell and it was slam full of Redline CV-2 w/ moly. I'm already emailing with them about the loose fitment on one of the Lemforder control arms, so they're tabled for now.

Anyway, welcome and glad to see you continuing on what Whammy started! I see that you have a comfort wagon, so what made you opt for a ZHP for a toy instead of another M3?

Also, how do you like the PFC-Z pads with those rotors? I've been thinking about trying them out, but am struggling to find a good rotor to pair them with.

Great info re: TMS monoball. I recently went with the Z4M ones so won't be trying those anytime soon. Good to know for future options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by AWhiteZHP View Post
    You must grease them during install, and then upon every oil change, per TMS.
    Eff that action. State method of application. Thanks

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

ZHPizza- I'm interested to see how turner responds to your situation. I was surprised at how freely the monoball can rotate inside of it's housing, but I figure that Turner should have their manufacturing processes down pretty well by now.
    In regard to brakes- I really think that this combination is as good as it gets on the street and on an autox course without going to a BBK. The Z-Rated's need so little temperature to be effective and I have never felt them fade on the street, even with brisk downhill runs. Many M3 owners love them on the track, as they're incredibly easy to modulate. Depending on experience/driving style, you might be able to smoke them on a track but it'd better be hot, and you'll have to resemble a young Randy Pobst. I'll probably run these for a few of winter lapping days before deciding on my next pad.

Dane- Greasing the TMS Monoballs is about as easy as greasing any zerk. Basically, you need to attach TMS's(Schwaben's) needle adapter to the grease gun of your choice, the flush-style grease zerk is located at the 6 o'clock position on the back of the bushing housing. To grease, you press the needle end into the center of the fitting in order to depress the spring loaded ball which will allow grease to flow freely into the cavity. You do have to use a little finesse, but if you've ever greased any zerk, this will be cake.

So in other news, I was planning on running the DWS's throughout this winter because of their low temp range. The 235's make for a nice ride without much tramlining but I just couldn't find any confidence in them. After the monoballs went in, I could really tell how soft the Continental sidewall was. The solution was a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's in 245/35R18. The 235 Conti's were actually quite a bit taller at 25.4" versus the stock 25" tires, so going DOWN to a 245/35 gave me that little bit of simulated gear reduction, so it was a no-brainer all around.

Before I give my little review on this tire, know this: The PS4S is the Pilot Super Sport successor, and the PS4S is better in every way... so far at least. For reference of comparison, I've put the Potenza S-04, The Continental DW and DWS series and Pilot Super Sports through their paces in the past two years so I think my tire spidey senses are pretty in tune at the moment. I wanted to put a few hundred miles on the tires before reviewing, and I wanted to feel them in all temperatures and conditions (exc. snow/ice obviously). So now that the tires are scrubbed in, here's my verdict:

This is THE tire for anybody who puts a lot of miles on their car both on road and on track and wants a hyper-consistent tire that won't disintegrate in less than 10k miles. First, we'll talk about performance on the street! The first thing I noticed on the PS4S was the lack of noise and harshness compared to the PSS. The PSS always had good street manners, but they definitely felt more in their element when being driven above 6/10 whereas these PS4S's feel as compliant on the street as any performance tire I've been on. My fiance drives a '11 Civic Si on Pilot Sport A/S3's and I feel like they have a more traditional Pilot feel. The impressive part is how well they communicate given their road manners! I'm as confident putting this tire into a corner as I am with a warm R888. Throughout the corner you can feel what every tire is doing, where you need to transfer your weight, how close you are to the threshold and they get vocal when you start to toe the limit. It gets better as the tire warms up, but they also seem to behave better than the PSS in temps under 60*. The only downside, and this is so not something I would complain about with this setup but in comparison to the Conti's that came off, these do tramline more. As I've previously mentioned, our Colorado roads suck; they're crowned, grooved, faulted, cracked and full of craters. The tramlining is to be expected, and its actually not half as bad as the S-04's were on OEM FCAB's. I give the tire a 9/10. I cannot award that last point until I hit the track.

So with that said, I'd like to address something for anybody looking into tires and considering these. When researching their on-track performance, a lot of people had complained about the tire getting greasy after a few hard laps on hot days. Most of the drivers that feel this way are piloting high horsepower, heavy, RWD cars equipped with an LSD. This isn't a track tire, it's a street tire that can be driven on the track. While its possible to generate a lot of temperature in a Vette/Mustang GT/M3/M5/911/etc., I think only the most competent driver could surpass the limits of this tire on most tracks in an open-diff E46 unless you're severely over-driving the fronts. On HPR for example, that big right-handed sweeper can cook the rears with a limited slip easily, but I can't foresee this being an issue on the ZHP... yet. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I wont be able to verify this until next summer when the track will actually be warm enough to produce the needed heat.

Here's some more mediocre pictures showing the fitment of the 245's on mature H&R Sports. No rubbing, ever, no matter what.
    Name:  IMG_3515 (3).jpg
Views: 480
Size:  56.8 KB
    And the front.
    Name:  IMG_3516.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  37.4 KB

Thanks for the update! I have heard very little in the way of negative comments about the PS4Ses except for their price.

Updates....

Name:  icon9.gif
Views: 292
Size:  517 Bytes
    -Jeff | '19 JGC WK2

Sold: '03 ZHP

"There is a straight six engine at the front, a manual gear box in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That's page one, chapter one from the petrolsexual handbook." - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast