Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Update Alas!

Well, I certainly wouldn't call a 9 month update "fashionably late" but here we are!

I'll start off by saying that this has been the best ownership experience I've had. This car is rock solid, dead nuts reliable and I spend most of my time convinced that the odometer is lying to me. Supposably we're just a few thousand miles away the 200K milestone but the car act's and drives like it shipped out of Munich last week.

So being a BMW, it's probably fitting to cover the maintenance and repairs in the last year. With the exception of an inner tie rod that I killed in Compton, I've not had the slightest issue. Here's what I've done:
    -A deep cleaning, where I went through the car and removed every piece of corroded hardware and either polished it or replaced it. I'm a bit obsessive so I spent a total of ~20 hours cleaning 190K miles of debris out of every crevice I could find.

- This deep cleaning included a full "detail" where I shampooed all fabric and corrected the paint. I'm really impressed with how this pain has worn for the past 16 years. A light cut following clay revealed a nice, new layer of healthy clear coat. I then sealed the paint with CG Jet Seal, which I reapply after every wash. Honestly, I just need to go down the ceramic road because Colorado is f*cking brutal on paint... and everything else.Name:  IMG_0756.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  89.7 KB Name:  IMG_0753.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  104.1 KB Name:  IMG_0740.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  113.5 KB

- Right after this cleaning, I decided I'd drive the car across the country to SoCal for a few days because the Angeles forest has smoother roads than we do. Compton roads are not as good however, and after driving through what felt like 14 miles of rally stage, I could tell there was a tiny bit more play in the steering. So after the 1,000 mile drive home I replaced the worn out Meyle TR's with a fresh Lemfoerder(sp?) TR's. Alignment was set back to kill mode and off we went. Here is the aftermath of 2,400 miles in five days of driving. Fun fact; we encountered a surprise snow storm in the Utah mountains IN LATE MAY. PS4S's and icy roads led to countersteering down the shoulder of 7% grade for over a mile. DSC actually proved it's worth, as did the perfect weight distribution! Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  127.5 KB

- I changed the oil with Mobil 0W-40 at 189K and am getting ready to switch to Rotella T6 (now at 194K).

- I've neglected changing the old rear diff fluid because I want an excuse to go Wavetrac.

- I know some people are going to be upset with me not properly evacuating the A/C system, but I hooked a can of A/C Pro up and topped off the R134a. Vent temperatures are now 34* out of sunlight @ 95* ambient. This was done in March and the A/C is still just as efficent. One of the most enjoyable parts of owning this car, weird I know, is the stellar A/C performance despite lack of window tint. To my knowledge, the system is original and it's as healthy as can be. Name:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  103.4 KB

- I've worn through 2mil of PS4S on all four corners in about 8K miles. This is damn good given the heat cycles and slip angles seen by the tires. A. LOT.

- The TMS monoballs were regreased during the last oil change and I've enjoyed every minute on them, I'd still recommend them to anybody who puts their E46 through the ringer on less than perfect roads.

And that's all I've done. Last November I picked up an '84 MB 300D to restore and drive daily. I'd finished the mechanical restoration by January and deemed it "my daily driver", pulling the BMW into the garage. That lasted for a solid two weeks before the two cars traded places. This ZHP that I bought as a weekend canyon carver has became my everyday car, damn it! But I just don't care to drive anything else. When I wake up in the morning, I have to decide whether I'm going to drive a stock 2011 Civic SI, the diesel Benz or the Darkness. The Darkness wins almost every single day. The only fault stored in the DME has been an occupancy sensor (which I couldnt care less about). That's it. Nothing more.

This is what the future holds:
    - OEM engine and trans mounts from FCP should be here this week. I'm replacing these preventatively because I like keeping things in perfect order. The rubber is cracked but there's no movement under the hood, I could probably get away with these for another 60K miles if I didn't drive like I meant it.
    - I'll be switching to Rotella while I'm under there, and will also put some fresh Redline in the rear diff.

- A proper short shifter. I've never loved the E46's shift characteristics, I wish it felt like as good as the '11 Civic SI's. How do you guys like Rogue Engineering's Octane SSK? I've heard great things about them, I just hope it isnt TOO short. I like my shifter to be positive and confident and too short of a throw increases the likelihood of a pricey shift.

- A Wavetrac LSD. This is what I want more than anything, but it's also the most expensive. This car is super competent with an open diff, but it'd be so much better. I've dialed in the alignment to be as neutral as can be but I'd like a slight oversteer bias. I don't want to induce the understeer geometrically, thus an LSD is my only option. I'm not interested in the OS Giken or clutch type LSD's because of the added maintenance, the Wavetrac just seems like a great plug and play.

- Either BC Racing BR's or KW V3's. Obviously there's a huge price gap between the two, so I'll choose based on my choice to go LSD or not. The Bilstein HD's are still hanging in there, as are the H&R Springs, but I've lost some dampening as the setup is almost 60K miles old now.

- 2 of the VMR's are slightly out of round, so I'll be in the market for some stronger 17's as soon as these 18" PS4S's are spent.

Most ZHP owners fit adjustable sway bar's in an attempt to increase turn-in or induce oversteer. With an open diff, I think you're better off chucking the rear sway bar. Once I tie both rear wheels together with a Wavetrac I will re-evaluate.

Fuel Economy is consistently 25-26mpg while commuting, and 30-32 on the highway. I've been really impressed by this, because I think the pre-cat O2's are original so I'm not sure how they're still doing so well.

I want to note, for any prospective E46 owners, this is what happens when a car lives (most of) a life of religious maintenance. The PO coughwhammycough composed the most beautiful maintenance spreadsheet I've ever seen. The PO doesn't know this, but I thank him every single time I wake the M54 up just to see and hear it's perfectly quiet, perfectly smooth, perfect operation. I don't want to jinx myself by saying this, but having a 200K mile E46 be Honda reliable never gets old.

Here are some more festive photos
    Name:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  103.7 KB
    Somewhere in Angeles National Forest
    Name:  IMG_0686.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  70.8 KB

Edit (8/7/2019): I forgot that I replaced the main tensioner pulley with an INA unit for $10. Also, I'm on my second set of PFC Z-Rated pads. I'll run them until they're no longer sold, I'm convinced they're the best pad on the market for a street driven car that does light track duty. Only on a HARD downhill run on very few roads will I experience fade. I'm talking about repeated threshold braking, downhill, high altitude from 100+ down to 40ish. However, if there was an S54 under the hood, I'd need more friction area and a torquier pad.
    Last edited by AWhiteZHP; 08-07-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    - '03 ZHP Schwartz Sedan/6MT: Bistein/H&R, PFC Z-Rated, Square 235's, Supa-Silky-Soft Coby Treatment (194K)
    - '04 M3 Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Track Prepped, Loved, *Sold and Missed (114K)
    - '04 ZHP Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Koni/H&R, PFC08's, *Totaled By a Wild Subaru On The Highway (152K)
    - '84 Mercedes Benz 300D/4AT: Bilstein Komforts + Michelin Rubber = Uber Komfort! (Who Knows)
    - '11 Honda Civic Si Sedan/6MT: The other half's VTEC machine/ the car that needs no work. EVER. (122k)

Damn that's an obsessive amount of work - I love it!

Glad to hear that you're switching to Brotella. @704sw and I just did our oil pan gaskets and it's amazing how clean the Brotella keeps things compared to other oils.

For the short shifter - I've heard some bad feedback on the rogue kit and the UUC kit is obviously the mack daddy for shortness/notchiness. I have the BMW Performance shift lever sitting in the garage waiting to go in as it sounded like the best of both worlds: a shorter throw but maintains the BMW smoothness.

When you say you want a wavetrac diff, do you mean you want the wavetrac brand or a Helical diff? Because I have an MFactory Helical LSD for a 3.07 rear end in my garage. Can't install it in a higher final drive diff so I guess I need to sell it.

ZHPizza, I'm stoked to hear that you guys have had good look with T6. In a dream world, every vehicle I own would be on a strict (lol-B)rotella diet.
    And I should've said that the only helical diff I do not want is a Quaife; not a fan of the design. But I'd be more than interested in your Mfactory LSD if it fits my GI-Bill college student budget (hehehe).
    I really like the idea of the 330d shifter. If I went through and replaced every bushing/wear component, I wonder if it'd loose the notorious BMW rubber shifter feel. That'd be a good thing!
    Also, I owned my first ZHP while I was stationed at Bragg, these ZHP's have so much more umph at sea level, I'm jealous!
    - '03 ZHP Schwartz Sedan/6MT: Bistein/H&R, PFC Z-Rated, Square 235's, Supa-Silky-Soft Coby Treatment (194K)
    - '04 M3 Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Track Prepped, Loved, *Sold and Missed (114K)
    - '04 ZHP Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Koni/H&R, PFC08's, *Totaled By a Wild Subaru On The Highway (152K)
    - '84 Mercedes Benz 300D/4AT: Bilstein Komforts + Michelin Rubber = Uber Komfort! (Who Knows)
    - '11 Honda Civic Si Sedan/6MT: The other half's VTEC machine/ the car that needs no work. EVER. (122k)

Grt updates

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by AWhiteZHP View Post
    Well, I certainly wouldn't call a 9 month update "fashionably late" but here we are!

I'll start off by saying that this has been the best ownership experience I've had. This car is rock solid, dead nuts reliable and I spend most of my time convinced that the odometer is lying to me. Supposably we're just a few thousand miles away the 200K milestone but the car act's and drives like it shipped out of Munich last week.

So being a BMW, it's probably fitting to cover the maintenance and repairs in the last year. With the exception of an inner tie rod that I killed in Compton, I've not had the slightest issue. Here's what I've done:
    -A deep cleaning, where I went through the car and removed every piece of corroded hardware and either polished it or replaced it. I'm a bit obsessive so I spent a total of ~20 hours cleaning 190K miles of debris out of every crevice I could find.

- This deep cleaning included a full "detail" where I shampooed all fabric and corrected the paint. I'm really impressed with how this pain has worn for the past 16 years. A light cut following clay revealed a nice, new layer of healthy clear coat. I then sealed the paint with CG Jet Seal, which I reapply after every wash. Honestly, I just need to go down the ceramic road because Colorado is f*cking brutal on paint... and everything else.
    While I happy to hear the car has been quite reliable, it's a little painful to hear! I shouldn't have sold LOL. I'm glad you're giving her the attention she deserves. I wish I had skillz to do the type of cleaning you did. Refresh my memory, what did you do to resolve the rear tire rubbing the fenders?

Name:  IMG_0756.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  89.7 KB Name:  IMG_0753.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  104.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0740.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  113.5 KB

- Right after this cleaning, I decided I'd drive the car across the country to SoCal for a few days because the Angeles forest has smoother roads than we do. Compton roads are not as good however, and after driving through what felt like 14 miles of rally stage, I could tell there was a tiny bit more play in the steering. So after the 1,000 mile drive home I replaced the worn out Meyle TR's with a fresh Lemfoerder(sp?) TR's. Alignment was set back to kill mode and off we went. Here is the aftermath of 2,400 miles in five days of driving. Fun fact; we encountered a surprise snow storm in the Utah mountains IN LATE MAY. PS4S's and icy roads led to countersteering down the shoulder of 7% grade for over a mile. DSC actually proved it's worth, as did the perfect weight distribution!
    Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  127.5 KB

- I changed the oil with Mobil 0W-40 at 189K and am getting ready to switch to Rotella T6 (now at 194K).
    Why switch to T6? The only instance I've heard of using it is in Jeeps because of additives for the Jeep I6 4.0L engines and metal wear.

- I've neglected changing the old rear diff fluid because I want an excuse to go Wavetrac.
    Mmmmm, LSD!

- I know some people are going to be upset with me not properly evacuating the A/C system, but I hooked a can of A/C Pro up and topped off the R134a. Vent temperatures are now 34* out of sunlight @ 95* ambient. This was done in March and the A/C is still just as efficent. One of the most enjoyable parts of owning this car, weird I know, is the stellar A/C performance despite lack of window tint. To my knowledge, the system is original and it's as healthy as can be. Name:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  103.4 KB
    Glad to hear!

- I've worn through 2mil of PS4S on all four corners in about 8K miles. This is damn good given the heat cycles and slip angles seen by the tires. A. LOT.

- The TMS monoballs were regreased during the last oil change and I've enjoyed every minute on them, I'd still recommend them to anybody who puts their E46 through the ringer on less than perfect roads.

And that's all I've done. Last November I picked up an '84 MB 300D to restore and drive daily. I'd finished the mechanical restoration by January and deemed it "my daily driver", pulling the BMW into the garage. That lasted for a solid two weeks before the two cars traded places. This ZHP that I bought as a weekend canyon carver has became my everyday car, damn it! But I just don't care to drive anything else. When I wake up in the morning, I have to decide whether I'm going to drive a stock 2011 Civic SI, the diesel Benz or the Darkness. The Darkness wins almost every single day. The only fault stored in the DME has been an occupancy sensor (which I couldnt care less about). That's it. Nothing more.

This is what the future holds:
    - OEM engine and trans mounts from FCP should be here this week. I'm replacing these preventatively because I like keeping things in perfect order. The rubber is cracked but there's no movement under the hood, I could probably get away with these for another 60K miles if I didn't drive like I meant it.
    - I'll be switching to Rotella while I'm under there, and will also put some fresh Redline in the rear diff.

- A proper short shifter. I've never loved the E46's shift characteristics, I wish it felt like as good as the '11 Civic SI's. How do you guys like Rogue Engineering's Octane SSK? I've heard great things about them, I just hope it isnt TOO short. I like my shifter to be positive and confident and too short of a throw increases the likelihood of a pricey shift.

- A Wavetrac LSD. This is what I want more than anything, but it's also the most expensive. This car is super competent with an open diff, but it'd be so much better. I've dialed in the alignment to be as neutral as can be but I'd like a slight oversteer bias. I don't want to induce the understeer geometrically, thus an LSD is my only option. I'm not interested in the OS Giken or clutch type LSD's because of the added maintenance, the Wavetrac just seems like a great plug and play.

- Either BC Racing BR's or KW V3's. Obviously there's a huge price gap between the two, so I'll choose based on my choice to go LSD or not. The Bilstein HD's are still hanging in there, as are the H&R Springs, but I've lost some dampening as the setup is almost 60K miles old now.

- 2 of the VMR's are slightly out of round, so I'll be in the market for some stronger 17's as soon as these 18" PS4S's are spent.
    I'd be curious to see how a SSK improves the shifting of the car. I loved the shift when I removed the clutch delay value. To be honest, I wanted to change out both engine and trans mounts. Glad to hear you are doing it. I would not wait.

Most ZHP owners fit adjustable sway bar's in an attempt to increase turn-in or induce oversteer. With an open diff, I think you're better off chucking the rear sway bar. Once I tie both rear wheels together with a Wavetrac I will re-evaluate.

Fuel Economy is consistently 25-26mpg while commuting, and 30-32 on the highway. I've been really impressed by this, because I think the pre-cat O2's are original so I'm not sure how they're still doing so well.

I want to note, for any prospective E46 owners, this is what happens when a car lives (most of) a life of religious maintenance. The PO coughwhammycough composed the most beautiful maintenance spreadsheet I've ever seen. The PO doesn't know this, but I thank him every single time I wake the M54 up just to see and hear it's perfectly quiet, perfectly smooth, perfect operation. I don't want to jinx myself by saying this, but having a 200K mile E46 be Honda reliable never gets old.
    I miss the exhaust note and the morning drive to / evening drive home from work.

Here are some more festive photos
    Name:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  103.7 KB
    Somewhere in Angeles National Forest
    Name:  IMG_0686.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  70.8 KB
    #doubledoubleproteinstyle

Edit (8/7/2019): I forgot that I replaced the main tensioner pulley with an INA unit for $10. Also, I'm on my second set of PFC Z-Rated pads. I'll run them until they're no longer sold, I'm convinced they're the best pad on the market for a street driven car that does light track duty. Only on a HARD downhill run on very few roads will I experience fade. I'm talking about repeated threshold braking, downhill, high altitude from 100+ down to 40ish. However, if there was an S54 under the hood, I'd need more friction area and a torquier pad.
    -Jeff | '19 JGC WK2

Sold: '03 ZHP

"There is a straight six engine at the front, a manual gear box in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That's page one, chapter one from the petrolsexual handbook." - Jeremy Clarkson

Got your email today. Sorry to hear you can't find a roof rack. I'd check the FS section and maybe e46F. I can't believe they're going for 500+
    -Jeff | '19 JGC WK2

"There is a straight six engine at the front, a manual gear box in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That's page one, chapter one from the petrolsexual handbook." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
    Got your email today. Sorry to hear you can't find a roof rack. I'd check the FS section and maybe e46F. I can't believe they're going for 500+
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

There is one in the classifieds

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Which roof racks are going for $500?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
    Uhh I have two of those in the garage as well...

I should sell some shit

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Uhh I have two of those in the garage as well...

I should sell some shit
    -Jeff | '19 JGC WK2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast