Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Best code reader/reset tool?

I had a Peake scanner/reset tool years ago but cannot find it after 3 moves. So I was wondering if there is a better option available, perhaps even one that has a Bluetooth component that works with an Android app? Looking to spend as little as possible and still get something as comprehensive as the old Peake tools. There are so many options available but it is not clear if that are accurate and thorough for BMWs, E46s in particular.

Thanks!

The tools that are used on the current cars (>F30) are Carly & BimmerCode/BimmerLink - these can turn on/off features & do diagnostics via a dongle & Bluetooth/WiFi.
    The Foxwell NT 510 is another diagnostic tool that plugs into your OBDII port. The Schwaben BMW/Mini Scan Tool is a repackaged version.
    I don't know what they offer to the E46 platform, but check them out & let us know what you find. Good luck!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Thanks. I was hoping technology advances and competition since I purchased the Peake tool meant I could get a decent BMW code reader at a lower cost. I see a bunch of $20-$50 dongle/app combos on Amazon, etc. Are any of those adequate? Tempted to try Carly.

I have the Schwaben/Foxwell tool mentioned above. It is pretty good at reading codes, and the nice thing is it reads BMW specific codes, and you can add on another manufacturer to it for $60. The downside is it really sucks at displaying live data in a comprehensive and easy to read way. In fact, I have not updated the software yet, and it is not saving the live data, displaying some sort of "linking error" every time.
    jfoj from e46fanatics recommended trying OBDFusion. It's a mobile app and people really seem to like it.
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

I'm using this: https://www.renovelo.com/bytelogger/

A little more complicated and it uses a laptop but it can read and reset codes as well as log an insane amount of data. Several of us are using this for tuning
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Great news fellas.. OBDeleven, a device that currently only works with VW/Audi and their sub-brands, is working on BMW support. It's an OBD dongle similar to Carly - but without the onerous "subscription" model, and much more friendly pricing as a result. You can manually code stuff, or they include "apps" that perform specific tasks without needing to code them "by hand", in exchange for credits that you can purchase, or a bunch come with the device when purchased. It's a really slick device for VAG products, and it's an all-new v2 dongle they're now working on that will support iOS in addition to current support for Android.

I'll be on this like a hobo on a ham sandwich as soon as BMW support is released. In the meantime I have the v1 device and it's been useful a zillion times and has been well worth its modest cost. I'll update this eventually when BMW support is officially released.

http://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/53...d-obd11-stable

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    The tools that are used on the current cars (>F30) are Carly & BimmerCode/BimmerLink - these can turn on/off features & do diagnostics via a dongle & Bluetooth/WiFi.
    The Foxwell NT 510 is another diagnostic tool that plugs into your OBDII port. The Schwaben BMW/Mini Scan Tool is a repackaged version.
    I don't know what they offer to the E46 platform, but check them out & let us know what you find. Good luck!
    I have the Schwaben version of the foxwell nt510 and it is a good tool but it is expensive. I paid $250 for mine but it is nice to get BMW specific codes. That said, often you will get no returns on web searches when you use the BMW specific code.

What I would recommend is buying an OBDII bluetooth adapter like the OBDLink MX. This device is pretty cheap considering and can be used with a handful of different apps, with OBDfusion and Torque Pro being the best ones. App and device is under $50 and you can read and reset codes. The advantage to these types of devices is that you can also run data logs, and the information is already on your phone, so sharing it is easy. If you look in my build / maintenance thread you will see a little more on each of these devices, and you can see some screen shots and data from the OBDLink.