Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cooling Overhaul - Overkill or not?

Hi all,

I am new to the thread, just picked up the car a couple of weeks ago, everything is going great. I want to re-do the whole cooling system to have a rock solid reliability as I daily drive the car atleast 50miles per day. I have read tons of reviews/threads/complaints about some OEM or aftermarket parts made with plastics that tend to end up having hairline cracks after a while. I have also read the exact same complaints about circulation/functional issues with metal aftermarket counterparts like mishimoto's ET.

I am about to order some parts, and the parts include the Stewart WP, the CSF Aluminum radiator kit + pipes, the OEM ET, Zionsville thermostat + belts and pulleys. I am wondering if anyone had any reviews on running similar setup for similar situations and whether if its actually overkill to spend close to 1k on a cooling overhaul when other kits sell it for about half the price.

(I am pretty set on the stewart pump, opened to anything else.)

PS: I plan on DD the car in Socal, weekend canyon visits, occasional track visits.

Personally it is overkill and the Stewart pump is not worth the extra money.

If you want a kit, get the one from FCP Euro or something similar.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-mangocoolkit1

And then add the additional items they recommend.

The E46 cooling system is pretty robust if parts are replaced in a group and alot of people that track their cars have no issues with the factory parts. Spend the extra money on other mods or maintenance. (brakes,tires,etc)

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

How many miles on the car? If it is relatively low i.e. you can see your self doing another overhaul during your ownership somewhere down the line, then you could just buy OE parts from FCP euro, and replace them for free when/if it comes to it. That is kind of the route I went with a lot of my preventative maintenance items.
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

The car has about 170k miles, the PO did the overhaul around 30-40k miles ago, and the ET cracked recently so it was recently replaced.

How does FCP euro's return work? Is it just lifetime warranty on the parts?

I actually get more peace of mind replacing all my cooling system parts every 120k-ish miles, so found that upgrading to the Stewart pump or an all-aluminum radiator isn't worth the price for me personally. My 120k-ish mile interval comes in about 4 years. After tracking the car and daily driving about 30k a year, the cooling system always seems to hold up pretty well as long as I replace it around that 120k mark.

Since I buy all my stuff from FCP, I don't have to pay for cooling system components anymore. My last refresh was mostly all free due to the lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by kw740735 View Post
    How does FCP euro's return work? Is it just lifetime warranty on the parts?
    Every single part they sell is lifetime warrantied. Parts don't necessary have to fail to utilize the warranty. They understand some components need to be replaced preventatively, so they take even non-failed but worn items back as well.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Funny thing is they used to only replace non-performance parts, but within the last year they changed the policy to EVERYTING they sell
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

GL. A few SoCals around, including me. Where abouts? I bought a Stewart at a discounted price but have not yet installed it. I also went with silicon hoses and of course, the expansion tank which is the weak link.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Got it, thanks for all your responses! I am located downtown but am on the west side alot! Hit me up @johnrando!

A couple of us in the South Bay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Autozone.com
    My first time I went all aftermarket. Had poor fitting parts etc. part failure. Second time I went all OEM. Everything fit perfectly and time spent NOT hassling with poor fitting parts and headaches like before made up for the added cost.

Go OEM if you have the coin. Just my one experience.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast