Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I got the Stewart and the GAS cap. I don't ever plan on having an issue. 40k miles so far. Almost time for a coolant flush actually.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraphic View Post
    My first time I went all aftermarket. Had poor fitting parts etc. part failure. Second time I went all OEM. Everything fit perfectly and time spent NOT hassling with poor fitting parts and headaches like before made up for the added cost.

Go OEM if you have the coin. Just my one experience.
    I share this sentiment. I did my car through Turner which used one or two non-OEM parts. Difficult as hell to get the upper hoses to attach to the thermostat. I bought all OEM for my sister's car and it went together like it was made to fit (who woulda thunk?)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I share this sentiment. I did my car through Turner which used one or two non-OEM parts. Difficult as hell to get the upper hoses to attach to the thermostat. I bought all OEM for my sister's car and it went together like it was made to fit (who woulda thunk?)
    Yup, the hose on the aftermarket kit was extremely difficult to get on. And, the metal clip wouldn’t engage properly.

The water pump impeller also self-destructed on the graf(?) unit.

My wonderful wife (who wrenches with me) found this piece sitting just inside the WP housing!!!

I have no idea if there are other bits inside my engine anywhere or not. I had no cooling problems or noises because of it. At 145k now.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

That's a metal impeller pump. Looks like the bearing failed and started wobbling in there. The composite impeller is completely different looking. I've had both the OEM and a Bosch metal impeller. The Bosch pump lasted about 40K. The bearing went and started making a racket. I replaced with an OEM pump and it's still going strong.
    There's a big following on the internet that the composite impeller fails. This is just not true. Parts suppliers hype it up to sell parts. Composite impellers are impervious to erosion in low PH environments and the are lighter weight which puts less stress on the bearing. My whole cooling system is OEM. At 145K miles, some of the parts are still original like the lower hose and radiator.
    My car is super charged and my water pump is under driven and I live in SC where it's hot as hell.... never have had any over heating issue... not even close
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    There's a big following on the internet that the composite impeller fails. This is just not true. Parts suppliers hype it up to sell parts. Composite impellers are impervious to erosion in low PH environments and the are lighter weight which puts less stress on the bearing. My whole cooling system is OEM. At 145K miles, some of the parts are still original like the lower hose and radiator.
    My car is super charged and my water pump is under driven and I live in SC where it's hot as hell.... never have had any over heating issue... not even close
    P R E A C H

BMW IS STUPID FOR USING A COMPOSITE MATERIAL IN A HIGHLY CORROSIVE ENVIRONMENT Y'ALL TRUST ME I'M IN HIGH SCHOOL AND KNOW A LOT MORE THAN GERMAN ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    That's a metal impeller pump. Looks like the bearing failed and started wobbling in there. The composite impeller is completely different looking. I've had both the OEM and a Bosch metal impeller. The Bosch pump lasted about 40K. The bearing went and started making a racket. I replaced with an OEM pump and it's still going strong.
    Yes, that’s my aftermarket “highly improved” metal impeller WP. Sigh...

Now I’m running an OEM BMW WP.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Yep, I learned my lesson too.. glad I caught mine before it grenaded itself like yours. I should of known better having worked on pumps for 15 years back in the day... I got sucked into the hype
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Autozone.com
    +1 on the OEM water pump.

Just replace in at the standard intervals
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12