Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

She Wanted the D - E90D Log

I mentioned in another thread that my wife was bored of her Civic and was looking to trade it in for something a bit less reliable
    So we got a 2011 335d, in black, comfort package, 74k on the clock.

Engine:
    Stock M57D30
    282 hp
    428 ft-lbs of twerk

Suspension:
    Stock

Interior:
    Stock

Exterior:
    Stock

Wheels:
    Stock

Not sure exactly what my wife's plans are for this one, but I'm curious to see what becomes of it. I'll keep a running log here for your enjoyment.

Now story time!
    3 days after driving off the lot, the CEL comes on. I'm very impressed that it took 3 days! Could've sworn it would've been the cliche "drive off the lot, car breaks down" scenario. I grab my trusty OBDLink scan tool and get a P2201 NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance and a P20EE Manufacturer Defined DTCs. I had no clue what P20EE consists of because at the time I had a cheap DCAN cable which didn't work.

Off to Google for answers! "P20EE is a generic code, you need a BMW scan tool to see the real faults." Well shit...thanks Google. Let's just say I returned that cable and bought a BimmerGeeks cable. I'll need it for this car

We set an appointment for the dealer who was great! They took care of us, no problem! The damage? Something around $1200, covered by BMWNA because of extended emissions warranty for diesels. *High five*

A few days later, car goes into limp mode. I'm thinking WTF is it now. By this time I have ISTA+ and my cable installed. I hook it up to the car and read the stored DTCs. How many codes were pulled? All of the codes...

If you know anything about BMW diesels for North America, you know that they are hindered by a TERRIBLE emissions system which causes a ton of carbon buildup on the intake valves, manifold, etc. It's a much worse condition that the 335i because of the aggressiveness of the EGR systems in these cars. This issue we were prepared for as we did have the car inspected before purchase and had some costs taken off for the cleaning procedure to be done. We weren't expecting it to neuter the car this bad and this soon! We called around our local shops and even the dealership and everyone wanted either $1600+ or were not able to do it at all. Ouch. I then remembered that AArodriguez Corp (Popular VW and BMW diesel tuning company) was in Dallas, GA. (not too far from us). I gave them a call...lo and behold...they do CBU cleaning. I requested a quote for that, plus vacuum line replacement and swirl flap delete. The total came out to be $1208.11 and beat everyone's prices by at least $400. The icing on the cake is that they can perform the procedure in a day, while the others would take 4 or more days. Incredible. I hope it's not a too good to be true deal. We'll find out this upcoming Tuesday.

And here is a teaser pic of the Black D:

Eventually I'll have a free weekend to do/attempt paint correction and get some proper photos!
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Very cool, and bummer about the problems.... I had heard similar reliability concerns with the 335d.

What do you think of the E90 in terms of an overall car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Don't know much bout the diesels but some of the techs at the dealership buy these for dirt cheap, remove the emissions systems and program it. Then they are beasts...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Yup. We’ll be removing those parts in the F10 535d then getting it tuned and programmed to be more reliable and bulletproofed. I’m seeing low 12 second quarter miles so that should be plenty of “twerk” for city and highway driving. lol

My friend has an E90 335d and eats E90Ms for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    What do you think of the E90 in terms of an overall car?
    Once I get some more seat time in her, I can give a better assessment. As an overall package, it is well balanced. It is truly a swiss army knife of a vehicle. Power, handling, efficiency (people get up to 45 mpg with a tune and some other work), tech (iDrive isn't as bad as the internet makes it out to be). You know a car is good when it is broken and still surprises you in a good way of course.

They are cheap! < $10k can put you in a potent daily driver. I think we'll let the warranty run out on the emissions systems, then gut it and tune it. As long as it can eat these Camaros, Challengers/Chargers, and Mustangs around Atlanta, I'll be satisfied.
    -Corey

Alrighty. We did get the car back on Friday from AARodriguez. Awesome people up there. They made such an impression that this will be our go-to diesel shop from now on.

So far we have had:
    Both NOx sensors replaced
    Carbon cleaned
    Swirl Flaps Deleted
    Vacuum lines replaced
    Passenger side engine mount replaced (This car uses fancy pneumatic mounts ooooooo, ahhhhhhh!)

Car feels much better, as would any car that didn't operate in limp mode. Fast forward a few days to today, my wife informed me that the P20EE code came back. I immediately want to douse the car in petrol and burn it, but I decided not to. I'll have to grab the cable again and see what's up. This summer we were planning on a full delete because of the glass emissions system, but seeing this ish happen might bump it up even sooner!!

4D16 SCR system, efficiency. Probably a clogged urea injector from the car actually trying to regen for the first time in who knows how long.
    Last edited by DeathTrap; 11-06-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    -Corey

I’m excited to see how the D treats you. I’ve longed for one of these for quite a while, and when my beater, commuter Corolla dies, I’ll be looking into one as well.
    It seems like everybody who goes down the full delete road is thrilled with it. Tuned/deleted acceleration is mental for a car like this that can see 30mpg in almost all conditions.
    - '03 ZHP Schwartz Sedan/6MT: Bistein/H&R, PFC Z-Rated, Square 235's, Supa-Silky-Soft Coby Treatment (194K)
    - '04 M3 Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Track Prepped, Loved, *Sold and Missed (114K)
    - '04 ZHP Alpine White Coupe/6MT: Koni/H&R, PFC08's, *Totaled By a Wild Subaru On The Highway (152K)
    - '84 Mercedes Benz 300D/4AT: Bilstein Komforts + Michelin Rubber = Uber Komfort! (Who Knows)
    - '11 Honda Civic Si Sedan/6MT: The other half's VTEC machine/ the car that needs no work. EVER. (122k)

My city/suburb commute nets me 36MPG in the 535d. Country driving is 44MPG and high speed interstate driving is 40MPG. Not bad for a heavy 5er.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

That's not bad at all.

Welp. The D has been in the shop(dealer) since like Tuesday. My wife has been driving the 320i loaner for the time being. I'm going to try and get my hands on it this weekend. I have very little sunlight nowadays when I get back home.

She likes the 320i. Her thoughts:
    It shifts faster than the E90. It's comfortable and easy to drive. It's a big car. She feels carefree in it, as in all her worries go away. I'm still not quite sure what that means? Maybe lack of check engine lights lol. She's not really a hardcore car person.
    -Corey

The 320i is a good car. I got one as a loaner 2 years ago and 1 year later I bought an F30 335i.

What work is the dealer going to do on the D ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast