Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

peter's X3 - not a 'project' thread ;)

nate suggested i make a project thread for the X3. well... since it's my wife's car, i don't want it to be a 'project' car - that would be certain disaster.

however, it is a good idea to chronicle maintenance and interesting tidbits, because this is kind of a cool car.

(i just realized that the word 'tidbit', if spelled in lowercase, would read the same if reflected in a mirror. huh.)

specs:

- 2007 BMW X3 3.0si (N52K - 260hp)
    - 6-speed
    - black sapphire metallic on black montana leather
    - M Sport package with a lot of options (no lumbar though)... meaning anthracite headliner, M Sport body bits, M steering wheel, etc
    - 284K KMs when purchased (288K KMs currently as of 10/26/17)
    - 100% stock except for a sprint booster
    - 1/6 canadian spec
    - co-designed and built by magna-steyr in austria - interesting tidbit

impressions:

it's a small 'SAV'...5-seater...rear-biased AWD...weird amalgamation of E46 rear suspension and E90 front suspension...6-speed manual...kinda-comfy-and-kinda-sporty...can tow 3000lbs...7000rpm redline machine. it's a weird anomaly in the automotive marketplace, but kinda just right for our family. we didn't need the 3rd row seating any longer, and needed something with better fuel economy, and my wife likes sitting up high (i kinda do, too), and wanted a manual, so.... enter the 6-speed X3. it actually gets decent fuel economy too - we averaged about 26mpg on our first road trip with it. the interior is nicer and better built than the E90, but still no match for the timeless blend of design/functionality/quality of the E46 interior.... and it has some rattles and plasticky creaks. the doors don't close, or sound as nicely on closing, as the E46. the panoramic sunroof can be a little noisy when closed, but it lets so much light into the cabin, especially for rear-seat occupants... and on a clear night, star gazing is actually possible through the glass. it's pretty sweet. suspension is firm (and a little crashy, but it has 288K KMs on the stock dampers) and steering is really darn good for an SAV. brakes are as you would expect from BMW - ample. M Sport wheel is awesome. the engine is pretty nice - doesn't have as much grunt down low as the M54B30 (likely because it weighs 4000lbs), but the top end of this N52K is impressive - it pulls really well above 5K and feels like it could keep pulling hard above 7K. coupled with the 6-speed... in a platform like this... it's a little weird to think about, but it does offer a bit of dual-personality for the driver. i like it.

changes:

it's no secret that i like to tweak stuff. but i like to really get to know the vehicle, and then figure out what it needs to fix it's shortcomings to be more of what my vision is for the vehicle. and for this thing... well, not much. it needs to stay reliable, and it needs to stay comfortable. but it does need a bit more noise, and it does need some better body and drivetrain control - that said, the rear diff mount is shot and allows for a lot of drivetrain movement. also, clutch engagement is very sensitive. so, here's my plans thus far:

- replace dirty air filter with aFe drop-in dry filter (done yesterday)
    - koni FSDs with new upper mounts (ordered)
    - poly rear diff mount (received)
    - replace front upper control arm bushings (one is on it's way out)
    - replace RTABs with OE lemfoerder M3-spec bushings (already have)
    - replace outer RCABs with new OE lemfoerder spherical bearings
    - CDV delete
    - check/replace driveshaft flex disc and carrier bearing/hanger
    - remove sprint booster (the PO liked it, but i find the throttle is just way too sensitive on initial tip-in with it engaged)
    - retrofit power lumbar into the stock sport seats (found a DIY, looks easy enough; have the parts already)
    - fill stock squishy trans mount with 80A durometer poly; this will double-benefit me with less drivetrain slop and more engine noise
    - refresh the shift linkage (have parts already)
    - de-badge the butt
    - polish the headlight lenses and cover with protectant film
    - black grilles, maybe
    - yellow fogs (the front end is a little too monochromatic for me)
    - get rid of the staggered 19" wheels, and go for a more aggressive 18" square setup... currently 19x8.5 ET46 and 19x9 ET51... thinking 18x8.5 ET35-ish... with either 235/55/18 (28.2" diameter) or 255/55/18 (29" diameter) rubber.. stock size is 27.2" diameter, which looks a little diminutive in the giant wheel wells. plus, it will help with the ride quality, which was choppy with the 19s, and better with the OEM 18" winter wheels on 235/50/18 rubber. just not sure if i'm going to go with a performance street tire, or an AT tire.

maintenance/issues:

- replaced bad front swaybar endlinks
    - had a misfire on cyl #5 last week... replaced the coil pack
    - throwing random 'power on reset' and 'general reset' codes in the EWS module... when this happens, headlights and gauge cluster flickers, beeps, and sometimes resets and the clock resets. weird. not impacting driveability, but a definite annoyance. troubleshooting currently.
    - replaced the dirty air filter with an aFe dry drop-in filter; also removed the 'do not remove' charcoal filter downstream of the regular air filter... it's probably clogged and not effective anymore, since apparently it really only has a 1- or 2-year lifespan. car runs a lot smoother.
    - rear diff mount is bad; replacing soon
    - some little rust spots... one on the inside of the LF door near the lower hinge, the passenger side mirror base is bubbling... and there is a scrape on the rear hatch that needs attention. it's remarkably clean underneath.

anyway... so that's that.

and some pics. who doesn't like pics? i think i posted these before.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by slater; 10-26-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    nate suggested i make a project thread for the X3. well... since it's my wife's car, i don't want it to be a 'project' car - that would be certain disaster.

however, it is a good idea to chronicle maintenance and interesting tidbits, because this is kind of a cool car.
    There's a section for that:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forum...20-Maintenance

:D

Nice! Reading your description for why you bought it basically mirrors what I would look for in an SUV/SAV, minus the whole wife's involvement.

P.S. what is 288 kilometers in freedom units AKA smoots?

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    aha! good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Nice! Reading your description for why you bought it basically mirrors what I would look for in an SUV/SAV, minus the whole wife's involvement.

P.S. what is 288 kilometers in freedom units AKA smoots?
    you mean Trump Units? about 177K. i think KMs are the new 'freedom units', LOL.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

177k? Damn son, I wasn’t even at 90k on the X3 when I bought the blue car.

Btw, the file names are funny.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Looks/sounds nice... My wife has always hated the X3 because of quality/reliability issues and the fact that it wasn't built by BMW... I guess she gets a little jaded working at a BMW dealership...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    177k? Damn son, I wasn’t even at 90k on the X3 when I bought the blue car.

Btw, the file names are funny.
    ha, well... it's been well-maintained. plus, high miles = good price. i'm pleased with what i spent on it, considering the mileage. that said... the random 'power on reset' issue i stated in the OP where the gauge cluster resets, well... my wife is not pleased with that. i need to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Looks/sounds nice... My wife has always hated the X3 because of quality/reliability issues and the fact that it wasn't built by BMW... I guess she gets a little jaded working at a BMW dealership...
    that's kinda ironic, because it actually has pretty amazing reliability ratings, especially compared to the X5! i don't think i wouldn't bought one with the GM auto trans, though.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

peter's X3 - not a 'project' thread 😉

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    ha, well... it's been well-maintained. plus, high miles = good price. i'm pleased with what i spent on it, considering the mileage. that said... the random 'power on reset' issue i stated in the OP where the gauge cluster resets, well... my wife is not pleased with that. i need to figure it out.

that's kinda ironic, because it actually has pretty amazing reliability ratings, especially compared to the X5! i don't think i wouldn't bought one with the GM auto trans, though.
    Mine was 5 years old, with 52k when I bought it. Let’s just say it’s a good thing insurance paid well over top dollar for the Mazda. I got a great deal vs. market value, but it was by far the most expensive automotive purchase I’ve made.

Reliability: it has the same transfer case issues that plague every AWD BMW. The sunroof issue arises because it’s fully powered, which all pano roofs are. At this age if it fails you just leave it shut and forget about it. The GM tranny just isn’t super smooth, but it’s fairly reliable. Other than that, it’s actually pretty rock solid. The N52 was the last BMW N/A I-6, and really as reliable as the M5x motors before it.

Edit: I should also mention it shifts *significantly* smoother in steptronic, which leads me to think it’s a software issue more than a hardware issue.

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Reliability: it has the same transfer case issues that plague every AWD BMW. The sunroof issue arises because it’s fully powered, which all pano roofs are. At this age if it fails you just leave it shut and forget about it. The GM tranny just isn’t super smooth, but it’s fairly reliable. Other than that, it’s actually pretty rock solid. The N52 was the last BMW N/A I-6, and really as reliable as the M5x motors before it.
    yes, most folks don't change the t-case oil, and the plastic t-case actuator motor gear strips too. fortunately the t-case oil was changed by the PO with the BMW stuff, and i have a replacement plastic gear on order, just in case i need it.

the sunroof works great, but does have a couple of rattles that i can only hear when the shade is open. i would definitely fix it if it breaks - the family loves it.

i won't have the trans issues, fortunately. and i think i fixed the power-on reset issues - even though the battery tested fine (12.4v at rest, and 14.1v constant through the cluster diagnostic menu), i replaced it and have done about 200km over 5-6 trips without any issues - so hopefully that was it. it definitely seemed like a voltage issue.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Very nice! I’m glad you were able to get that sorted out.

I used to drive with the sunroof open in the Volvo/Mazda year round, but I kinda got out of the habit in the X3. Partly I was afraid of something breaking (never had a motorized shade before, and I made the mistake of reading horror stories online), partly I was often running late to class (didn’t want to wait the extra 10 seconds for the larger glass to slide closed, and didn’t like the idea of closing it while the car was moving). I loved how both panes of glass tilted though. It got great cabin flow through, and the doggos loved trying to stick their noses up from the cargo area to sniff the back tilted section For that same reason, they love the pop out quarter windows in the coupe.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast