Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What bluetooth options are there going into 2019?

I bought a ZSP for my wife with 100% original non-Navigation stereo. She's moving from a 2010 car that had an Aux input, and that's a feature I'm looking to bring to this ZSP. She wants just bluetooth connectivity for music and making calls while maintaining OE look. No nav or running applications/video. I believe it's a 10/2003 build.

I have a DICE Media Bridge in my ZHP, but it's not up to most people's standards. It has difficulty maintaining a bluetooth connection sometimes and has a bit of alternator whine. As a comparison, the $60 deck I put on my 1995 Miata early this year connects in under 10 seconds to my phone every time, never disconnects and has no sound quality issues.

I don't have a set budget yet, as I'm willing to consider all options. It looks like there's only 2 options:
    1.) Some kind of Android or iOS based system.
    - I was leaning this way until I realized how much is involved in adding this to a car without Factory Navigation. I'm not opposed to it, but if there's better alternatives for option #2 (down below), then I'd prefer that
    2.) Something that plugs into the car's existing stereo system, similar to my DICE Media Bridge.
    - Are there other options out there?

So, what's the best options out there?

And now, the car does not have bluetooth as an option from factory; it's simply "pre-wired."

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

This is what I put into my 2004 ZHP. BUT it only does voice, no music

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential..._bluetooth.htm

I also installed the factory iPod adapter which uses the trunk CD changer input for an iPod.

Not the most elegant setup, but it works for me. When I changed from an HDD-based iPod to a flash iPod Nano, also had to get the adaptor that drops the voltage.

I don't think there is a non-nav head unit for the e46 that supports A2DP so you can stream music through bluetooth.
    2004 330i E46 with ZHP performance package and cold weather package

Do you have an Aux port? I’ve been happy with one of these. Calls and music are clear.

It's actually pretty easy to upgrade to an Android based unit. The nav cars are the PITA because the harness has to go all the way to the trunk. With a stick business radio, all you need is an HVAC relocation kit. You can do the whole thing while sitting in the driver's seat.

If you want to keep factory radio, I highly recommend Dension's Gateway products. This is what I had before I changed to an Android unit and was super happy with it.

It looks like Dension has more products available for the E46 compared to when I had mine, so you should have a good selection to choose from.

https://www.dension.com/automotive/c...e%20module.%20

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I wanted 100% stock look, and I have to say I have no complaints about the Grom BT3 purchased and professionally installed in my convertible by my local car stereo shop. I have a non-nav car, and BT sound quality is fine for me, plus the steering wheel controls work for both stereo and phone calls. Mic is tucked neatly away around the rear view mirror. People tell me voice quality is good even with the top down. It's trunk mounted (there is a behind the radio version) and I recall that I was $339 out the door
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    It's actually pretty easy to upgrade to an Android based unit. The nav cars are the PITA because the harness has to go all the way to the trunk. With a stick business radio, all you need is an HVAC relocation kit. You can do the whole thing while sitting in the driver's seat.

If you want to keep factory radio, I highly recommend Dension's Gateway products. This is what I had before I changed to an Android unit and was super happy with it.

It looks like Dension has more products available for the E46 compared to when I had mine, so you should have a good selection to choose from.

https://www.dension.com/automotive/c...e%20module.%20

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Is t the hvac relocation kit like $160?

Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    Is t the hvac relocation kit like $160?

Over $200, actually. Pretty ridiculous since I bought mine for less than $120 with tax, and that was the high price at the time.
    I thought you were referring to ease of install in the first post, not price.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

If it’s what I have to do to meet the requirements, I’ll deal.

At this point I’m leaning toward a unit from Dension.

Grayson Terry of 865 Retrofits posted this video the other day. Uses something that plugs into the 3.5 mm AUX jack. $10 shipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVNu...jriwOOzcv0_e8Q
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast