Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage

Winter Storage

I have a two part question today:
    1. This past summer I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on the car (The tires are incredible). My previous Super Sports had the recommendation of not driving below 40 degrees.
    The 4S include the following warning: "not intended to be serviced, stored, nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. I live outside the Washington D.C. area. It is not constantly below freezing but we have a fair amount of days. I've always tried to drive the car several times a month during the winter rather than letting it sit all winter. Do you think it will be a problem stored in a non-heated garage?
    2. I can store the tires in my basement if necessary. I spoke with Quickjack. yesterday. They told me that as long as I disconnected the hydraulic lines the lift can remain elevated indefinitely. Will the car be okay sitting on the four jackpoints for the winter?

Thanks for your advice

I've heard of summer tires cracking in cold temperatures, so I would recommend storing in the basement.

I plan on storing my imola zhp on a quick jack and a battery tender. I live 2 hours south of DC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Moved to the south.

Only reason solution.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

I have heard that storing a car on stands is not good for the suspension. I can tell you that I have stored two different E46’s on Michelins through two different Vermont winters—rolling a bit once every week or two and keeping 50psi in the tires—and I’ve had no problems with flat spots on the tires.

I also use a battery tender and keep a full tank with some gas stabilizer in it.
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 11-11-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

I store my Pontiac with Jack stands under the suspension so the suspension is loaded but the tires are off the ground. That car gets stored for much longer periods than just winter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) the cold is not good for summer tires, they can cause them to both crack and harden prematurely. I remove my good summers and store them in the basement (not near the furnace, the ozone from the electric motor can damage the tires too)
    (2) it is not a good idea to store a car with the suspension at full droop. If you are going to put it on a Quickjack, I would follow JETSET's suggestion and prop up the suspension so that it's in a neutral position.

What I do is keep a set of "beater" tires (usually my old set) on a second set of wheels. I use those for winter storage, and for a driving at the beginning of the season when the roads are full of potholes.
    orange260z

2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe PDK/Sport Chrono Plus - Porsche Racing Green / Sand Beige Full Leather
    1999 Miata - Brilliant Black/Tan Leather

I have stored mine on the ground, but moved it a couple times during the winter.
    Putting it in the air is bad for the rubber bushings on the suspension.
    I have seen people get a “storage set” of wheels/tires for when it won’t be moving, and store the expensive Michelins in the basement or closet.
    The most space effective is 4 spare (donut spare) wheels.
    I have Michelin AS3+ on my ZHP and haven’t had any flat spot issues over 3 or 4 months.
    Do you guys take collision coverage off of the car during the winter months?
    I’m about to winterize my ZHP as well.

BMW CCA # 510252

Dang I never thought about storage conditions for summer tires through the winter, thought I was safe just throwing my winters on the ZHP and leaving the super sports in my wooden shed through just one Chicago winter so far. Was planning on doing the same again this winter but y'all have me second guessing my methods lol

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    Dang I never thought about storage conditions for summer tires through the winter, thought I was safe just throwing my winters on the ZHP and leaving the super sports in my wooden shed through just one Chicago winter so far. Was planning on doing the same again this winter but y'all have me second guessing my methods lol
    I leave mine in the garage and they're just fine when I take them out again. Since I park my car in there, the temps stay warmer overall, but it's still in the 40's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast