Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is my Valve Cover Gasket going?

Here is the situation.....

My car sat most of last weekend. On Sunday I took it out to drop a movie off at the Redbox and go to the store to pickup a few things. While sitting in the car waiting for my wife to get back from dropping the movie off I started smelling burning oil. After a couple of seconds it passed, so I dismissed it. A few minutes later it came back, and I noticed some smoke coming out of the hood. I cut the car off and popped the hood to get a closer look. When I opened the hood, it looked like the smoke was coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. From what I can tell it looks like oil was dripping on the exhaust (??) and since I had not driven the car in a few days, it pooled up, and burnt off once the exhaust got warm.

My guess is the Valve Cover Gasket, but I just wanted to see if you guys had any other thoughts. I plan on doing a little closer inspection, and hopefully pin pointing the least this weekend, but I must say that this has me a little worried/concerned?

Any thoughts of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

From the info you've provided, the first / most obvious culprit would be the VCG, but definitely do as you're planning & get a closer / more thorough look at the VCG area. I imagine it'll be fairly obvious where the oil's coming from if you really get in there with a flashlight & perhaps a mirror. GL!!

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Yes, it's most likely your vcg. Most times, if you look at the passenger side rear of the motor, you'll see some burnt oil residue or pooling oil on the heat shield that covers the exhaust like you see in the pic below.

-Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

That picture is almost dead on.... not quite as much residue, but that is it ...

Thanks for the info guys!

EVO 4g Tapatalk

Vcg.......totally. And do plugs while you're in there. NGK BKR6EQUP.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yeah, as dw said, do the plugs. I guarantee some if not all are oil fouled.

Bah, I just replaced the plugs last spring.... Oh well, guess I might as well replace them while I'm in there....

Definitely worth doing the plugs. My #5 & #6 were seriously oil fouled.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

spark plugs: NGK or Bosch?

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Vcg.......totally. And do plugs while you're in there. NGK BKR6EQUP.
    My VCG has started leaking too. Right on time -- the M54 in my former E39 did the same at the exact same mileage (~65k).

Realoem lists a Bosch plug (FGR7DQP) in addition to the NGK quoted above. Pelican Parts sells both but the Bosch is a lot cheaper.

Anyone have any opinions or knowledge on whether the NGK is worth the extra bucks?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata..._pg1.htm#item0

I've always read that the NGK was a superior plug.

Don't recall the exact reasons why, though.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast