Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

What would replace your ZHP?

So, this week most of the north east got its first taste of winter. It was a bit of a surprise how early in the season we got hit. A lot of the tree on my property still have greenish leaves on them. It being a surprise, i didn't have my snows mounted and PSS aren't exactly the best choice for the 8 inches of snow we got in my area. I ended up borrowing my wife's CR-V to drive down to the train with and it got me back and forth like a tank. The problem was that I didn't at all like the idea of my wife being home with our baby and not having a way to around in case of an emergency, as she can't drive stick either. She didn't have a problem with it but did say that it would be nice if we had two cars that 1. wouldn't be impeded by snow, and 2. that she could drive.

I really do not want to give up the ZHP- bottom line is I'm having too much fun with it but I understand her concerns. I asked her how she'd feel about me getting a winter beater and she would prefer for us to just stick to 2 cars. I want to get the ZHP and honest try through one or two winters (last year doesn't really count as it spent most of the cold in my parents garage).

The only thing thats ever been on my radar that would satisfy my and my wife's requirements is the Audi S3- 4 door, AWD, twin clutch auto, around 300hp and about the same proportions as the e46.

So I wanted to put it out to the forum and ask, if you had to replace your ZHP tomorrow to meet the requirements of all that would be driving it, what would you go check out?

Don't replace it.

Get a proper set of winter tires and swap them out.

Would let you get more miles out of the Michelin tires and be safer during the winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Should have specified- the car came with blizzaks mounted on 17inch borbets. Got them on yesterday, just not on before the snow came.

The LSD is interesting. You always think first about their application on the track but I never thought of it making winter driving better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not until I can afford my Porsche Spyder... Especially after two people just complemented me on my 2003, ridiculous... I love it... Not sure if those people even knew what this car is capable of behind the wheel

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

A nice, low-miles 330xi—but I highly recommend having both.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    A nice, low-miles 330xi—but I highly recommend having both.
    Rarer than a low mileage ZHP, IMO.

Golf R if it’s within budget. VW have 6yr/72k miles warranty from 2018 onwards which is currently the best offering from a premium (kinda) brand I think.

I don’t think you should be concerned about driving the zhp in the snow with winter tires but if you definitely want AWD then I would pick the Golf R is I were you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Dumping my E46s and buying a Camry.

In my dream world, I would have a 996 GT2 for summer duties and a C4S as a winter beater. E46s for shuttling The Beast between sports and activities.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    An LSD and proper winter tires (eg Blizzaks) make this car a real snow monster.
    agreed - although the OP stated the car must be an auto as his wife needs to be able to drive both cars.... however, if keeping the ZHP is an option, adding an LSD does indeed make the car a LOT better in the snow.

i drove audis for over 10 years, in all sorts of nasty winter weather (VT and ON), and while i think the traction was great - every other aspect sucked. ABS kicked in when your shoe got within about 5mm of the brake pedal. and they are sooo front-heavy that they understeer like mad.

now, consider the 50/50 weight distribution of the ZHP (and most 3ers), and even though you've got limited traction going forward (significantly bettered by an LSD), the overall balance of the car makes these things the best winter cars i've ever had. they are super predictable and if you have any hint of understeer, just feed in some throttle and the rear puts the car back in line. it's intuitive. and... the braking is spectacular (likely helped by the superb balance).

my $0.03.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast