Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 124

Thread: Not A Project: Peterís 2009 335i M Sport

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,734
    Good stuff!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"


    ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i think the JB+ is good for 40-60hp and installs in about 2min. but................ no modding.
    After reading what you added to your first post, I can tell you that when you add more HP to this motor, you also add turbo lag and it will have a pretty hard hit when the turbos kick in.

    Things/history to check with this motor: HP fuel pump recall, Water pump, injectors, waste gate rattle and the usual oil leaks. also, You might want to consider walnut blasting the intake ports sometime in the future... regular maintenance on this motor and not too terribly expensive depending on where you go. Other than that, I think the motor is pretty solid regardless of what might be out there on the internet
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    - steering: E90 wins here, hands-down. wonderful linearity and a nice heavy (read: positive) feel.
    Interesting. I heard just the opposite from friends and others. (Especially for the ZHP.)

    Congrats on the purchase. I've always liked the 335, and would probably buy one if someone told me it was better all-round than a ZHP. The power is definitely an advantage, but I thought the ZHP was better in the corners.

    Mind if I ask what you paid?
    -Chris


  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Atlanta/Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    344
    Before I found the ZHP, I REALLY wanted one of these or even a 328i M Sport but prices were too high and I didn’t want to deal with turbo maintenance. I love the E90 generation of 3 series. Looking forward to the future updates!

    2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Interesting. I heard just the opposite from friends and others. (Especially for the ZHP.)

    Congrats on the purchase. I've always liked the 335, and would probably buy one if someone told me it was better all-round than a ZHP. The power is definitely an advantage, but I thought the ZHP was better in the corners.

    It's an M-sport. I think the steering is different on those. Our X1 M-sport (based on the e90 chassis) had great steering characteristics like Peter describes
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    After reading what you added to your first post, I can tell you that when you add more HP to this motor, you also add turbo lag and it will have a pretty hard hit when the turbos kick in.

    Things/history to check with this motor: HP fuel pump recall, Water pump, injectors, waste gate rattle and the usual oil leaks. also, You might want to consider walnut blasting the intake ports sometime in the future... regular maintenance on this motor and not too terribly expensive depending on where you go. Other than that, I think the motor is pretty solid regardless of what might be out there on the internet
    yeah, that's what i'm reading. this is one is so low-mileage, and 100% maintained and unmolested - exactly what i wanted.

    HPFP recall was done, water pump was done. plugs done recently. as for intake ports - i saw a nice DIY using CRC valve cleaner that i would do before walnut blasting - the guy spent $30, 3hrs of time and the results were amazing.

    i'm doing some reliability stuff soon: well-baffled (42draftdesigns) oil catch can (this alleviates the need for walnut blasting), metal charge pipe (stock plastic one leaks), upgraded PCV valve. high-flow inlets actually help reduce strain on the turbos, so i will probably do that down the road. ceratec treatment on the next oil change too.


    Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Interesting. I heard just the opposite from friends and others. (Especially for the ZHP.)

    Congrats on the purchase. I've always liked the 335, and would probably buy one if someone told me it was better all-round than a ZHP. The power is definitely an advantage, but I thought the ZHP was better in the corners.

    Mind if I ask what you paid?
    i hate divulging what i paid, but i got a really good deal - i think it was meant to be!

    i LOVE the ZHP - don't get me wrong. this move was more lateral, not upward - and it was not because i don't like the ZHP. i would love to have another someday - maybe a 'vert!

    i forgot to mention about the suspension in my first post - i will edit it later, but i found that the E90 M Sport suspension is exactly how i wanted the ZHP to feel stock - good damping (not GREAT damping, but a set of dialed-in koni yellows would help a lot), good spring rate, VERY rigid chassis, and very little body roll - way less than the ZHP. the rear end feels kinda squirmy under load, but i'm pushing a LOT more power through it than i ever felt in the ZHP. so subframe lockdown and strategic bushing upgrades would help a lot here. if feels very, very composed.


    Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    Before I found the ZHP, I REALLY wanted one of these or even a 328i M Sport but prices were too high and I didn’t want to deal with turbo maintenance. I love the E90 generation of 3 series. Looking forward to the future updates!
    yeah, i would have preferred a 328i M Sport, but they are nearly impossible to find in sedan form (coupes seem more plentiful).


    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    It's an M-sport. I think the steering is different on those. Our X1 M-sport (based on the e90 chassis) had great steering characteristics like Peter describes
    i agree - i think the M Sport steering is different. still learning. but it feels great.
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2015 VW Golf TSI Comfortline 5MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,025
    i cleaned up the first post and added some more details. frig.
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2015 VW Golf TSI Comfortline 5MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    6,163
    We used the Burger Tuning catch can kit on the 135 (same one as the 335) and were very happy with it. Comes with everything you need for an OEM looking installation.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    We used the Burger Tuning catch can kit on the 135 (same one as the 335) and were very happy with it. Comes with everything you need for an OEM looking installation.
    thanks for the feedback! i'm not super interested in the design as i have a SWEET 42draftdesigns can here that is larger and has superior baffling, adjustability, and a dipstick. installation may be a bit tricky due to size.

    http://www.42draftdesigns.com/ultimate-oil-catch-can/

    Name:  ul__71456.1473346870.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  230.3 KB
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2015 VW Golf TSI Comfortline 5MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kensington, Maryland
    Posts
    2,202
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    so...... i hate turbos. and here i am with a stupid twin-turbo engine'd car.
    Name:  tom-delonge-wtf1.gif
Views: 76
Size:  1.53 MB
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-07-2018, 09:13 AM
  2. 2009 335i XDrive Monaco Blue 6MT
    By dlucas589 in forum Other Automotive Classifieds (No ZHPs)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2017, 06:47 AM
  3. peter's new ZHP project: Project Estoril
    By slater in forum Projects
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 06:00 AM
  4. E92 335i M-Sport Project Thread
    By MiniD in forum Projects
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-13-2016, 05:53 PM
  5. F30 A/W 335i M-sport project
    By illirep in forum Projects
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •