Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The 4.8is has 4 air bags, the older 4.6 has just the rear like your car. Commonly, when the air bags start leaking, the compressor has to work a lot harder and fries it out. For some reason, the control module goes bad after that. At least that's what happens in the X5s. I'm sure it's the same technology. You can thank Range Rover for the air suspension system...
    If the bags look original, I'd replace them as PM. They're cheap enough and when the bags get worn, they start weeping so there won't be an obvious hole.
    A sign that the bags are leaking is when you come out in the morning and one side or the whole rear will be sagging. The system is designed to keep the car level even when its turned off but eventually the system will time out to save battery life. Arnott sells the compressors for half the price of OEM and there is a guy on eBay that sells a compressor rebuild kit if you ever have to go down that road...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Thanks for the info. Based on that, leakage is not a problem at the moment; the ride height stays the same whether the car is on or off, even after several days of sitting.

Since only 3 out of the 6 available tires on this car are actually usable, I got the spare set of Style 32's out of my mom's garage and will be mounting a brand new set of Blizzak WS-80's on 'em on Monday. I live on a hill, and my place of work also requires a hill climb to get up, so I figured getting a set of proper winters instead of something in the "all weather" category (not to be confused with all season) would be wise. This is especially true considering I have both a Steptronic and an open diff working against me.

I think I also got a friend convinced that winter tires are far more valuable than AWD... hopefully she goes down the 'tires' route instead of buying a new car!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

One step closer... *plays 'One Step Closer' by Linkin Park in the background*

The dangerous tire situation can now be called RECTIFIED. New meat has made its way onto The Vault's spare set of shoes in the form of (4) Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 tires in the 225/45R-17 size all around. It's nice to see these spare Style 32's go to good use. They've been sitting in my mom's garage for years... and I got 'em for free. Sometimes it pays to be a car parts hoarder.

There is one downside to these free wheels though; two are flat black and two are gloss black. Well, the fact that all of them are black is an issue in itself (I don't like black wheels) but for my winter beater set, these will do for now! Thankfully I like the style, so all I have to do is get them refinished, one day when I hit the lottery.

The flat side...

The glossy side...

No sooner that my car was done at the tire shop, I go to start it so I can depart the location and... click, click. Battery dead. It was dead last week since the car was sitting, but I thought it would at least last until next paycheck. No such luck! Got a jump, and off to Advance I went to raise the amount of credit card debt to my name.

From what I hear, AGM batteries are all the rage nowadays, so I decided to do what I did for the ZHP and get The Vault an AGM battery as well. I feel it would be worth the $20-30 premium for a battery that supposedly lasts longer and performs to its peak longer.

AutoCraft Premium H8-AGM

The old one, a flooded battery. I forgot to check the date on it; will have to do that tomorrow morning when I head towards the garage.

Installing this thing was quite a bit more work than I was expecting. The space the battery fits in to is quite tight considering all the crap you have to move out of the way. I had to move this black thing over - anyone have a clue what this is? I couldn't find this in any of the DIYs and videos I looked up for touring battery replacement. Thankfully it just unscrews from the bracket and swings out of the way.

After swinging the mystery box out of the way, removing the battery bracket, disassembling the positive cables, and removing the ground strap, I was finally able to heave the old one out. It was a pretty tight fit and required a ton of back effort to get it out. Sometimes it's impossible to lift without using your back. This is why I removed as much out of the way as I could, to make sure it wouldn't get caught up on stupid stuff.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

That box was the subwoofer in the X5 but it doesn't look like that.
    If it was me, I wouldn't be able to put it back without figuring out what it was lol
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    If it was me, I wouldn't be able to put it back without figuring out what it was lol

Having cold wind blow up your back tends to make you not care about these things in the moment. lol
    I really wanted to investigate but it was too damn cold!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    That box was the subwoofer in the X5 but it doesn't look like that.
    According to the blue sticker 65136910371 = Subwoofer box HiFi System
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Loving the vault

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    According to the blue sticker 65136910371 = Subwoofer box HiFi System
    I didn't even see that sticker. Was in too much of a rush to patch up because I was freezing. lol
    Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Loving the vault

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    And it loves you.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

BAM. Pants nearly pooped.

Not to worry; Safelite got my back. My insurance, not so much.
    DOT 1038 glass from Fuyao, a Chinese company that apparently produces some glass in an old GM plant in Ohio. That's where mine is from. Not only is it made in the U.S., but... it also has provisions for rain/light sensor. That's right; smells like a retrofit.

I've already got some parts ready to go in, including the rain/light sensor, an autodim mirror that came as a package deal with the rain sensor (score!) as well as E39 specific covers. I scored a nice Auto headlight switch from someone in NY parting an E39, so now all that's missing is the wiring for the sensor and a new LCM. The LCM isn't part of the retrofit, but I'll be doing "a thing" that the LCM IV will allow me to do that my LCM IIIb won't.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

That is a massive damage on the windshield! Damn!
    Looks like we are going to get a cool story of rain sensor retrofit on e39. Nice!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast