Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Looks like we are going to get a cool story of rain sensor retrofit on e39. Nice!

Yes - when Peter finally sends me the harness pigtail!

Finally got the autodim mirror installed. Thankfully it was as easy peasy as I thought it was - plug & play. I didn't bother installing the covers because those are a royal PITA to install and I still have to install the rain sensor and wiring for it. What's even more surprising is that the autodim mirror works perfectly, and doesn't yet need to be rebuilt. Score! I remember these being super expensive when I was looking for them for the ZHP a while back (well over $100) but now all of a sudden I'm finding autodim mirrors for $30-50. What the heck?

What bothers me about it at the moment is that I didn't even notice that I already have a garage door opener / Homelink (not sure which) installed in the upper panel next to the sunroof switches, so now I have two sets of garage door opener switches. This is gonna bother me... gotta let it go...............

Also got some much needed brake love. For some odd reason, the owner before the previous owner thought it was acceptable to run two sets of pads on a single set of rotors, both front and back. The lips on the rotors were MASSIVE! The rotors were also very grooved, which showed on the brake pads as well, so this car definitely was in need of some brakes. New rotor screws and new brake wear sensors topped off the brake service, for now. In the future, there will be some stainless lines in the mix as well as some fresh fluid, but that can wait.

I'm used to having left- and right-side specific rotors on the ZHP because of directional cooling vanes, but it turns out the E39 doesn't have directional cooling veins, so the rotors are the same part for left and right. Love the look of fresh new rotors. I wish I had time to paint the rotor hats black, but time wasn't a luxury I had so I just installed them and called it a day.

Also installed were both front sway bar end links to eliminate most of the clunking, and the right-rear sway bar end link. That rear one proved to be so much of a PITA that we ran out of time and couldn't do the left one, so hopefully can get that addressed this weekend. The headlight leveling sensor was also incorrectly mounted and the arm looked pretty rusty, so I replaced the leveling sensor arm and mounted it correctly.

Now if I can only just get some money to have my buddy do my oil pan gasket... it's an absolute mess down there.

The Vault desperately needs a new set of headlight bulbs. I can barely see anything at night!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    What bothers me about it at the moment is that I didn't even notice that I already have a garage door opener / Homelink (not sure which) installed in the upper panel next to the sunroof switches, so now I have two sets of garage door opener switches. This is gonna bother me... gotta let it go...
    Pick up cover 51448206529 - it's hellgrau & has cutouts for the sunroof switch & microphone, but not the Homelink. ~$20 new.

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  9.1 KB
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Pick up cover 51448206529 - it's hellgrau & has cutouts for the sunroof switch & microphone, but not the Homelink. ~$20 new.

Eventually I will. Unfortunately right now that piece takes a back seat. I've got to put that money towards an LCM4 (so I can use LED bulbs) and the rain sensor harness first so I can complete my rain sensor retrofit. Then I will work on repairing my MID, and finally get a Dension Gateway BT Lite to top it all off. All these are essentials for my daily driving routine. Then I can start working on stuff that I "want", versus need. Thanks for looking up that part number; I saved it so I don't have to look it up later on.

I have to see which garage door opening mechanism is more current, the mirror or the center panel switch. I know some of these older units aren't compatible with HomeLink, which is a feature I will need when I replace my garage door opener. Whichever one is better I will end up keeping. If the mirror is the outdated one, then I may swap it down the road for a mirror without the buttons, but for now it is a super cheap extra I got with the rain sensor I purchased, so it was worth installing anyway. Looking forward to getting the essentials squared away so I can work on the other stuff.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Loving the progress, just keep plugging away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Yes, it's fun watching BP give his car the BP treatment
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Yes, it's fun watching BP give his car the BP treatment
    I'm already going down a rabbit hole I shouldn't be going down... I was looking hard at the interior wondering how much work it would be to dye the door card outers black, and how much a black carpet and dash would run.

Gotta rein it in. This is supposed to just be a hauler/shitty weather car.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

This is supposed to just be a hauler/shitty weather car.
    You need to rename your thread to this
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I'm already going down a rabbit hole I shouldn't be going down... I was looking hard at the interior wondering how much work it would be to dye the door card outers black, and how much a black carpet and dash would run.

Gotta rein it in. This is supposed to just be a hauler/shitty weather car.
    Talk to stuart. He has his old wagon interior for sale I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Talk to stuart. He has his old wagon interior for sale I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    The one he has isn't a complete interior. Plus, I'd be looking to two-tone it; the partial interior he has is all black. I'm thinking something more along the lines of dying the door cards and dash to keep the costs down. Not sure yet; we'll keep this decision as a surprise.

I definitely want to keep the non-sport seats and keep 'em grey. The two-tone will make them look sick, I think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Hungarians FTW!

It turns out both of the items I ordered as part of my "Daily Driver Acceptability" program, in this case for on board entertainment, are made in Hungary!
    The Dension Gateway Pro BT unit is made by Dension, a Hungarian company. This one came from an eBay seller in Germany, since you can't get these in the US for some reason. I loved the Dension I put in my ZHP shortly after purchasing it, so this will fit the bill very nicely while retaining the stock head unit look. This unit will give me USB, Aux, and Bluetooth capability, all the while being able to control everything from the steering wheel and MID controls (unless using Aux, but I don't use Aux) and having song information text display on the MID.

Also made in Hungary and actually shipped by a seller whose name I recognize as Hungarian (sorry this is a treat for me), is my MID repair kit. It consists of a screwdriver, a silver ribbon cable, and extremely nice color-photo instructions on how to repair the MID. Mine's seen much better days with a couple of rows of dead pixels going horizontally. I also added all the bulbs necessary to repair the backlighting.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast