Thread: Cylinder #6 Misfire, only at ~6krpm

Cylinder #6 Misfire, only at ~6krpm

Starting this thread with things that I've already replaced:
    Spark Plugs
    Coil Packs
    Fuel Filter and hoses
    VANOS seals
    DISA O-ring

Seems to mostly happen in 3rd gear at around 6000 rpm. It's pretty repeatable and irritating as the DME cuts the cylinder out completely. I'm thinking it is a position sensor because of the exact place in the rpm range as well as the only cylinder that it happens to.

Edit: Also happens at part throttle at ~6k in third. I believe it is load independent. I'll have to be "that guy" and rev it in idle at see what happens.

Anyone have tips for an issue like this?

Freeze frame data from INPA:
    Last edited by DeathTrap; 11-28-2018 at 05:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer1
    You will notice quickly it is not a Honda. Welcome to BMW, for those who like working on cars just to keep it functioning.

Ryan (rkneeshaw) is having this same problem...he's a member here but here's his post on e46f
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1242691
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Ahhh. Good to see someone much smarter than me already on the case. Seems like we have the same thought process, which is good.

I posted in his thread, might shoot him a PM as well. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer1
    You will notice quickly it is not a Honda. Welcome to BMW, for those who like working on cars just to keep it functioning.

I dont know if I'd say "smarter", but we definitely seem to have the exact same issue, which makes me feel a little less crazy

I just shot you a PM. I haven't changed out my crankshaft sensor yet due to weather (car is hibernating in its cozy garage while it snows), but that is next on my list of things to try. Its also down to one of the only possible remaining things I can imagine could be causing this.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - StopTech

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Not 100% the same issue but when I accelerate hard, the car rocks/jerks (steering wheel has no vibration, new tires, alignment). This is all after I changed 6 coils/plugs. I had a SES light, which my indy shop says one of the cylinders said it was misfiring and if it happens again, he'll warranty it. Well, SES light came back. Do you guys think the jerking is due to misfiring? Only happens when I accelerate hard.