Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder #6 Misfire, only at ~6krpm

I had a rattling noise too. After a few days, it settled and went away. Believe the cause was the same.

Headers installed. The power is back and after a few pulls, no misfire. She's young again!

I'll run the car for a week, if the misfires do not return, we can consider this case solved.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. We will save her soul for future use, but the body will go to car heaven...or another owner...who may or may not turn her into a race car...

So exhaust leak?
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

I would say so. That and/or a combo of clogged cats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

Dead due to damaged valve. We will save her soul for future use, but the body will go to car heaven...or another owner...who may or may not turn her into a race car...

great news!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

She died on me today as I took her to redline in third. I was on the highway, airing it out, hit the rev limiter and got the same misfire code/symptoms as before. I'm thinking in my head that the problem isn't solved yet. I cycle the ignition on and off, but the problem doesn't go away. It has gotten worse. It feels like about 3 or 4 cylinders are completely out, very difficult to start due to the missing cylinders. I was able to limp it home and try to read codes, but I don't get anything but the cyl 6 misfire code.

I'm wondering if my timing jumped? Fuel is good, I *think* ignition is good. I need to do a compression test next...
    -Corey

I found the root of this issue in the form of a broken keeper on cylinder #6

-Corey

Wait...so only one of the exhaust valves was opening on 6?

It was probably opening fine...the closing part is questionable.

-Corey

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast