Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    More progress.

The "bones" are there as they say now, but lots of little detail work left to make it special. This is the first time I have done a color change where I didn't have the full donor car in front of me, but was going off of my parts stash. A couple of things to note:
    1. I checked M3 coupe front carpets for compatibility and they are the same as sedan/wagon. BUT the convertible is different, I had assumed the convertible would be the same as the coupe, but the seat rails are different so there is an extra cut-out in the carpet. It was to late for me to correct at this time, so I'll have to go back in there and swap the front carpets again.
    2. My ZHP has rear door airbags. Not a very common option and of course my donor did not. I removed the airbags and will code them out as a temporary solution. Long term I'd like to find or dye the correct rear door panels.
    3. My donor is a fixed back seat where as my ZHP is a folding. The seat backs are different so I am on the look out for a folding rear seat.

Otherwise the swap went as it should. Here are some pics in the meantime.

With the door panels off I resealed the RF vapor barrier. Replaced the RR window regulator and vapor barrier. And will have to order a LR vapor barrier as it is destroyed.

17x9 et42 Arc-8's getting cleaned up. I have (2) sets, 1 silver and 1 hyperblack. The hyperblack are really beat up so they will get refinished gloss black and eventually go on this car, the silver will be temporary.

Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Love watching this progress, thanks for the updates. Hey quick question, just to clarify you said that to check the CCV system you can remove the oil cap while the engine is idling, and if there is no suction then the system is probably fine? And if the system needs replacing then it will create a vacuum that makes it difficult to remove the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan View Post
    Love watching this progress, thanks for the updates. Hey quick question, just to clarify you said that to check the CCV system you can remove the oil cap while the engine is idling, and if there is no suction then the system is probably fine? And if the system needs replacing then it will create a vacuum that makes it difficult to remove the cap?
    Yes, I think you have the idea. Remove the cap with the engine idling. If the valve has failed inside the CCVV then this will cause the crankcase to be under a large vacuum. This vacuum will cause the cap to be sucked against the valve cover.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Welp, a little lacking on the photos but the track weekend was a success. Car did great as usual, both of my instructors were very impressed with the capabilities of the car!

Here is our group,
    Left to Right: E36 328i, S54 swapped touring, 3L/5MT swapped touring and of course my ZHP:

Left to Right: E36 328i, S54 swapped touring, 3L/5MT swapped touring and of course my ZHP.

Video of me riding shotgun in my instructors E92 M3 chasing an E36 M3.

https://youtu.be/y4H10XOWA10

Still chipping away at the details with this car. I have been so busy with work I've not had time to do much other than drive and enjoy her.

The ZKW headlights have always been an issue in this car, they intermittently wouldn't work and when they did they wouldn't illuminate very well. I assumed the control modules or ignitors were bad but I didn't feel like diagnosing since I knew they were going to get replaced with AL's. So when a good set of Bi-Xenon ALs came about the sway was on. Turns out the car was originally a halogen car and when the Xenons were installed the car was not coded properly. Getting the coding sorted probably would have fixed my intermittent illumination issue, but it wasn't going to fix these burned bowls. I'll still need to wire up the Bi-Xenon shutter, but at least I have operational headlights now.

It turned out great that I had these junk ZKW housings. One of my customers has an E46 M3 racecar and we need to loose some weight by ditching the xenon headlights in the car. I hollowed out the housings and spray painted some old M3 lenses black and installed the setup into his car. They can weigh more than a pound or two and much cheaper than carbon fiber delete panels. They are already filthy because they were in a race during the rain (we temporarily swapped the functional lights back in for an upcoming night race).

Also installed a new cowl trim, amazing how much a difference this little detail makes.

We had another track weekend with BMW CCA at MSR-Cresson last weekend. For this event I didn't touch anything to the car from the last outing but I did add a datalogger. Since this car is not a dedicated track car the mod had to be fully reversible. I started with a spare A/C vent and added a little bracket and mounted the unit. From there I ran the wiring over to the instrument cluster and taped into the CAN bus. Everything is plug and play and can be uninstalled with no harm to the vehicle. Once I get some time, I'll pull the A/C vent out and reinstall my original vent for daily operation.

Our group at the track

Side note: This has been a fun little project that is really starting to come together. '01 E46 touring with 3L/5MT swap, front and rear 330 suspension swaps, brakes, GC Coilovers, 17x9 with 255/40/17 tires, MTech2 front bumper and a whole bunch of TLC.

2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Great progress! Glad you saved this ZHP. And super cool touring as well.

Got some more work done on the IR ZHP.

One thing I need to do is figure out my front seats. They were originally power and heated, here are my current options. I'm not really sure what makes the most sense, but I am leaning towards option #2.
    1. Power M3 seats, but the foam is broken down and they are not as comfortable as they should be, also not heated.
    2. Power Sport seats out of my other ZHP, very nice condition for their age, also not heated.
    3. Manual Sport seats WITH heat. The drivers side is nice, but the passenger side is very hard.

The sunroof did not work since the day I got it. I pulled the glass and inspected it and expected to see the sunshade drives waded up, but everything looked good. I blew out the dirt and lubed the slides and reinstalled the glass. I couldn't get it adjusted properly and pulled the glass back out. It looks like somehow the L and R drives got out of time, I pulled the motor out and re-timed the drives. Reinstalled the glass and got it all adjusted, now everything work like it should.

This looks familiar... next to fix my carpet snafu, removed the front carpet and replaced with the correct sedan carpet.

The carpets were dirty so I started with simply blowing them out with compressed air vacuuming amazing what difference that makes.

I then followed that up with shampoo and steam cleaning, then thoroughly dried them and reinstalled them into the car. They are not perfect, but turned out really good (forgot to take a pic).

Next, I located a fold down rear seat assembly from a ZHP and went to tackle that part. I've never been much of a detailer as when I worked at the dealership there was always a detailer looking to make some side money. But now on my own I am getting more of an appreciation to that part of the process. So I started with the rear seat bottom. I wanted to know if I was doing anything so I masked off one side and set about cleaning it up. Clearly I did something, lol.

I haven't taken any "after" pics of the following as the car is still a bit disassembled and I'm just going to wait until the final result to take a good overall, but this is where I am in the process.

One thing I forgot about was the package tray, so I pulled the one out of my parts car. Severely faded as they all are. I gave it a shot with SEM Interior paint in Landau Black. It turned out fairly well, but I couldn't keep the texture. I applied two light coats and then brushed it and repeated this process until it was black and it just feels like it has been "flocked." It is certainly fine as you almost never touch that are of the car, but I'll look for a more OE solution in the future.

The small items like the seat belt anchors and seat belt guides were not worth using off of my parts car so again shot them in SEM Landau Black. The paint match is as spot on as it can be. I also painted the door panel screw covers and I have some OE black covers, sitting next to eachother you cannot tell which is OE and which is painted. The "HK" speaker grills had the famous faded silver and I just decided to shot them jet black and it turned out really well.

Lastly, I swapped out the Eonon replica headunit from my black ZHP and installed it into this car. I then picked up an aftermarket lower panel for the IHKA relocation. This panel deletes the ashtray and adds a flat surface, I liked this idea and think it works well. I then oversized the hole for the cig lighter, modified a USB outlet and mounted it in the housing. I would prefer one with out the voltage display but haven't found a suitable candidate yet.

That's basically where we are at now. I've got some trim panels coming and then I'll finish the install and call the black conversion done.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Wow! Hope you did some sound dampening while you were in there.
    No, actually no additional dampening, just not really in the scope of this project.

Still moving on, Black interior swap is nearly done. My lower B-Pillar trim and rear door entrance covers were less than desirable so I got a net set of those and installed them.

New LR door vapor barrier installed with fresh OE butyl cord

Almost complete package tray with all of it's black items, note all the plastic items have been painted and they turned out great, I think someone would be hard pressed to determine they are not the OE finish.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast