Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    thanks! sadly....but not sadly to the new owner... the Touring is/was for sale. the new owner (a forum member here) is taking ownership on saturday. i am going to miss the crap out of it.

i would say i'll owner another - and maybe i will - but i think (hope) my next car purchase is from stuttgart.

did you get a chance to scan the codes yet?

that was awesome.

here's hoping the wiring adjustment fixes your misfires!

and as for the o-ring... sitting will do that to rubber bits. sitting is awful for cars.
    Stuttgart? Hoping you’re thinking Porsche...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MsRN View Post
    Stuttgart? Hoping you’re thinking Porsche...
    yep...infatuated since my dad had an '84 911 back in the late 80s. the smells, the sounds... but i think if and when i do move in that direction, i want a 997 C2S.

i like their design and engineering philosophies.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Slater—

I used to read my Dad’s C&D magazines back in the 80’s; I wanted a Porsche 959 so badly I could almost taste it. But a boosted ZHP can outperform a Macan any day; ask me some time how I know!

I ran the codes from the car. As expected, I had a few codes indicating rich mixture, as well as misfires on cylinders 1,2,3 and 6. What I’m less certain about were the O2 sensor codes (banks 1 & 2,) which indicated that sensor signal had been shunted to the heater. I’m hoping I didn’t fry the O2 sensors!

The leak at the T-stat is still present, if slower. Once I’ve completed my CPR re-certification this evening, I’ll perhaps drain the system and re-seal the racing t-stat to the block. Re-wiring the starter will probably wait until tomorrow, along with the sacrificial oil drain and dipstick O-ring replacement.

Sockethead—

I’ll PM you my FB handle for kpro. I’m on e46f, too; I’ll look for the boosted subgroup. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update for la famiglia: la ZHPess is back on the road; the engine is now silky-smooth. That improvement is largely because I remembered one ‘minor’ detail; notably, I’d unbolted the S/C from the block in preparation to remove it so I could access the starter from above. Once I eliminated the pressure leak THAT caused, everything else fell into place. The Zionsville mechanical thermostat seems to be working as hoped; the cabin takes a minute or two longer to warm up on wintry Wisconsin days, but that’s a small price to pay for increased thermostat reliability!

Update for la famiglia: la ZHPess is back on the road; the engine is now silky-smooth. That improvement is largely because I remembered one ‘minor’ detail; notably, I’d unbolted the S/C from the block in preparation to remove it so I could access the starter from above. Once I eliminated the pressure leak THAT caused, everything else fell into place. The Zionsville mechanical thermostat seems to be working as hoped; the cabin takes a minute or two longer to warm up on wintry Wisconsin days, but that’s a small price to pay for increased thermostat reliability!

Great news!!!

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Good to hear!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Nice to see you getting the car back in shape... and modding it too!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Nice to see you getting the car back in shape... and modding it too!
    Really I’m just trying to maximize its performance and longevity. I’m banking on the engine going a fairly long time, in which case the more durable components (water pump, radiator, thermostat, pulleys) are actually cost-effective. The Mishimoto radiator and Zionsville Racing thermostat let the engine run a bit cooler; that may negatively impact mileage but should extend engine longevity. My general impression is that the car runs stronger and more smoothly for the mods. The rear end breaks loose more easily than I remember, suggesting either that my rubber needs replacement (spent 2 years hardening in the garage) or that my setup overpowers the rear diff or both. If I’m doing an LSD, then it’s time to address the rear subframe BEFORE it fails. Then there’s the airbag recall, rust mitigation, window tint, dent removal, heated seat upgrade, Avin Avant, new speakers and interior rehab, moonroof cassette replacement or delete, short shifter, suspension refurb and HID bulb replacement. And that’s a short list.

I suppose the obvious point is that I’m very fond of the E46 ZHP platform...

Hey modding is modding no matter what your excuse is lol
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Really I’m just trying to maximize its performance and longevity. I’m banking on the engine going a fairly long time, in which case the more durable components (water pump, radiator, thermostat, pulleys) are actually cost-effective. The Mishimoto radiator and Zionsville Racing thermostat let the engine run a bit cooler; that may negatively impact mileage but should extend engine longevity. My general impression is that the car runs stronger and more smoothly for the mods. The rear end breaks loose more easily than I remember, suggesting either that my rubber needs replacement (spent 2 years hardening in the garage) or that my setup overpowers the rear diff or both. If I’m doing an LSD, then it’s time to address the rear subframe BEFORE it fails. Then there’s the airbag recall, rust mitigation, window tint, dent removal, heated seat upgrade, Avin Avant, new speakers and interior rehab, moonroof cassette replacement or delete, short shifter, suspension refurb and HID bulb replacement. And that’s a short list.

I suppose the obvious point is that I’m very fond of the E46 ZHP platform...

Guilty as charged, then!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast