Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

will Body Shop make color match and straightened dented area

My car was sideswipe today. The truck bumped into my driver's side immediately after I lost sight of him.

Will a good body shop be able to make the repaint panels (mostly the driver's side) color match? My color is Sparkling Graphite Metallic Paint Code A22 .

The driver's side(a three feet long trail of damage) has a dent that is 3 inch deep at deepest area. When I open the drive's door to look at the side pillar on the body's frame, it's dented in slightly. It looks like that damaged panel wraps around the whole back of the car. Is that serious, or the body shop can section off just that small damaged area?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’d be asking for a brand new door if I was you, sorry to see that happen

As far as painting goes, a good body shop will blend the newly painted areas into the old/original paint so that it transitions well and “blends in”
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Sorry to hear that. Yup, you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

My door window does now roll up smoothly and it makes a squeeky noise. With this type of damage, is there a difference between the work done over 4 days versus 7\10 days, by 2 different body shop? Is the paint drying a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    I’d be asking for a brand new door if I was you, sorry to see that happen

As far as painting goes, a good body shop will blend the newly painted areas into the old/original paint so that it transitions well and “blends in”

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad240 View Post
    My door window does now roll up smoothly and it makes a squeeky noise. With this type of damage, is there a difference between the work done over 4 days versus 7\10 days, by 2 different body shop? Is the paint drying a factor?
    You weren't able to track down the driver that hit you? Was the rear wheel/tire/bumper damaged?

The window might be binding on the dented portion of the door, or perhaps the regulator was damaged by the impact. I'd make sure everything in the door is working properly as well as the repairing of the exterior of the door. Obtaining an undamaged original replacement door (ideally of the same color) could save time (=$$) for the body shop & result in a better repair. What's going on with the trim at the back/bottom of the rear side window (at Hofmeister kink) - was it knocked loose by the impact?

I wouldn't want the shop to rush the job, and they need to get the interior door panel off to see what's going on inside the door. Since it's holiday time, the work might take longer with workers off. Re: paint drying - good shops have heated booths to assist in paint curing. I hope you've looked around for a top quality shop. Where are you located?
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

John:

The other driver did stop and he gave his info for the police report. The door skin needs replacing. The back trim rubbed against the other car's corner. My friend thinks the scrapped rear wheel is slightly misaligned and the rear bumper got detached slightly from the clip. I'm going to have my mechanic lift and look into the car's bottom later this week, as I'm not a mechanic and can't know all areas to investigate the damage. It seems to drive as normal. I have a few bodyshop (all over the county) to go get estimates from along with BMW dealer's recommended bodyshop and would choose the one that has the paint drying room. Doing this is a pain.

I'm in Phoenix , AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    You weren't able to track down the driver that hit you? Was the rear wheel/tire/bumper damaged?

The window might be binding on the dented portion of the door, or perhaps the regulator was damaged by the impact. I'd make sure everything in the door is working properly as well as the repairing of the exterior of the door. Obtaining an undamaged original replacement door (ideally of the same color) could save time (=$$) for the body shop & result in a better repair. What's going on with the trim at the back/bottom of the rear side window (at Hofmeister kink) - was it knocked loose by the impact?

I wouldn't want the shop to rush the job, and they need to get the interior door panel off to see what's going on inside the door. Since it's holiday time, the work might take longer with workers off. Re: paint drying - good shops have heated booths to assist in paint curing. I hope you've looked around for a top quality shop. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad240 View Post
    I have a few bodyshop (all over the county) to go get estimates from along with BMW dealer's recommended bodyshop and would choose the one that has the paint drying room. Doing this is a pain.
    I'm in Phoenix, AZ.
    Yes, it's a pain/hassle, but I'd imagine you want the car to come out in the same condition it was prior to being hit. I've asked a friend in PHX for shop recommendations, but haven't heard back from him. Don't rush it, especially if there is currently undisclosed damage to left rear axle/suspension components.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Yes it's possible with a good shop. But you'll still see the difference between new and old paint still with metallic colors if you look for it.

Best thing they can do is paint that whole side of the car including the front fender...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Ugh.... So much tears

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast