Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loud rattling noise when I start the engine

First, would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!!!

Now for the emergency, I am not sure what happened but felt something break on the engine a month ago, started rattling hard knocking sound in the engine. No idea what it is. Every time I start it now, it sounds horrible and loud rattling sound. At first I thought it was the header but there’s no smoke coming out of the engine bay. Someone suggested that it might be the pistons? Anybody have any ideas? If it is the pistons, what am I looking at as far as repair? Thanks guys!!

Dtownwolfpack.

Can we get a clip of what it sounds like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Upload a quick video and see if you can narrow down the location of the sound.

If it only happens on start up, I'd be willing to say timing chain related parts.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Loud Rattling

Here is a short video with sound

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0pN0...gwAvL9zSOd9Ipw

Not sure if this will work

Thanks

Here are Dtownwolfpack's videos in streamable form (so you don't have to download):

Video 1

Video 2

Almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Is it louder on the exhaust side? Perhaps something with the SAP is shot
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Is it louder on the exhaust side? Perhaps something with the SAP is shot
    It kind of does sound like it’s further back in the engine. If you rev the engine the rattling sound just gets faster. And there’s quite a bit of loss in power when you put it in gear. But the car will idle with no problem, just a lot of knocking, rattling sound as you can hear in the 2nd clip.

Does it go away after it warms up or is it always there
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

This may be a dumb question but are all 6 cylinders firing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that it would throw a code for that...
    I just listened to it again and I swear it sounds like a massive exhaust leak.. Can you make another video clip giving it a little throttle and letting off?
    When it first appeared, what exactly happened and what were you doing? (accelerating, decelerating cruising...)
    H&R sport springs,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast