Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifter Feel

Shifter Feel

The best shifting car that I've driven, with my limited experience, has been an AP2 Honda S2000.

The shift feeling is perfect, imo. It feels really mechanical, like well lubricated metal sliding together then locking into place.
    Is there anyway to make the stock shifter less "rubbery" feeling? A refresh? Stiffer shifter bushings?
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    The best shifting car that I've driven, with my limited experience, has been an AP2 Honda S2000.

The shift feeling is perfect, imo. It feels really mechanical, like well lubricated metal sliding together then locking into place.
    Is there anyway to make the stock shifter less "rubbery" feeling? A refresh? Stiffer shifter bushings?
    A refresh kit is a good option to know exactly what it feels like from the factory. You could throw on an SSK afterwards for a more notchy feel if that's what you're after.

I had 130k miles on my shifter bushings before I replaced everything with a Rogue Engineering SSK and it was a world of difference.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

It all depends on your budget.

A factory assembly has rubber and plastic that wears out so a refresh kit is the way to go if you want to retain the factory feel.

If you have more money to spend then an aftermarket ssk is the next option.

Btw I got a BMW performance ssk for sale. Easy to install from inside the vehicle.

To fully refresh or replace the shifter assembly you will need to remove the exhaust and driveshaft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Sounds like a good time to replace the guibo and CSB then.

I'm not sure how a stock shifter in good condition feels. I'm 90% sure that this car has the original shifter bushings on it, which have almost 190k on them...

I've seen several people either go AS or Rogue with minimal complaints.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Sounds like a good time to replace the guibo and CSB then.

I'm not sure how a stock shifter in good condition feels. I'm 90% sure that this car has the original shifter bushings on it, which have almost 190k on them...

I've seen several people either go AS or Rogue with minimal complaints.
    I liked my Rogue SSK. I've also heard really good things about the BMW performance one Vas has for sale and would probably jump on that for the deal if I still had a ZHP and was in your situation.
    ~Rob~

I have the BMW Performance shifter kit in mine. I have been very satisfied with it. I liked the stock shifter, but I needed to refresh the bushings and I got a great deal on a Performance shifter kit, so I installed it. It's different enough from stock to make it feel like a worthy upgrade, but it's not crazy short like a UUC kit.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I have the BMW Performance shifter kit in mine. I have been very satisfied with it. I liked the stock shifter, but I needed to refresh the bushings and I got a great deal on a Performance shifter kit, so I installed it. It's different enough from stock to make it feel like a worthy upgrade, but it's not crazy short like a UUC kit.
    This sums up what I've heard OP. My Rogue kit was similar but a PITA to install. BMW SSK you dont need to drop the driveshaft, the Rogue kit you did.
    ~Rob~

If you want this feeling, go with the UUC short shifter and DSSR. I have this in my car for the last 8 years and it's still my favorite mod. It behaves just as you describe the Honda. The stalk is adjustable so you can raise or lower up to and inch or so IIRC

UUC really got it right with the e46. We also put one in the 135 and we just put one in the M2 but neither is as good as the one in the ZHP
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I had mine replaced with one from Auto Solutions and really like the feel. I’m sure any SSK would be an improvement, especially with the other bits being replaced.
    http://autosolutions.net/

I have the UUC SSK with the DSSR. It's a very good option, but is quite expensive, and their customer service department fought me tooth and nail that I was wrong when they sent me an incorrectly manufactured part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast