Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Halogen to xenon

Hey guys this might be a really stupid question, and I’ve been trying to find an answer online but I can’t. My car came with halogen lights and I want to get xenons. If I buy a set of oem xenons are they just plug and play, or do I have to do some other stuff.

Pretty sure they are supposed to have xenons... I bought some d2s osrams to replace the old ones my car had when I bought it. Phillips works too.
    Are you talking about the projectors?
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Its not exactly plug and play. There is some coding involved, and I do not think halogen cars came with connectors in the factory harness for things like autoleveling and the Bi-Xenon shutters. Plus, the car would have to get coded.
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Pretty sure they are supposed to have xenons... I bought some d2s osrams to replace the old ones my car had when I bought it. Phillips works too.
    Are you talking about the projectors?
    Xenons were still an option on all E46's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Its not exactly plug and play. There is some coding involved, and I do not think halogen cars came with connectors in the factory harness for things like autoleveling and the Bi-Xenon shutters. Plus, the car would have to get coded. Xenons were still an option on all E46's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yea I figured it wouldn’t be just a straight swap. Do you know how hard doing the wiring is if I’m swapping the whole headlight?

Xenons were still an option on all E46's.
    Even on the ZHPs? strange
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Even on the ZHPs? strange
    Yup. It's pretty rare that ZHP doesn't have Xenons, but it's still a thing.

I think everything E90 onward gave the 3 series with the best motor (E90 330/335, F30 335/340) the premium lighting as standard.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    Yea I figured it wouldn’t be just a straight swap. Do you know how hard doing the wiring is if I’m swapping the whole headlight?
    If you retrofit single beam Xenon (not BiXenon) the high beams will work with the center halogen lights just as they do now and will plug directly in and the only thing that will not work is the auto leveling. Auto leveling can also be retrofitted but it takes quite a bit of wiring from the front to the rear through the LCM itself and then ultimately to the level connectors on the headlight housings. If you get BiXenons, you will need to wire the high beam shutters from the LCM as well.

Depending on your LCM, you may need a different LCM that has the leveling circuitry so you will be on a LCM part number search to see if your LCM will work with all the work you put into the level sensors and wiring.

If you are OK with a manual level adjustment at the headlight adjustment screws and a set of standard single beam Xenons, you can have the Xenon headlights plug directly in and code the car for Xenon with BMW Scanner 1.4 or INPA in a matter of minutes. (Without coding they will turn on and operate but will randomly flash and shut off)

It's probably more worth just retrofitting Xenon projectors to the halogen set and doing the wiring so they act as a retrofitted Bi-Xenon setup.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    If you retrofit single beam Xenon (not BiXenon) the high beams will work with the center halogen lights just as they do now and will plug directly in and the only thing that will not work is the auto leveling. Auto leveling can also be retrofitted but it takes quite a bit of wiring from the front to the rear through the LCM itself and then ultimately to the level connectors on the headlight housings. If you get BiXenons, you will need to wire the high beam shutters from the LCM as well.

Depending on your LCM, you may need a different LCM that has the leveling circuitry so you will be on a LCM part number search to see if your LCM will work with all the work you put into the level sensors and wiring.

If you are OK with a manual level adjustment at the headlight adjustment screws and a set of standard single beam Xenons, you can have the Xenon headlights plug directly in and code the car for Xenon with BMW Scanner 1.4 or INPA in a matter of minutes. (Without coding they will turn on and operate but will randomly flash and shut off)
    I read online that all post face lift sedans came with bixenons. Because if that’s the case I can’t get oem ones then that would work. Or is what I read incorrect?

It's probably more worth just retrofitting Xenon projectors to the halogen set and doing the wiring so they act as a retrofitted Bi-Xenon setup.

Yea I’m thinking that might be my best bet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast