Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Mea culpa, I guess I was misinformed.
    Yeah it would be a nice easy solution for the OP if it was indeed the case.

Honestly the retrofit is nice because it gives the option to use much better projectors than the stock ones. I'm currently "fixing" a pair of headlights on a car that had halogens originally and had Bi-Xenons retrofitted to those housings. It turns out that it's not that complicated of a setup. It's mostly plug and play when using the harnesses that come with the retrofit kit. I think the kit includes something for the CANBUS system so it shouldn't show headlights being out or behaving in any funky way. I think the hardest part would be to physically mount the projectors in the existing bowls, since it requires physical modification.

OP,
    If you have another car to drive but don't feel like doing any physical modifications to your headlights yourself, you can always remove the headlights and ship them to a place such as Lightwerkz to do the retrofit for you. This is what I did with my car (though I brought them there myself since they're only an hour or so away) and it worked out well.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Yeah it would be a nice easy solution for the OP if it was indeed the case.

Honestly the retrofit is nice because it gives the option to use much better projectors than the stock ones. I'm currently "fixing" a pair of headlights on a car that had halogens originally and had Bi-Xenons retrofitted to those housings. It turns out that it's not that complicated of a setup. It's mostly plug and play when using the harnesses that come with the retrofit kit. I think the kit includes something for the CANBUS system so it shouldn't show headlights being out or behaving in any funky way. I think the hardest part would be to physically mount the projectors in the existing bowls, since it requires physical modification.

OP,
    If you have another car to drive but don't feel like doing any physical modifications to your headlights yourself, you can always remove the headlights and ship them to a place such as Lightwerkz to do the retrofit for you. This is what I did with my car (though I brought them there myself since they're only an hour or so away) and it worked out well.
    Yea I don’t have another car to drive and I need mine every day. That’s my biggest problem. I’m probably just gonna buy the parts, and wait until I have a free weekend and try to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    Yea I’m thinking that might be my best bet
    I did this and made a DIY on here (or at least on bimmerforums) it's simple and can even be done with D2S projectors. When I did it all they had was H1. You then have to code the car for xenon (not bixenon), wire tap the projectors shutters to the current high beams and you're done.

Then you have xenons, and 4 high beams. I love it, it's like daylight in front of my car.

just find pre face lift SINGLE xenon lights doesnt matter coupe sedan m3 etc etc... remove the front lens cover and swap in your face lift lens cover. thats the only difference fitment wise. the actual black headlight housing is the same between all e46 they only changed the lens covers which accommodates the change in hood shape and corner light attachment point.

even if you get bixenon headlights and your car lacks the connector in the body harness for the bixenon switch control, you can still code the LCM to act as single xenon where high beam activates the inner DRL high beam lights for highbeams when you push or pull on the stalk.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    Yea I don’t have another car to drive and I need mine every day. That’s my biggest problem. I’m probably just gonna buy the parts, and wait until I have a free weekend and try to do it myself.
    I’ve got a set of zkws listed for sale if you need them. Bowls are burnt but it might be a good base for a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    just find pre face lift SINGLE xenon lights doesnt matter coupe sedan m3 etc etc... remove the front lens cover and swap in your face lift lens cover. thats the only difference fitment wise. the actual black headlight housing is the same between all e46 they only changed the lens covers which accommodates the change in hood shape and corner light attachment point.

even if you get bixenon headlights and your car lacks the connector in the body harness for the bixenon switch control, you can still code the LCM to act as single xenon where high beam activates the inner DRL high beam lights for highbeams when you push or pull on the stalk.
    The mounting part for the corner lights will be different too. He would need to basically swap out the guts into his housing. The single xenons will have mounts for push in corners.

I'd just do the mini-h1 retro because it's easier. Otherwise you can go OE bixenons, flash the lcm, and then do the wiring for the bixenon function to work which isn't that much. it's just some long wires, a relay, and some connects that go into the back of your headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    The mounting part for the corner lights will be different too. He would need to basically swap out the guts into his housing. The single xenons will have mounts for push in corners.

I'd just do the mini-h1 retro because it's easier. Otherwise you can go OE bixenons, flash the lcm, and then do the wiring for the bixenon function to work which isn't that much. it's just some long wires, a relay, and some connects that go into the back of your headlights.
    very true, totally spaced on that tidbit.. they never made facelight corner lights in snap in form lol.

yea i would totally go the route of bixenon headlights and just coding them to xenon instead of bixenon.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

I have done this twice (sort off) now. Here is what I did.

Vehicle 1: Pre-facelift 2001 330i with single xenons
    This was car was in an accident, and I opted to fix it myself and at the same time I did a complete facelift on the front.
    I bought AL bi-xenon headlight assembly from ebay. This was the whole headlight assembly from a car getting stripped.

Since this car had xenons, there is no manual leveling dial, and also I do have auto leveling sensors and wiring.
    - coded as single xenons

This meant everything just worked as it had previously with single xenons.

I haven't done the wiring for bi-xenons, so for now it just uses the regular brights (inner lights) when turning on the brights. The shutter wiring and coding for bi-xenons I will do at a later time when I have more time on my hands.

Vehicle 2: Facelift 2002 330i with halogens
    Bought AL bi-xenon headlights from ebay. This was the whole headlight assembly from a car getting stripped.

Since my car didn't have wiring for bi-xenon, and also didn't have the automatic leveling sensors, and the LCM module have a button for manual leveling, the coding was as follows:
    - coded as halogens (so that manual leveling wheel keeps on working)
    - Using PA Soft, matched the testing values from another vehicle that has single xenons in. The testing values (hex values) now allows the car to still test that the lights works, and also when starting the engine, the lights dont flicker (randomly flash). Without this coding, the lights would work if the engine is off, but as soon as you start it the lights would go bananas.

I haven't done the wiring for bi-xenons, so for now it just uses the regular brights (inner lights) when turning on the brights. The shutter wiring and coding for bi-xenons I will do at a later time when I have more time on my hands.

What some people do if you don't want to add wiring from the headlights all the way to the LCM for the bi-xenons, is they just connect a wire from the shutter to the bright's light wire, and then both the inner light and shutter go on when using the brights. I am not a fan of this option, but at least know about it as an option.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123