Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

ZHPESS Suspension Refresh

On Wednesday morning I dropped off the ZHP to my favorite alignment guru, along with a set of brand-new Vorshlag camber plates. The problem: intermittent (road condition-dependent) steering wheel shimmy at 80 mph whether on summer or winter wheels. As it happens, the PO used the stock BMW strut plate on one side only, so the Vorshlags couldn’t be installed. Further ‘good news’ ensued: neither front strut (KW V2) has gas pressure, so I’m essentially running on springs-which may very well explain the shake at higher speeds. I am happily blessed with a first-world problem: what replacement suspension to choose. So far, I’ve come up with a short list that runs the gamut from moderately expensive to quite expensive, as listed below:

KW V3–about $1900
    KW Clubsport—about $2800
    Bilstein B16–About $1700, but backordered until at least the end of February
    CMS Stage 1: About $3000 properly spec’d
    JRZ RS-2: About $3100
    Ohlins: About $2600

I liked the KW V2s I have, but wonder what their true longevity is (they came on the ZHP when I purchased it 7 years and 67,000 miles ago). Since I’ll only rarely flog the car (I.e. track or HPDEs), the Bilsteins or V3s would work; both would have lifetime warranty for me as the original purchaser, and would likely hold up to any track-type abuse to which I might subject them. Sticking with KWs would allow me to have the V2s rebuilt for use as a backup set when the V3s go, and would allow me to use the Vorshlag plates as purchased. The Clubsports appeal to me as being perhaps more durable, but they come with no warranty and may be stiffer than I’d like for a DD. CMS and JRZ are really nice, very pretty, and made in the US, but require frequent re-builds, from what I understand—plus, they’re the most expensive of my options. The Ohlins I list because they make solid products; I’m of divided opinion as to their utility in this application. Add to this that I’m planning to install rear subframe reinforcements per the M3 group buy from Australia—that will cost me about $1200 + at least the same for install—and want to put an LSD on the car before another year passes, AND will need new summer tires, too.

Thoughts, my ZHP famiglia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not just rebuild the V2 s and go with that?
    The V2 is a great coilover for the street: very compliant at low speeds and they do what you want them to do at speed.
    We had them on the 135 and they are still on there with the new owner. Going on 11 years, I believe. Had the rears rebuilt a few years back. Turnaround was pretty quick.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

ZHPESS Suspension Refresh

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Why not just rebuild the V2 s and go with that?
    The V2 is a great coilover for the street: very compliant at low speeds and they do what you want them to do at speed.
    We had them on the 135 and they are still on there with the new owner. Going on 11 years, I believe. Had the rears rebuilt a few years back. Turnaround was pretty quick.
    How fast was turnaround? I’m very car-dependent for my job; hence the question.

Also, given that the p.o. gave me none of the adjustment tools, and that there are reportedly different upper spring mounts on each side, I’m tempted to just get a new set while the old set’s being rebuilt and I’m figuring out what parts I need in order to complete the old set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MsRN; 01-18-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Hmmm, tough call. I wld lean rebuild K2s but I get wanting new w/all the benefits. I would think you could improvise on the adjusting tools, as I did on my Ground Control. GL on the decision. I should say I am not familiar with the last two, and of course Biltsteins have a great rep and many Mafia run those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by MsRN View Post
    How fast was turnaround? I’m very car-dependent for my job; hence the question.

Also, given that the p.o. gave me none of the adjustment tools, and that there are reportedly different upper spring mounts on each side, I’m tempted to just get a new set while the old set’s being rebuilt and I’m figuring out what parts I need in order to complete the old set.
    I don't remember off the top of my head but it was winter and they aren't as busy... Give them a call... that's what I did. I'm sure they would have the right adjustment tools for you as well...
    https://www.kwsuspensions.com/contact/contactus
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

PM'd you.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport