Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6850 car is auto. I've scoured the net and looked at every car. There is one near me in Daytona area, Orient blue, but wants 13.5k with 131k miles. Like whoa. There are manuals around for 5-6k, just not near me. So I'll just have to chill and wait until something comes up around me.

On CL there are some M3s for less than that ZHP. Here's one: yes, SMG, but only 30k more miles but 4.5k less... https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto...808973390.html

For some odd reason these cars hold their value unbelievably well. Probably because they are so damn good. You'd have to find a really beat one (like mines lol) to get a good price, somewhere under 7k...but then you'll be putting another 3-4k into it and be back at square one.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    For some odd reason these cars hold their value unbelievably well. Probably because they are so damn good. You'd have to find a really beat one (like mines lol) to get a good price, somewhere under 7k...but then you'll be putting another 3-4k into it and be back at square one.
    They should command more than a standard 330, which I understand. But go on Autotrader and there's a firm out of St. Louis that has some ZHPs listed for OVER 22k and some in the mid to high teens with higher mileage. Are you kidding?

The extra 3-4k in maintenance...Isn't that like every BMW?

We have a bunch of people join the E38 forum over at BFc after having picked up a 740 with 150k miles for $1000. They end up spending 10k in parts in the next year just to get it running right and fixing all the old brittle stuff that breaks to get it back to business. Then the chain guides let go. It's a phenomenal car when running great and in good shape, but man you will still have a large annual maintenance bill because of the age.

I have no problem wrenching, but a car with 130k, 150k, 180k is still a car with that mileage even if it has been maintained. And age kills these BMW parts just as much as mileage. Anyone with a BMW plastic cooling system or timing chain guides can attest to that...

I'll just take my time and see if I can find a reasonable one. It's also difficult, because it seems if you ask too many questions about maintenance or condition of a car with 150k+ miles, you just get a short answer "whatever's in the listing" or stop hearing back. Rarely, it seems, do people have actual documentation of repairs. I have 2 binders of paperwork for my E38 over the last 240k miles.

I saw those listings. I threw up in my mouth a bit.

I would never recommend an older BMW to my "normal" friends for that reason. Cost of entry is cheap... that's the easy part. Can you handle the long run is the question? Most can't, and they go on to post how their car was a POS. Which it probably was...

When/if I buy another German car, it's definitely coming from an enthusiast.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    They should command more than a standard 330, which I understand. But go on Autotrader and there's a firm out of St. Louis that has some ZHPs listed for OVER 22k and some in the mid to high teens with higher mileage. Are you kidding?

The extra 3-4k in maintenance...Isn't that like every BMW?

We have a bunch of people join the E38 forum over at BFc after having picked up a 740 with 150k miles for $1000. They end up spending 10k in parts in the next year just to get it running right and fixing all the old brittle stuff that breaks to get it back to business. Then the chain guides let go. It's a phenomenal car when running great and in good shape, but man you will still have a large annual maintenance bill because of the age.

I have no problem wrenching, but a car with 130k, 150k, 180k is still a car with that mileage even if it has been maintained. And age kills these BMW parts just as much as mileage. Anyone with a BMW plastic cooling system or timing chain guides can attest to that...

I'll just take my time and see if I can find a reasonable one. It's also difficult, because it seems if you ask too many questions about maintenance or condition of a car with 150k+ miles, you just get a short answer "whatever's in the listing" or stop hearing back. Rarely, it seems, do people have actual documentation of repairs. I have 2 binders of paperwork for my E38 over the last 240k miles.
    I’ve had luck with the dealerships. Someone trades in their ZHP and the dealer has no clue what it is and sells it based on KBB.

I should be getting this car on Friday, it was picked up from Austin, TX today. Has 82k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan High Flow Intake | BMW Perf. Glossy Black Grills | Body Color Reflectors | Debadged | DICE iPod Integration| Front Plate Delete

Nice!!! Now that's what I'm talking about. How are you searching the dealers? Standard online searches like Autotrader?

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Nice!!! Now that's what I'm talking about. How are you searching the dealers? Standard online searches like Autotrader?
    I mainly use Cars.com and Autotrader. Use the advanced search function to search the year and model and expand the search radius to any distance.

Zero in on the listing by dealerships that don’t have any pictures, and which are probably newly listed. Email the dealership asking for them to send you pictures of the interior and exterior. You should be able to conclude if it’s a ZHP or not.

Ideally you want to find franchise dealerships (e.g. Chevrolet, Jeep of xyz city). These dealerships will send crappy trade ins to the auction and only sell the nicer stuff.

If you find what you want, place a deposit with the dealer so that they don’t sell it under you. Get a PPI done and finalize the sale if everything checks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan High Flow Intake | BMW Perf. Glossy Black Grills | Body Color Reflectors | Debadged | DICE iPod Integration| Front Plate Delete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12