Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Ouch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Fellow Mafiosi: I am becoming frustrated. I pulled into my mom’s driveway after working overnight, and the low oil light came on as I stopped. My engine bay is—as I feared—covered in oil AGAIN. I was unable to complete catch can installation before weather turned colder, but hoped the above-zero temperatures would prove gentler to the PCV system. I’m wondering if I need to replace this brand-new gasket, or can keep it and just eliminate the PCV obstruction, put in the catch can, clean up the oil and drive on. Thoughts?

On the same topic, I’ve also concluded that my efforts to decrease engine temperatures (higher-capacity Mishimoto radiator, Zionsville mechanical racing thermostat) appear to have increased the cars susceptibility to PCV valve freeze-up. In support of my conclusion, I note that this is the first winter in thirteen years of driving E46 cars that I’ve experienced this problem. All three of my BMWs (including this one) have regularly experienced weather this cold and colder without problem. Besides the cars age, the only other salient variables appear to be the new radiator and thermostat. Feel free to disagree with my hypothesis; I’m interested to hear any ideas you might have.

Oh—and someone put two new dents in my car. Color me cranky this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, sorry to hear re oil and dents... sux! Sorry no advice to offer re catch can.

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

A few hours’ sleep—once I could calm my brain—helped clarify my situation. I’ve put roughly $4000 into this vehicle so far to resurrect it, with the goal of keeping it running 5-10 years at least. I’ve a new gasket on hold at my dealership; I’ll pick it up (using Mom’s car), haul the needed tools and tarp to Mom’s garage, replace the gasket, top off the oil, clean out the PCV valve (if I can figure out how to remove it), finish the catch can install, and order a gel heating pad and thermoswitch from Amazon. Then I’ll drive it home and change the oil and clean up the current oily mess, get new belts, and install the new hood insulation. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll reinstall the stock thermostat (which I have), which will run the engine hotter. Should the problem persist, I’ll re-evaluate, and perhaps acquire a winter-competent new car this summer/fall. Then I’ll either keep this car for three-season use, or part it out—but I’d prefer not to do the latter. Or maybe—just maybe—I’ll get a CWP-equipped 325iT and transplant the ZHP motor/parts and S/C into it.

Either that, or I’ll buy a Subaru...

Update time! Based on the oil spray pattern and clean spark plug wells, it seemed more likely to me that the leak had occurred not at the gasket, but at the juncture between the valve cover and the ventilation hose. I disconnected the hose from the valve cover and from the supercharger, then poured denatured alcohol in one end of the hose. No alcohol exited the other side. At that point I decided to install my new catch can, then cut the blocked hose down to size and cleaned out the ice inside it. As I was running short on time and lacked two necessary hose clamps, I stopped for the night. Today I finished running the hoses for the catch can, replaced the coil packs, vanity cover and cabin filter, added a quart of oil and crossed my fingers. The engine ran well; I could detect no leaks at the new hose couplings; no oil sprayed out anywhere. My hour drive home was uneventful and no oil leakage occurred. What’s more, the engine seems to have better acceleration in sixth (though that could just be relative to my mom’s Kia, which I’d recently driven) than before.

Next up: changing out the oil, cleaning up the remaining leaked oil, and perhaps shortening the catch can hoses (I made them a bit long). Also, adding a catch can heater and thermoswitch.

Glad to hear you got the problems fixed - great job on not giving up. Did you start noticing the cooling issues after the Mishimoto radiator? One of the more experienced guys on m3forum had poor experiences with their cooling capacity...basically it was worse. (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...o+radiator+hot)

Good to see another RN with a zhp. Which specialty/patient population?

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Glad to hear you got the problems fixed - great job on not giving up. Did you start noticing the cooling issues after the Mishimoto radiator? One of the more experienced guys on m3forum had poor experiences with their cooling capacity...basically it was worse. (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...o+radiator+hot)

Good to see another RN with a zhp. Which specialty/patient population?
    I actually think the Mishimoto radiator and Zionsville Racing thermostat run the engine cooler; then again, it’s not yet summer.

I’m a critical-care nurse; I mostly work in ICUs, though I also have three years of ED experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great to hear you likely found the culprit! It is funny how fast our cars feel after driving other 'regular' cars.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Great to hear you likely found the culprit! It is funny how fast our cars feel after driving other 'regular' cars.

John, the car seems even faster with the upgrades. Since changing out the radiator and thermostat, and upgrading the plugs, I’ve had no more misfires. It may be my imagination, but it seems to pull stronger, even in 6th.

The catch can has been working quite well; my sole concern is that I’ve already had to empty it, as it collected 6-8 ounces of ‘gunk’ in less than 1000 miles. I’m unsure if that level of fluid collection is normal for FI engines or not; on NA engines I seem to recall large amounts of catch can waste being a point of concern.

That does seem like a lot quickly. But, good to hear things are working out with it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456