Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    I’m skeptical of the “maintenance-free” claims.
    No vehicle is maintenance-free, of course.
    I remember reading a couple of articles about high mileage Tesla Model S' being used in taxi service. In both articles, they mentioned multiple drive motor replacements. I'm sure those suckers aren't cheap.

I am impressed with the fact that I usually see mentions of battery degradation being extremely minimal. Even after over 400k miles on some of these examples, the loss is only about 12% of its capacity.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

With no parts come with no responsibility. No fluid swaps because no fluids, no belts/idlers/tensions because no belt drive, no spark plugs/coils/fuel filter/fuel pump/fuel injectors/etc, no clutch swaps because no transmission, much decreased brake wear because most braking is regeneration, etc. I wouldn’t say “maintenance free”, because it still needs brake fluid, wiper fluid, wipers, and tires... not to mention bushings, but it’s certainly dramatically reduced.

No to mention the frequent gas maintenance

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 2003 530i 5mt, 04 M3 wagon (with ZHP interior and exterior trimmings)
    Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car, 6mt NA RWD e91

We bought a brand new 2006 Toyota 4Runner with 34 mikes on it. Traded it in on a 2015 Toyota 4Runner. It had 155k on it and believe it or not the only maintenance we did other than oil changes was the following.

Front Brakes twice
    Rear Brakes once
    Spark Plugs twice
    Battery twice
    Air Filter twice then used a K&N
    Needed all new shocks when we traded it in.

Absolutely loved that ride. So dam reliable, 24 mpg and rode great. The only thing it wasn’t a four wheel drive. The 2015 is four wheel drive but it gets 17-18 mpg.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Am I doing it wrong? I thought DDs were supposed to be reliable and maintenance-free. Maybe I should buy a 335i? Or 760Li? Or 850csi... definitely this one

The battery pack has extra capacity "built in" so that the end user doesn't see the degradation. They under rate the capacity a bit for this.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    Am I doing it wrong? I thought DDs were supposed to be reliable and maintenance-free. Maybe I should buy a 335i? Or 760Li? Or 850csi... definitely this one

If any of us truly wanted a reliable daily, we'd have a Honda or Toyota. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

The battery pack has extra capacity "built in" so that the end user doesn't see the degradation. They under rate the capacity a bit for this.
    I don't think a good daily needs to be maintenance-free... and an E46 is a pretty reliable car when you stay up to date on your maintenance.

My previous daily was a 2000 540it with 219k miles— I put 45k miles on it in two years without ever being stranded by it. The key is to take care of small problems before they turn into big problems. For example, when you hear belt squeal in the morning, replace the belt + pulleys + tensioner to avoid being stranded on the road when a pulley seizes and throws the belt. I've had quite a few customer cars come into the shop on a flatbed because of exactly that.

Some of us like to daily drive a car that we enjoy, as opposed to dealing with something that's trouble-free and reliable. Commuting is boring, why not spice it up by driving a car you love? I redline my 330i/5 at least once a day during commuting— it gets my blood going and reminds me to have fun in life. I start falling asleep if I commute in a boring car with an automatic.
    2003 Slicktop ZHP 330i - Maintenance Thread

I just need it to be reliable "enough".

I also want to enjoy my commute every day, as it makes my life better if I do. I arrive home refreshed and happy, instead of annoyed.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 2003 530i 5mt, 04 M3 wagon (with ZHP interior and exterior trimmings)
    Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car, 6mt NA RWD e91

Quote Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
    I just need it to be reliable "enough".

I also want to enjoy my commute every day, as it makes my life better if I do. I arrive home refreshed and happy, instead of annoyed.

This, and it's why I purchased my E39 Touring instead of a Subaru Outback Sport I could have bought from my neighbor and fixed for a lot less. Soul-less.
    The E39 has character; it's big, slow, and refined, but it sure does love getting sideways.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It looks like the general thought process is that you all are willing to sacrifice a bit of reliability for enjoyment of the car.

Side note: E46s aren't that unreliable. It won't go 100k without needing at least something done, but it also won't just fall completely apart either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

One of today’s headlines: “Consumer Report drops Tesla Model 3 recommendation due to reliability issues”... just sayin’.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast