Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

What else should I do during a VCG job?

The title pretty much says it all, I'll be doing a VCG replacement soon. I've never done this job before but I've seen some very helpful tutorials on YouTube for it. I'll probably replace spark plugs while I'm in there, is there anything else that I should do during this job? The previous owner did a Vanos seal and anti-rattle kit about 25,000 miles ago.
    I also should probably mention that the reason I am doing this is that I have oil residue on the front and passenger side of the engine block. I plan to do this as well as a cooling refresh that I've been saving, clean my engine bay of the oil residue, get it all buttoned back up and hope that the oil leak is solved. Thanks for the help!

Since the Vanos is done, the only other thing would be to make sure that your ccv is operating properly. A lot if times it's a clogged ccv that creates positive pressure in the crankcase and leads to valve cover leaks.

Ok thank you. Is there a simple way to check the CCV for clogs?

Make sure you get new bolt grommets, as well.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan View Post
    Ok thank you. Is there a simple way to check the CCV for clogs?
    Pull off the pipe that's connected to the valve cover and blow in it. You should hear bubbling in the oil pan. If not, then it's clogged. If you break the pipe when you pull it off, then it's time to replace that anyway. I taped mine up and braced it with a sort of rubber cast of sorts + zip ties and it held up fine until I got around to replacing the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Pull off the pipe that's connected to the valve cover and blow in it.
    Sounds sketchy but I'll give it a shot!

Autozone.com
    Vanos
    CCV
    Check the rest of your vacuum lines while you re in there as well! Basically check anything that could lead to a vacuum leak while you got her torn apart. I really wish I replaced all my lines at once, instead of having them all fail over time. Check the stupid little rubber caps on the back of the intake manifold too.