Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Keep pushing!! This is good stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

^ thanks fellas, thanks for coming along for the project.

A little more progress to report.

Replaced the fuel hoses and clamps going into and coming out of the fuel filter. I don't think anything was wrong with the originals, but I didn't like the fact that outside is becoming gummy.

Purchased the Continental OEM fuel hose, it even had "BMW" printed on it. haha.

New one on the left.

I got some new hose clamps too. I didn't like how the original pieces weren't hex heads (it's like two flat sides with a sloped face so that it can only be removed with a flat-head screw driver but not tightened unless you use vise grips or the like).

The old BMW Exide battery wouldn't charge - I wasn't surprised - so off to Costco for an Interstate. I was deciding between the Costco Interstate or the Walmart Johnson Controls battery (I have one of these in the m3 and no complaints), but I went with the Costco unit for a couple bucks less.

Topping off the charge:

Brake fluid flush is next. The old fluid look gross, the color of maple syrup... glad it's out. The new stuff, ATE SL6 is clear, a very light straw yellow.

Old stuff coming out:

New stuff coming out (different corner, but old stuff was same color as above):

A bottle of the old. This quantity was the remaining fluid after disconnecting the brake lines (fronts were removed for engine/subframe replacement, and rears were disconnected for pads/rotors).

Just a gratuitous photo of empty bottles of D4ATF and other bottles/cans ready for recycling.

As she sits, with some wheel well covers cleaned and 303'd.

Almost there... almost....

...almost there... just a minor update.

Since I installed the m56 valve cover to replace the PCV bundle of snakes I had to plug up some unused vacuum ports.

First up, the port near the back of the engine on the air distribution rail:

Next up, make the connection between the valve cover and the front port on the distribution rail. I first tried simply using the m56 hose (not my photo, taken from bimmerworld):

but the plastic hose was too brittle and broke when making the bends.

So, I had to Macgyver something that I think will work. I took the ends of the two hoses to keep the connectors, one from the m56 hose for the valve cover side, and the one from the PCV hose on the air distribution rail side:

Cut the hose off:

I couldn't use both connectors since it wouldn't "click" onto the air-rail side, hence my using the hose end from the old system. Convoluted, I know.

This photo better shows my setup. I don't like how many potential failure points (ports to plug, etc) there are, but it should do.

Installed. There's a kink in the hose, I think I'll find a 90 degree elbow fitting to eliminate it. Trade offs... keep the kink, or introduce two more potential failure points for air leaks with another splice to install an elbow.

As she sits... just about ready to fire up. I'll try it tomorrow after I install the battery, turn the key to position 2 and check for fuel leaks. Fingers crossed... I'll either be really happy or really disappointed.

Moment of truth, I decided to fire it up today. Turned key to position II, checked for fuel leaks and none found from the fuel filter nor the injectors so that's good. I was concerned about crossing up the o2 sensor connections since I forgot to label them during disassembly, but I just placed the connectors in their holders based off of cable length and routing (from old photos) and then hooked them together. I think it worked and I got lucky... in the future, more labeling.

Then, crank. Wouldn't fire. Let it rest for a minute.
    Then, crank... cranks but won't fire. Let it rest for another minute.

Then, crank and it fires up... runs sounds like a diesel truck, a little lumpy and lots of ticking. It's aaaalive! albeit a little sickly, but it's running. Shut it off after 30 seconds.

Check for fuel leaks, random smells, found nothing serious (just remnants of cleaner smoking off, which cleared up in a minute).

Here's a video of first breath... my mom's excitement was captured in the recording "wwwhhooooo..." complimented by a couple claps.. hahaha very funny, very cute. (sorry, I know youtube would be easier, but I don't have a youtube account and am too lazy to set one up):

I think you'll need to click on the video after clicking on the link to hear the sound.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/wzHP4MRTrJiBoTG57

The EML light was on. I ran the codes and cam position sensor code was on as well as the ICV code was on. I found the CPS connector wasn't fully pushed on, and the ICV connect wasn't even connected. Doh! Cleaned the connectors and securely connected them. Cleared codes and fired it up again. No codes! Injectors are really loud, but smoother, and no codes.

Some observations, the injectors are LOUD... I was concerned for a little bit, but I let it run for about 5 minutes, let it get up to temp, bled the cooling system, shift through the gears (P-R-N-D, 1,2,3, D-N-R-P). Shut off the car and go look for leaks. No leaks, so far so good.

After a few minutes I fired it up again, this time the injectors sound much much quieter, still loud, but much improved. You can hear them quiet down as I rev it up to 1500-2k rpm, so that's promising:

(click on video after clicking on link to hear the sound)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/beZAEfjausivSTY58

Shut it down. High-fived myself, and did a walk-around looking for leaks. I damaged a leaking FR brake hose - probably when I removed the front subframe/suspension and forgot to first undo the hose (I'm an idiot). Well, I'll just get a set of SS lines for it. My bank account hates me.

I checked the lights, all turn signals/corner markers, headlamps/high-beams, brake lights, parking lights work. So that's good. Turned on the AC and that blows cold, so that's a success. I think I'll need to run this tank of fuel down and get some new gasoline, I bought this car Thanksgiving 2017 and lord knows how long this fuel's been in there... probably since middle of year 2017. I should have put some Stabil in the tank at the time, but I didn't. Lesson learned.

Things to do:
    - Wait for the SS brake lines to arrive later this week, install them, bleed the brakes.
    - Check the cooling system for proper bleed.
    - Check/top off the AT fluid. I want to do this while the car is still on the jack stands. Will jack up the rear a little more so the trans is level.
    - Put the wheels back on.
    - Shake down drives around my street.

Then go to AAA to get a temp registration permit (hopefully I can get a multiday temp permit) so I can drive around and get the sensors to be "ready" as well as run this tank of fuel down and get some new fuel in it prior to smog test.

Overall, I'm really happy reaching this milestone. I'm glad the car's running, it's a huge relief. I was concerned all this $$$ and effort would result in a dud.

I think I'll celebrate with a beer.

Congrats! That's awesome! Definitely should be a happier engine once you can get some fresh gas in there. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    05 Jet Black with NB 6MT ZHP: Current
    05 Alpine White with Beige Auto ZHP: Sold
    04 Alpine White with Grey Auto 325xi: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by tomnobes View Post
    Congrats! That's awesome! Definitely should be a happier engine once you can get some fresh gas in there. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Yeah, I think so too. I'm very happy right now, but more than happy I think I'm relieved. Biggest DIY project I've done so far. I think I'll need a break from projects for a little bit and focus of finishing grad school before another project.

I think the loud ticking noise is noisy lifters rather than injectors. The noise diminished substantially after the previous runs.

I'll try the BMW TIS procedure (no load rpms at 3k for 5 minutes, and back to idle, repeat 3 times if necessary) to see if it goes away. Fingers crossed.

Makes sense. The lifters are crazy loud on these engines.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Makes sense. The lifters are crazy loud on these engines.

Congrats!
    Thanks! Yup, the noise is definitely lifters... man, it sounded like a diesel farm tractor! Idle's nice and smooth now. So eager to get it on the road.

Another minor update.

After warming up the engine and transmission I raised the rear end of the car with the jack so that the trans was level (used a cheap Harbor Freight bubble level).

Added an additional quart of the clean red stuff:

I thought I had damaged the FR brake hose so I ordered steel braided hoses. Well, I found out the leak was a slightly loose connection between the hardline and the brake hose. Doh. But since the SS hoses came in I rationalized to myself that I should just install them and bleed the brakes again. It was an easy rationalization, haha! But a side benefit was that I bled the fluid again, and a good amount came out that was still amber colored (not as dark as the previous photo but still amber, sorry, no photo before I put it in the can).

I also added a homelink:

A pleasant surprise was I found the car already had a microphone installed. I'm wondering if it had the BMW handsfree option.

After spending some time to wipe down my tools and put them away I spent some time to wipe down the interior vinyl and plastic with some 303.
    While doing so, I discovered something I found pretty funny. Courtesy of the PO. lol.

This was the easiest - and cheapest - to fix on the car:

As she sits, on new Michelin PS4S, will need a thorough cleaning and polishing:

Looks just like when the tow truck dropped it off, but now it runs under its own power. I took it around the parking lot on my street (Not registered, not insured yet so no real roads until Monday at the earliest) and the first thing I noticed was I'm going to need some sway bars. Even at 10-20 MPH I noticed how much more it rolls. A/C blows cold, heater hot. Eager to get it smogged, registered, insured, and on the road.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast