Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Loss of power, misfires 2000-3000 RPM, codes P2240 and P2237

This car is brand new to me, so I'm just going off what doesn't feel normal to me.

When accelerating, especially in higher gears under load, at 50% or greater throttle, there are noticable misfires in the 2-3k rpm range. You can feel it as the car is basically hesitating at each misfire. I don't want to describe it as a jerk, but you can definitely feel it. If I back off the throttle, I don't feel the skipping.

Sometimes it will throw an SES light. I pulled codes and the only ones that come up are P2240 (current) and P2237 (pending).

The torque app on my phone describes them as:
    P2240 O2 sensor positive current control circuit/open bank 2 sensor 1
    P2237 O2 sensor positive current control circuit/open bank 1 sensor 1

I couldn't find definitive answers online when I googled. People were saying they had their DMEs reprogrammed because they were "too sensitive". That doesn't seem like a correct fix.

And so often these O2 sensors end up being something else like coils, a vacuum leak, etc.
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

I had a bad coil pack with the same issues you Are describing with my first ZHP
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Is there any way to diagnose the coil packs before just buying new ones? I don't have a smoke machine, but I'll spray some carb cleaner around to check for leaks after a visual inspection.
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Reading around, everyone seems to say to get the DME reprogrammed because the original tolerances are too tight for things after wear and age. I'm thinking this is more of a bandaid, and that there is probably age/wear with some parts that are causing that. Thoughts? I can do new coils and MAF (if there are no vacuum leaks) since the O2s were done with new Bosch ones a few years and 20k miles ago. BUT I don't want to spend money if that's not gonna make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Reading around, everyone seems to say to get the DME reprogrammed because the original tolerances are too tight for things after wear and age.
    I'm not sure why anyone would say that because it doesn't even make sense. Wear is a physical property; software programming won't do anything to change that. Plus, wear isn't going to cause the problems you're having.

I can do new coils and MAF (if there are no vacuum leaks) since the O2s were done with new Bosch ones a few years and 20k miles ago. BUT I don't want to spend money if that's not gonna make a difference.
    As I mentioned in the other thread, try unplugging the MAF to see if your driveability issue goes away (stumbling above 50% throttle). If it does, you will probably need a new MAF. It's one of the few items that affects both banks, like your codes are saying (bank 1+2 O2-related codes). The MAF helps adjust air/fuel mixture as well as the pre-cat O2 sensors, so they're related.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Yes forgot to do that. Will give it a try.

Few other things to note:
    I notice the idle sometimes hunts up and down maybe 50 to 100 rpm. Very subtle.
    Very occasionally the engine will falter at idle almost like it wants to stall.
    It has stalled on me twice. I thought maybe it was me, but now I'm not thinking so.

I started poking around under the hood yesterday. Sprayed some carb cleaner on some of the hoses with no obvious changes. There sounds like a loud hiss under the middle plastic cover next to the intake runners. I'm not sure if that's normal or what (I hear hissing in my 7 when the acoustic cover is off...it's just air in the intake). BUT when I pull the dipstick out a bit, the idle goes up. Put it back, and it goes right back down. Does that mean my CCV is bad?

Before starting with the big ones, check the basics: spark plugs? Air filter? Fuel Filter? MAF? O2 Sensor?

Then the bigger ones:
    Coils packs
    DME needs reprogramming

The DME issue is quite common, and I had a jutter in that RPM range until I updated the software.

I am currently working through a very similar problem with my ZHP and have come to the conclusion that it is either the DME or I need a new O2 sensor. I only have the p2240 code, so I know it is bank specific.

If you go to E46Fanatics, you can find a user there by the name of Balidawg. If you send him a PM he will send you instructions on how he can update you DME remotely for free!!

All you need it the Dkan INPA cable (pretty sure that is what it is called), a computer, and an App called Teamster. I bought the cable for $15 on Ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. He is very well vouched for and does several E46s a week, with a bunch of ZHPs as of late. Since the flash is free and you only need one cable, I'd recommend this as your starting point.

Next, I would get an OBDII to bluetooth adapter and download OBDFusion, together this will cost you around $30 - $50 dollars depending on which one you get. With these tools you can run a datalog and pinpoint your exact issue.

These items are what I consider basic and required diagnostic tools. I always recommend buying the tools / tech rather than going to the dealership for "diagnostics". First, everything I described will cost less than there fee by far. Second, next time a code pops up, you can diagnose it yourself, and not pay the dealership again.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions! I've done a shit load of research and am returning to this forum after some time of absence and will be active once again!
    Below is a screenshot from my datalog I took yesterday. This is showing O2 voltage readouts. Both should be around .7V on a normally operating E46. As you can see, one of them is reading below .1v, which indicates a problem.

I'm starting with the DME flash first because it is only costing me 15 bucks for the cable. If this does not rid my p2240 code, I know by process of elimination that I need a new bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor.

Best of luck mate!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Also, forgot to say that the 2,800k stumble is a very very common problem. The best answer to fixing this, or making it less noticeable is a DME flash! So kill two birds with one stone

Sorry on my phone and having some issues, I blame lack of coffee. But the hiss sound is normal. Threw me off at first but I just smoked tested the car and I no longer have vacuum leaks or my lean codes for either bank.

On YouTube, you can find many good videos of ppl smoke testing an E46 and again I recommend buying the tools needed to do it yourself. All you need is a siphon pump ( I bought a pennzoil one at home depot for $10) and a $1 cigar from any gas station. I dont recommend spraying carb cleaner at the engine and waiting for rpm fluctuations. Use the siphon pump method.

I did this last week and identified 3 vacuum leaks in under 5 minutes. Intake boot tear(even though boot was less than 2 years old, never buy non genuine parts :/), vacuum caps on back of manifold crumbling from age, and my air oil separator in my CCV system was missing a vacuum cap.

Again, if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me with a PM but a quick Google search should get you the info you need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast