Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What platform do you recommend running Teamster on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    What platform do you recommend running Teamster on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1081716

That is the e46fanatics link to the instructions from BaliDawg, real nice dude in SoCal. The remote program is called TeamViewer, was wrong before. I believe it is Windows based and you can download it and do a free trial for the update.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/tea...atic-download/

Balidawg knows all the exacts and he is real responsive. I haven't completed the process yet as I am still waiting on my cable to arrive.

NOTE - You need the cable with the switch in it!!! Still is only $15 on Ebay. There are others for around $50, but I don't think you need to buy the expensive one

GotZHP, thanks for the great info!

I haven't been on in a bit...so busy with work.

TeamViewer is a VNC program that allows remote control of the computer. I have DIS, INPA, and all the BMW software, so I should be able to update the DME myself. BUT, I was trying not to do this. That may sound crazy, but here's my thinking: the DME software was programmed with "tighter tolerances" and really was fine for most people until about the 100k mark. That to me sounds like something else changed, and instead of BMW spending time and/or parts trying to figure out what really was the cause, they fixed it with a "bandaid", which was simply reprogramming the software to either adjust the timing/fuel/whatever to cover up for it. So really, I would like to explore a bit and find out if I can isolate a part or something that could be causing it.

That being said, I actually bought one of those compact smoke machines on ebay. More than the $20 of using a cigar and pump, but I'll use it on all my cars and it'll pay for itself. I haven't gotten around to using it yet, though. I do think I will find some vacuum leaks.

I have the Torque app for android which works with a bluetooth reader. I hooked it up and both O2 sensors measure around 0.7 if I recall. I will have to add the logging screen, as that will let me take it up to those RPMs and see what's happening. For the most part, I get the P2240 code. It'll come on some days and after a few key cycles the SES will go off. Once I got the P2237 code for the other bank, but that was it. I'm almost 100% sure it's not my O2 sensors. They were replaced at 80k with Bosch and the car runs too good and gets too good of mileage to be an actual O2 issue. And that would be too easy .

Because it is mostly a bank 2 code, I'm wondering if it is a vacuum leak affecting one bank of cylinders more than another. I also haven't unplugged the MAF to test as the other member suggested. Sleep, work, eat, repeat.

I have to say I love this car so far, except for this problem. Some days it's so down on power it is infuriating. Others, it runs pretty good. But it is maddening having that stumble right in that sweet spot of the RPM band, which is right where I use on the highway when passing.

One other thing to note, related or not, is that there is a hesitation when getting back into the throttle from coasting. It is very noticeable the more you stab the throttle and happens at any RPM. Go from 0% throttle to 20%, there is a half second dip hesitation and then fine. It doesn't seem to matter what RPM the car is running at. I also notice it sometimes taking off from a stop or shifting. May or may not be related.
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    GotZHP, thanks for the great info!

I haven't been on in a bit...so busy with work.

TeamViewer is a VNC program that allows remote control of the computer. I have DIS, INPA, and all the BMW software, so I should be able to update the DME myself. BUT, I was trying not to do this.

DONT!

This is an extremely complicated process and if you do it wrong, you can brick your DME. With my BRZ I did all my own engine tuning, but with the ZHP, I am staying far away from the DME for now. Only once I get a spare to run on a bench setup will I play around with it. Balidawg will do it for free, so I recommend leaving to him since has done a hundred or so easily.

Another source for the vacuum leak could be the intake manifold gaskets. This was an issue on my car. I did the CCV at the same time as I did the gaskets since CCV was easier with the manifold off anyways.

As for the coil packs, I know there are some testing procedures but I am not familiar with them and have never done them before. Along with 50sKid, I really like RnWs (ratchets and wrenches) youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcmWa2Bt12U

Looks like you can measure resistance, and if you get different results, you should be able to pinpoint the ones that are going bad. I'm sure there are other videos out there as well. YouTube and the forums will quickly become your best friend now that you own a ZHP.

I replaced all my coil packs at around 110,000 miles and put in new plugs as well. They were the originals, I was rebuilding and doing maintenance anyways, and figured they were bound to fail sooner rather than later.

Ok I won't update it myself. You have thoroughly scared me enough

I'm hoping I will have some time to smoke test it this weekend. I will post back
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Ok I won't update it myself. You have thoroughly scared me enough

I'm hoping I will have some time to smoke test it this weekend. I will post back
    Great, keep us updated! post here or send a PM if you need any help. I'll be on my laptop a air amount this weekend.

Ok so a month later and I finally have some updates. I had INPA hooked up to the car for some other stuff and took a look at the DME. The fuel adaptations are way off. Bank 1 and Bank 2 are 99.xx out of a 100. So that has to mean the car is putting in extra fuel for some reason?

I smoke tested the car yesterday. I didn't see a lick of a leak. Zero smoke. I'm pretty sure I did it right -- I mean this isn't a complicated procedure.

So that leaves me back to square one with this consistent misfiring around 3k RPM and now these fuel adaptations that are off. Also, I noticed the idle tends to hunt a little up and down. Some days more than others. Is there an idle control valve on these cars?

I will drive home at lunch with the MAF unplugged. I don't have high hopes for that, because last time I tried that with my E38 it would barely run.

I can test the coils I guess.

Other than that, I do not know what else would be causing these issues. Why would the fuel adaptations be so off without a vacuum leak? What would cause the misfiring that sometimes throws the O2 sensor codes?

Can there be a secondary air system leak letting excess O2 into the exhaust manifold and tricking the O2 sensors?

Just drove home on lunch with MAF unplugged. Car seems to run the same. Maybe a hair better? The idle seems a little more stable, and the misfiring is still there at 3k, but maybe not as bad, but hard to tell.

Here's what I did notice: when my foot is on the brake and the clutch is fully depressed, the car will hunt for idle. With MAF unplugged, it hunts bad from 500 up to 1000 rpm. With MAF plugged in, it hunts but not as bad, maybe within 100-200 rpm. This ONLY happens with brake and clutch depressed. Not one or the other. What's the deal with that?

Occasionally the car will stall at idle. Just randomly. This makes me wonder if there is a cam sensor issue? Or could still be a MAF issue. I've had experiences with BMWs in the past stalling due to cam sensors. Not sure which of those if either could be the cause of the stumbling/misfiring at 2800-3000 rpm.

Wanted to update this.

I smoke tested the car and replaced all 6 coils with Delphi coils. Below is a pic of #5 and #6 original Bosch coils. While I never would have said the car wasn't smooth before, the coil replacement definitely made a difference in the smoothness and the pep of the car. The throttle is so much more responsive and the car feels more powerful no doubt. It honestly feels like the old "green" mode on my sprint booster now without it on. Granted, I reset all adaptations again after replacing the coils. But even doing that on my old coils didn't make much of a difference.

I ran some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas tank for the last couple tanks on my old coils. That helped the 2800-3000 jitter a little. But now with these new coils, it is 90% gone. I've only driven for a day this way and only felt it once stabbing the throttle in 3rd gear. It used to be that any sweeping acceleration through 3rd I could feel it, but now it is gone enough for me to forget about it.

The smoke test was interesting. There is zero leaks out the intake or any of the hoses. With the dipstick in and oil cap on, my smoke cone will push itself out of the intake tube due to the pressure build up. So that's a good sign. However, with the coil cap off, I get smoke coming out the valve cover. Doesn't that indicate a PCV system issue? Nothing comes out the dipstick.

Attached is a picture of coil #5 and #6. 1-4 looked just like #6, but #5 is clearly all fouled up. I pulled the plug on that cylinder also in order to clean the plug itself, which was also covered in the same sooty carbon. The plug itself looked fine. All plugs were replaced by the PO with BMW plugs about 4k miles ago. I double checked they were tight while in there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast