Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Nice werk! Hope the upholstery rework goes well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Long overdue update, again. I hope everyone's staying safe with the current situation with the Coronavirus!

The interior shop fixed the issues in about an hour flat while I waited, and everything came out perfectly. Could not be happier with the Alcantara headliner.

Another new development is that the wagon has been dropped off for its M3 manual and rear end swap. I actually just delivered the rebuilt diff from diffsonline this past Monday, and if everything goes well with the current situation, I will hopefully have the car in 2-3 weeks. This means I should have a 6 speed manual wagon with a limited slip in the back soon!

I may have also gotten into Hot Rod Drag Week 2020 (along with a certain other member of this forum), and as of right now, the plan is to run the wagon, so a M54B30 may be in the wagon's future sooner than expected. This is going to be an interesting year, especially with the current state of events.

Cool! Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplian View Post
    This means I should have a 6 speed manual wagon with a limited slip in the back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplian View Post
    I may have also gotten into Hot Rod Drag Week 2020 (along with a certain other member of this forum), and as of right now, the plan is to run the wagon, so a M54B30 may be in the wagon's future sooner than expected. This is going to be an interesting year, especially with the current state of events.
    Can't Wait!!!!!
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Well, it has been quite an eventful two months! The onset of COVID-19 really disrupted the world in a way that was previously unimaginable to me, but I have been pretty fortunate with being allowed to work from home and by still having a job (at least for the meantime, who knows what the future holds.) I wish the best to everyone.

The wagon was slightly delayed, but I got it back about 3 weeks ago and have put on about 400 miles on it so far. 120 of those miles were yesterday since I had a strange day where I was in the mood to just drive. Did a grocery run, and then hopped in later in the day to just drive aimlessly and practice some camera work. (I am a complete noob with the camera, so criticism/advice is welcome.)

Break-in period for the rear diff is 1200 miles, no real beating on the car until then. In summary, the following things were done to the car:
    • Getrag 420G from an E46 M3
    • Rebuilt M3 Driveshaft
    • E46 M3 Transmission Mounts
    • E46 M3 Rear End with all new bushings and balljoints
    • Spherical RTABs from Synchro Design Works
    • CMP Auto reinforcement plates welded in
    • Rebuilt M3 Calipers, and new parking brake hardware
    • ZHP 6 speed shift knob and Alcantara shift boot
    • Rebuilt E46 M3 diff from Diffsonline
    • LUK flywheel and clutch

I might be forgetting a couple of things, but I think I got the gist of it.

Now, as for the car itself, I think the only word that can accurately summarize it is, "Wow." This is everything the car needed. I love the trans; the somewhat heavy, but smooth clutch; the audible gear whine at low speeds. Did I mention the car is a lot faster now? A lot of that is thanks to the 3.62 rear end ratio.

The ZHP weighted knob is awesome, and it really helps with shifts. The trans is a bit notchy, second gear is a bit difficult to shift into if you're trying to drive quickly, or if the fluid is cold. I think I'm going to try Redline D4 ATF and see if that helps at all, I'll change it the same time as the rear diff fluid at 1200 miles.

The one thing that has become evident is that it needs a S54. M54, even boosted, will not do it. My pocket book is going to hate me.

I also need meatier tires. Ideally, I would like to run Apex FL5s in 18x9 ET42 with 255/35r18s, but they don't make FL5s in that offset, so I think I will have to settle for EC7s.

Overall, loving the wagon so far, and I plan on just driving it as-is for the time being and doing a bit more maintenance. Planning for the next stage has already begun, however.

Once again, can't give enough thanks to GeorgeH for all the help in making the parts list and overall guidance.

Also, pics! I need to detail the interior and wash the exterior, so forgive me.

Name:  manual swap interior.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  382.7 KB

Name:  cluster shot lower res.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  artsy shot lower res.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  61.6 KB

A red touring, M/T, LSD? That's already a great combo, S54 will make it even better. The only thing left is MT2 bumpers all around, and it's perfect IMO
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Can't wait to see thing in September!
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Nice werk!

I somehow missed these posts! Normally my phone updates when someone posts an update.

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    A red touring, M/T, LSD? That's already a great combo, S54 will make it even better. The only thing left is MT2 bumpers all around, and
    it's perfect IMO
    Thanks dude! And yep, the MTech 2 bumpers and sideskirts are in the plan. I already have ducts and wheel liners bought haha. Next will be the rear bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
    Can't wait to see thing in September!
    Looks like that will no longer be the case, unfortunately, though we've already talked about this over text haha. Hopefully I can get the S54 in before drag week next year. I think I have a buyer lined up for my sedan, which will give me room for a parts car.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Nice werk!

Thank you!

As for the wagon, I'm over 1000 miles on the manual swap and rebuilt diff, so I'll be swapping fluids. Diff will be getting a refill of the OEM fluid, SAF+XJ + FM booster since it's an OEM rebuild from Diffsonline.

The trans is a different story, second gear is a bit notchy, even for a 420g, so I will be trying Redline D4 ATF and seeing how it likes it.

If this doesn't help, I'll either take the trans from the parts car, or look out for other solution. Once again, George Hill came to the rescue and gave me lots of great ideas for alternatives.

He didn't like my idea of slapping in a T56, haha.

That's kinda the sore spot of the 420g, as they get older they get notchier and harder to shift... a buddy of mine had an E34 540i/6 with 200k+ miles on the original 420g and man it felt bad no matter what fluid we used.

You've already done the swap so you may as well experiment with fluids or with swapping in a different 420g, but if I were to 6-speed swap an E46 nowadays it would be with the ZF unit from the 330i/6. They feel much better and they take loads of power without too many issues. Lots of supercharged ZHP guys have no issues with them, and I've seen a few behind S54's.
    2003 Slicktop ZHP 330i - Maintenance Thread

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast