Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transmission & Differential Fluids

Hey Mafia,

I am getting ready to replace both my Transmission fluid (6MT) and my rear Dif fluid. From what I've read I'll order 2 Liters for both and have some fluid left over, but I was wondering what fluids to get.

Looking to see what everyone has replaced there trans and dif fluids with? any recommendations? Car is mostly a commuter with spirited driving on the weekends. No track days in near future.

Thanks!

I tried redline MTL and ATF fluids (current) for tranny. Redline actually recommends ATF fluid for our cars. But I think next time I would just go with BMW fluid because both the redline products work well when they are fresh but get bad quite quickly, especially in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Was reading around this forum about this very topic. It seems there are 3 aftermarket fluids people use. But I'm thinking of just using the BMW stuff.

There are two transmissions listed on realOEM for my car. It seems they both take MTF LT-2 fluid p/n 83222339219. Do we agree with this?

For the diff, it seems realOEM has one fluid listed regardless of the car's gear set or equipment (i.e. auto trans, manual trans, perf package). That fluid is called, "BMW Synthetik OSP" p/n 83222365987.

Do these cars not have an LSD? I know the M cars take special fluid with friction modifier, because I just did that on my dad's M3. I guess these are just open diffs?
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Was reading around this forum about this very topic. It seems there are 3 aftermarket fluids people use. But I'm thinking of just using the BMW stuff.

There are two transmissions listed on realOEM for my car. It seems they both take MTF LT-2 fluid p/n 83222339219. Do we agree with this?

For the diff, it seems realOEM has one fluid listed regardless of the car's gear set or equipment (i.e. auto trans, manual trans, perf package). That fluid is called, "BMW Synthetik OSP" p/n 83222365987.

Do these cars not have an LSD? I know the M cars take special fluid with friction modifier, because I just did that on my dad's M3. I guess these are just open diffs?
    I wish these cars came with a LSD but sadly, they do not.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I used redline atf in my transmission but it is indeed like water after a few months. I dug deep into m3forum and came away with this as the best replacement for the BMW lifetime MTF

Ravenol J1C1002 SAE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-2 Full Synthetic API GL-4 (1 Liter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGXB15O..._qK.MCb3YQWKN0

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I used redline atf in my transmission but it is indeed like water after a few months. I dug deep into m3forum and came away with this as the best replacement for the BMW lifetime MTF

Ravenol J1C1002 SAE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-2 Full Synthetic API GL-4 (1 Liter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGXB15O..._qK.MCb3YQWKN0
    ah, so it is indeed sae 75w- 80. I was looking at a few other fluids with this rating but will probs just get the one you posted. $20 a bottle isn't that expensive and I don't want to have to replace the fluid again in the near future. Car is going to see a lot more miles on it very soon. My Commute is going to be ~22 miles one way, so 45 miles a day, 5 days a week.

So that just leaves the dif. Should I get the OEM fluid or liquid-moly? Or something else all together.

OEM Fluid = $18.74
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/07512293972/

Liqui-Moly =#13.76 (Surprised it is cheaper)
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_mo...iter/2048~liq/

Are going aftermarket with the transmission fluid based on price? pelican has the fluid for $32 per liter. That's only 12 more than the Amazon fluid... Is it better?
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Fwiw, stuck with the Mike Miller recs here. Red Line 75w90 for the diff and Red Line MTL for the trans. Zero issues after multiple 30K runs on both.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Fwiw, stuck with the Mike Miller recs here. Red Line 75w90 for the diff and Red Line MTL for the trans. Zero issues after multiple 30K runs on both.
    What vender did you get yours from? I'm shopping around for the best price, but I do have $50 in gift cards for Amazon, so trying to use those up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast