Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Does this require a head unit that supported factory bluetooth? Does anything display other than "Bluetooth" on non nav unit during audio playback or calls? And a standard mic can be used?

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    Does anything display other than "Bluetooth" on non nav unit during audio playback or calls?
    Scroll up a bit for the answer...
    He's got some pictures that show what it looks like for a podcast that was being discussed.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Does this require a head unit that supported factory bluetooth? Does anything display other than "Bluetooth" on non nav unit during audio playback or calls? And a standard mic can be used?
    For CD53 users, you will need a head unit that supported the factory Telematics Control Unit (BMW Assist / Telephone unit). I've only run into a single unit that didn't support it, and it was a 2002 CD53 from a Mini Cooper R50. No one that has tested a unit has had issues with an E46 CD53.

It displays Metadata for the song currently playing whilst in playback mode, and it will (currently doesn't) display caller ID info when you're getting / on a call.

It depends on what you define as a standard mic. You will need to either equip the car with the BMW OE Microphone or run a microphone like GROM sells (with a 3.5mm output) to the trunk and into the unit.

Hope this helps!

-Ted

Hey Ted, yes this works. Now that I'm on a computer I see how silly my first questions was. I pre-ordered and couldn't be more excited. I've already prewired a nice a mic down the A pillar. I can finally say goodbye to the most ghetto bluetooth and aux setup ever. Although my car is an 03/01 build, I have a radio from a 2005

edit. The mic has to connect in the rear? Can't be plug + and - directly to the radio? for a standard 3.5mm mic?

Hey Ted, yes this works. Now that I'm on a computer I see how silly my first questions was. I pre-ordered and couldn't be more excited. I've already prewired a nice a mic down the A pillar. I can finally say goodbye to the most ghetto bluetooth and aux setup ever. Although my car is an 03/01 build, I have a radio from a 2005

edit. The mic has to connect in the rear? Can't be plug + and - directly to the radio? for a standard 3.5mm mic?
    Hey!

Unfortunately, you have to connect your Mic directly to the BlueBus unit. You could actually just hijack the factory microphone pre-wiring if you were so inclined, as that terminates in the trunk.

Otherwise, you could install the BlueBus in the glove box, but that's not really recommended as you would have to make a lot of your own connections...

Honestly, using the OE Mic is the best solution and will give you the best quality. They can be had for $20 - $30 USD on eBay

Thanks!
    -Ted

Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    Hey!

Unfortunately, you have to connect your Mic directly to the BlueBus unit. You could actually just hijack the factory microphone pre-wiring if you were so inclined, as that terminates in the trunk.

Otherwise, you could install the BlueBus in the glove box, but that's not really recommended as you would have to make a lot of your own connections...

Honestly, using the OE Mic is the best solution and will give you the best quality. They can be had for $20 - $30 USD on eBay

Thanks!
    -Ted
    I ended up buying an OE mic. I'm curious if you have any update for everyone.

I ended up buying an OE mic. I'm curious if you have any update for everyone.
    Awesome! I finished the newest revision and I'm waiting on the boards to arrive for testing. I had a run made a couple weeks ago but there were some issues with the USB connector I chose, and I decided to change other aspects of the design at that point (no new features, just changing the way things were wired and speaking to each other).

New boards should be going to beta testers this week!

Interesting video on the first post. I did not read all 3 pages of replies so sorry if anything was said/asked already.

I have factory nav in my 05 330i, and probably like many owners, I scrounged up the various OEM parts needed to retrofit Bluetooth calling into the stock head unit. Also, I have a cheap/simple Bluetooth streaming dongle plugged into the back of the Nav headunit which gives me wireless music streaming. If I am understanding this correctly, your device would replace both of these systems via plugging into the 6 disc wiring in our trunks and work through that. Thus we would be either be unplugging or just not using our OEM BT and/or AUX modes after install, correct?

For those of us that have already gone through all this, the benefits of your system would be an OEM like integration of BT calling AND BT music streaming, along with one BT connection instead of two like my set up. Any other benefits we should know about?

What version of BT will the device use? Are we up to 5.0 now? Hard to keep up with all the numbers. Hah. I believe my AUX dongle uses 4.2

Does it need a BT antenna of some kind? If so, where? I remember installing the OEM antenna under the arm rest during my BT calling retrofit

Depending on the cost and assuming good reliability/quality, I might be interested in something like that.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    Awesome! I finished the newest revision and I'm waiting on the boards to arrive for testing. I had a run made a couple weeks ago but there were some issues with the USB connector I chose, and I decided to change other aspects of the design at that point (no new features, just changing the way things were wired and speaking to each other).

New boards should be going to beta testers this week!
    Sounds fantastic, thanks for being so speedy with your replies. Can’t wait for it to exit beta, I’m so stoked for this! Improvements are always great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Interesting video on the first post. I did not read all 3 pages of replies so sorry if anything was said/asked already.

I have factory nav in my 05 330i, and probably like many owners, I scrounged up the various OEM parts needed to retrofit Bluetooth calling into the stock head unit. Also, I have a cheap/simple Bluetooth streaming dongle plugged into the back of the Nav headunit which gives me wireless music streaming. If I am understanding this correctly, your device would replace both of these systems via plugging into the 6 disc wiring in our trunks and work through that. Thus we would be either be unplugging or just not using our OEM BT and/or AUX modes after install, correct?

For those of us that have already gone through all this, the benefits of your system would be an OEM like integration of BT calling AND BT music streaming, along with one BT connection instead of two like my set up. Any other benefits we should know about?

What version of BT will the device use? Are we up to 5.0 now? Hard to keep up with all the numbers. Hah. I believe my AUX dongle uses 4.2

Does it need a BT antenna of some kind? If so, where? I remember installing the OEM antenna under the arm rest during my BT calling retrofit

Depending on the cost and assuming good reliability/quality, I might be interested in something like that.
    No worries -- I wouldn't want to read all three pages either :P

Yes, my unit would replace both the OE Bluetooth and the AUX BT Dongle. You can always keep the OE BT if you like it more, and simply disable that side of the BlueBus.

Other benefits include extra features, such as "Comfort" One touch blinkers and other goodies that are in the works, such as clock auto syncing based on the GPS time.

The BlueBus uses a BC127 BT module internally which supports BT 5.0 (5.1 is the latest, and it was just introduced in January of 2019).

The unit has a built in antenna, so you won't need to worry about sourcing or making use of the existing antennas.

It should also be noted that to fully utilize the OE Phone integration, you will need to either tap or de-pin six wires from the OE 54-pin Bluetooth module harness. The install instructions will speak more to that, but you need to source:

1. Telephone Audio +
    2. Telephone Audio -
    3. Telephone On/Alive
    4. Telephone Radio Mute
    5. Microphone +
    6. Microphone -

Unfortunately the 54 pin connector is NLA by Siemens, and thus not available for integration on the PCB, so this part of the install will be "less plug and play" as you will need to source those signals and install them into a connector which will come with the BlueBus.

Sounds fantastic, thanks for being so speedy with your replies. Can’t wait for it to exit beta, I’m so stoked for this! Improvements are always great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Even though there are existing BT solutions for this car, none of them truly satisfied my requirements, so I'm stoked to have this too !

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast