Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Premature Control Arm Bushing Failure

I have a 2006, 6 speed, ZHP vert with only 74k on the clock. The car has been meticulously maintained (see pics on this site) as I've been the second owner since 2k miles.

At 53k, miles, my control arm bushings failed and the dealer replaced them. Back in December, at 72k, I began to feel them going, I brought the car in - the dealer pronounced them to be just fine.

FF to the past couple of weeks (and obvious further deterioration) and the dealer wants to replace them at a cost of almost $800 for the pair. I got them down to $200 as 20k is not acceptable mileage.

What is it with front control arms on these cars? Were they under-specced to begin with? I'm thinking of moving to a better product, but have to decide if I'm keeping the car long-term to make it worthwhile.

Keep an eye on those CAB guys, it's a point of fragility on an otherwise strong car.

I don't think it's your CABs... at $800 for the pair, that sounds like they're trying to sell you control arms. It may be your ball joints that are shot, which are integrated into the control arm and not replaceable on their own, requiring the whole control arm.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I do think the control arms need replacement - but the dealer wants to do what they did 20k ago, and replace the bushings ... (which they wrongly call thrust arm bushings). Close to 800 is the dealer rate here in mid fairfield county.

I'm shopping out an indie at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by shrp11 View Post
    I do think the control arms need replacement - but the dealer wants to do what they did 20k ago, and replace the bushings ... (which they wrongly call thrust arm bushings). Close to 800 is the dealer rate here in mid fairfield county.

I'm shopping out an indie at the moment.
    The dealer is a waste of time. Their rates are way too high in Fairfield County.
    I can check to see if my buddy is willing to do the work... he used to be a tech at BMW of North Haven. He's a full time student at the moment though, so if you can wait until finals are over in mid-May, I'm sure he can accommodate you for a lot less...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it - however, i've found a good indie shop who'll do the pair of control arms for a good $.

Ed

I did control arms and tie rods in a parking lot on jack stands, a pretty easy job to do. Mine are not that old and I feel like they are already kinda of shot feeling. Mine probably have around 20k miles on them too.