Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clutch Feel and Engagement Point

Still pretty new to my car. It's got almost 112k now.

After driving it for a bit and then going into some other manual cars, I've noticed some differences and I'd like to know if they are normal...

For one, the clutch is very light, but I think that's normal for hydraulically assisted ones. My dad's E46 M3 isn't that much heavier. But my 5.0 Mustang is very heavy.

Second, the clutch doesn't seem to grab until the end of pedal travel. The M3 and my Mustang start grabbing shortly off the floor. The ZHP seems to grab at the end of pedal travel. This makes it hard to shift quickly sometimes, since the clutch grabs so late.

I imagine the car still has the CDV, since it's all original from what I know. Is there an adjustment for how soon or late in pedal travel the clutch grabs? What feel does the CDV change when removed? I have no problem with how it feels when it's engaging, just when.
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

I did the CDV delete and recommend it. The engagement point always varied; now it engages consistently in the bottom to middle third of the travel.

I had a heavily modified '90 5.0 LX coupe; there is no comparison between the clutch of that car and the ZHP, I think mostly because the ZHP is hydraulic and the Mustang was not, but it may also be due to the dual-mass flywheel on the ZHP.
    -Chris

Definitely delete the cdv and see how it feels after that. If it still grabs near the top, then that's a good thing! You can disable the clutch-fully-depressed requirement to start the car and then add a clutch stop to reduce travel. Shorter clutch travel = quicker shifting

Edit: I should clarify that the clutch grabbing at the top of the pedal travel could be exacerbated by the cdv. It may actually grab near the middle, but the cdv slows the reaction of the clutch so it doesn't move as quickly as you release the pedal, therefore your pedal is almost all the way out by the time the clutch engages the flywheel.
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 05-10-2019 at 04:34 AM.

I agree with all that but grabbing at the top of the pedal travel, isn't that a sign that the clutch is thinning or might start slipping? Mine engages in the bottom 3rd of the pedal travel. A clutch stop might not really give the OP an engagement spot closer to the bottom of the pedal travel.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

This is kinda what I'm wondering. Is it worn and out of room for adjustment?

How hard is it to delete the CDV? Do you have to bleed the system after?
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

It is easy (I was there when Shawn did it in front of me a few years back, took all but 3 minutes). If I remember right, you can pinch the tubes on wither side of the CDV and you won't loose fluid (correct me if I am wrong).

I don't see how removing CDV changes the engagement point though.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

My clutch engages somewhere between the rearview mirror and the dome light.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Removing the cdv does not change the clutch engagement point. I was just saying that you should remove it anyway because it makes the engagement point consistent. Then you can add a clutch stop to eliminate the extra pedal travel after the engagement point. Bada Bing Bada boom quicker shifts.

Do I have to bleed the line if removed? I imagine some air will get in there no matter how hard you try. Does it self bleed or something?

No bleeding that I can remember after getting rid off the CDV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast