Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alcantara Steering Wheels....

.... are absolutely disgusting. Biohazards.

I'm doing a mewant wrap on it. I hope I can get it right, this is not going to be an easy project, but before I do it I'm cleaning the alcantara.

I first used the Sonax alcantara cleaner. The goo that came out is literally the most disgusting thing I've ever had to do work with while cleaning a car. Nearly two decades of oily hand juice from everyone who's ever touched the steering wheel came out. Previous owners and all.

It still wasn't clean, and right now the steering wheel is removed and getting a much needed bath in my warm soapy sink with dish soap. Obviously the electronics are removed. Still the water is turning a color that makes me want to call the pope.

Leather can naturally absorb and process this material. Alcantara is synthetic. As much as we want to believe in the miracle of modern science, it still can't hold a candle to the actual miracle of nature.

YUCK.

I have one spare alcantara steering wheel in a box, used. Last year I took the car to my detail guy, and asked him to clean the steering wheel for me. He said "yes, it will be an extra 20 dlls."

Glad I avoided the mess.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

This makes me think that I should listen to my wife and rewrap the wheel in leather vs alcantara

Leather overwrap wrap is dope. Grippier and thicker. I did it over an M3 leather wheel and sold the Alcantara because people still want these things. Alcantara is great if you wear gloves while driving because it grips against leather gloves and well you kind of have to wear gloves so it doesn't get gross.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Leather overwrap wrap is dope. Grippier and thicker. I did it over an M3 leather wheel and sold the Alcantara because people still want these things. Alcantara is great if you wear gloves while driving because it grips against leather gloves and well you kind of have to wear gloves so it doesn't get gross.
    Did you do it yourself? Or send it out?

I'm pretty sure all that grimy shit that builds up gets its own BMW part number.

Leather goes with leather interiors. Alcantara goes with alcantara interiors. That’s my thought process at least. Mix and match seems out of place.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Alcantara Steering Wheels....

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    Leather goes with leather interiors. Alcantara goes with alcantara interiors. That’s my thought process at least. Mix and match seems out of place.
    Mine had the Alcantara wheel and boots stock, with the leather option for the seats. Currently @ 160K with a Coby rewrap. I wear BMW ///M gloves when ever I drive and it still looks & feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Both of my cars have the coby wheel alcantara wheels and they are holding up well. Just have to pay more attention to them and have a cleaning regimen so they feel fresh and clean.

New zhp has a mix of both materials and it's also a good option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I just finished my wrap. It came out decent. I hope it holds up. I can see charging $250 for a proper wrap is not only justifiable but on the cheaper side. It's really little details that matter, and I didn't get mine quite perfect. That being said it's way better than the $20 cover I had on, and if it holds up I'll be quite happy for $65

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast