Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Renovelo MS45.1 O2 and SAP delete

A warning: as with all things DME related, you can brick your car. I wanted to learn this and decided to risk it. But my first attempt triggered the immobilizer (more on that later). But proceed at your own risk, I am not an expert just offering a simple write-up of my experience.

Last year I had to replace my engine since my head cracked between 4&5 cylinders. While doing that I went ahead and installed BB catless headers and deleted my SAP. I ended up using Renovelo to code off post-catalytic converter O2 sensors and SAP, and really enjoyed the product.

I was new to DME programming, but decided to go this route instead of Active Autowerks flash. I wasn't sure if AA removed sap, and I have a friend who does Dyno tuning. Eventually I plan to get a full tune, but this is just a quick write-up of how to delete secondary O2 sensors and SAP.

Renovelo was simple enough to use and is a pretty clean gui. DME programming is a little overwhelming at first, but was a fairly simple process once I found the parameter names and what to change them to. I found https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS45 to be extremely helpful in this. They have parameters listed and what they do for each. At the bottom of the page is the list of parameters that change SAP and O2 settings as well as top speed and idle.

To flash your DME you first have to download the full binary file from the car. This takes about 45 minutes and most people recommend to use a trickle charger while downloading and uploading since if it doesn't finish or uploads half the file it can brick the DME. Also I'm pretty sure you can use the PA soft cables with Renovelo, but I went ahead and grabbed theirs since it needed a certain pin jumped.

Step 1- Install software and drivers. Renovelo has a very good install write-up just follow his instructions.

Step 2- Open the software and request license activation and DME license activation. Make sure to check your spam, Jeff's emails made it into my junk folder.

Step 3- Attach trickle charger, insert OBDii reader, and turn key to on position but do not start the car. Turn off air and other accessories to save the battery from draining. Then select download full binary at the top left. This takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Step 4- Save the file as your OEM DME. I saved 5 copies in different locations. This is the what you want to flash back to if you have issues with your upload.

Step 5- Select file open, and open your downloaded binary. FIRST SAVE UBDER A DIFFERENT NAME TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT OVERWRITE YOUR OEM DME FILE.
    Opening this .bin file will open a list of the parameters for your DME whether its ms43, ms45.1, etc in the left window. These are the parameters and values that control all aspects of your engine. This is where MS4x.net wikis come in handy.

Step 6- Select the parameters you'd like to change, and set them to the correct values. Below is a picture of the parameters I opened to delete SAP and Post O2. I ended up not changing the top right map so ignore that window.

Step 7- When you are happy with your changes select file save. ONCE AGAIN MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT SAVONG OVER THE ORIGINAL DME DOWNLOAD.

STEP 8- Make sure trickle charger is attached and turned on. Attach OBDii cord and turn key to on position but DO NOT start. Then press the little arrow below upload and select upload full binary. This should take 20-45 minutes. Do not touch or change anything on the car in the mean time.

Step 9-

Step 10- Press the clear adaptations button, and clear any check engine codes if you haven't already.

Step 10- TURN KEY TO OFF POSITION FIRST. Then you should be good to start the car, and see if you didn't ruin it.
    I forgot to switch my key off during my first flash and it triggered the immobilizer. I had to find an INPA copy to re-sync the DME and EWS. My second flash went flawlessly.

I still have to reinstall my PA soft to double check that O2 sensors and SAP shows up on scans as not available. If that is the case it would pass emissions inspections but not sniffer tests (unless performance cats where added).

I hope this helps anyone considering it, but once again I am by no means an expert on the subject and your mileage may vary. Do this at your own risk.

Good post. Definitely curious to see if all your emissions monitors pass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Ews delete please, how hard is it with this interface? That's all I want so I can do ms45. 1 swaps into wagons easier
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

The wiki on MS4x.net has been updated, there's a new parameter discovered that sets the OBDII O2 readiness monitors to "ready". Might help people with emissions.

Also there has been success in getting the SAP to show "Nein" in INPA for our cars. That might help too.

Sorry I cant' speak in more absolutes, we dont have emissions testing here in Michigan so I can't say for sure these new updates will help you in your states.

Quote Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
    The wiki on MS4x.net has been updated, there's a new parameter discovered that sets the OBDII O2 readiness monitors to "ready". Might help people with emissions.

Also there has been success in getting the SAP to show "Nein" in INPA for our cars. That might help too.

Sorry I cant' speak in more absolutes, we dont have emissions testing here in Michigan so I can't say for sure these new updates will help you in your states.
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for ever since I got my car. Thanks so much for posting! Can't believe these options are FINALLY available for our cars.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for ever since I got my car. Thanks so much for posting! Can't believe these options are FINALLY available for our cars.
    Did you ever look into this? I pulled my DME to ship to Kassel for SAP and secondary O2 delete but if you can set the monitors for emissions testing then Renovelo might be the better path.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Did you ever look into this? I pulled my DME to ship to Kassel for SAP and secondary O2 delete but if you can set the monitors for emissions testing then Renovelo might be the better path.
    I did actually but I never felt like paying the $250 for the software. As much as I still want to do the SAP delete, it just always feels like such a low priority compared to everything else that needs to be done.

Mr. headlight lenses is getting a CSL intake and MAP conversion at Kassel and he said he felt confident after talking to the guys there so I might actually end up getting a Kassel tune eventually as well. Let us know here how it goes with the MS45 though. I assume Charlotte also requires an OBD test with the readiness monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    I did actually but I never felt like paying the $250 for the software. As much as I still want to do the SAP delete, it just always feels like such a low priority compared to everything else that needs to be done.

Mr. headlight lenses is getting a CSL intake and MAP conversion at Kassel and he said he felt confident after talking to the guys there so I might actually end up getting a Kassel tune eventually as well. Let us know here how it goes with the MS45 though. I assume Charlotte also requires an OBD test with the readiness monitors?
    Yep all of NC requires you to hook up to the OBD computer and get a clean printout of functions. I talked to the guys at Kassel today and they said it probably still wouldn't set the monitors so I'll pay for the software if you'll learn it and tune my car

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Yep all of NC requires you to hook up to the OBD computer and get a clean printout of functions. I talked to the guys at Kassel today and they said it probably still wouldn't set the monitors so I'll pay for the software if you'll learn it and tune my car
    There are actually some counties that straight up don't have emissions testing here (must be nice) and there is a loophole where if you fail the test and then pay at least $200 to attempt to get the emissions fixed at a mechanic and it still fails after that, you get a pass. But yeah I remember emailing Kassel a long time ago and I knew there was a reason why I hadn't gotten the tune yet. I'm down to share the cost and figure it out together if the software works for multiple cars.
    Last edited by Galapolis; 02-09-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Wish I lived near you guys. I tuned a CBR600RR with Motec M150 back in my undergrad days
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)