Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

'05 Jet Black Auto/Sedan resurrection

As if I didn't have enough projects, I decided to buy another ZHP, lol.

Back in the fall of '18 a member of a semi-local FB BMW group rear ended another car in his ZHP. It took out the headlights, hood, core support and some other misc items.

He started fixing it and somewhere along the way it decided to no longer start.

Fast forward a few more months and he decided to part ways with the project.

I picked the car up Tuesday night after a 400 mile round trip with the truck and trailer.

First impressions are it is surprisingly nice. Other than the hood and a couple of small marks the body is in really good shape. The car came with a Mishimoto e-fan kit, but it's beat up so I'll probably ditch it for a mechanical fan and shroud or ZHP e-fan. Also installed is a TMS under drive pulley kit, I'll probably pull that off and return to stock as well. The previous owner already replaced the core support, rad and condenser, but I might have to pull that all back apart to audit his install.

Inside the car is a black leather interior, no heated seats and no fold down rear seats (that's a big bummer ). It has an aftermarket Eonon style stereo in it. Alcantara steering wheel is in tact but heavily matted, hopefully it cleans up well. A-pillar covers are in really good shape, but B's and C's are rough and the headliner is starting to sag. Sunroof is supposed to work but I have not tried it yet.

I had an idea of the cause for the no start and after a bit of diagnosis I confirmed my suspicions. The 3.0L M54 engines have tendency to flood if not run long enough in cold temperatures and this car experienced this situation. A little oil down the cylinders and some extended cranking to restore piston ring seal and it fired right up.

The new radiator he installed ended up being cracked and so it leaks water almost as fast as you can put it in. I was able to back the car off the trailer and get it parked out of the way, but much more and I'll have to get the cooling system all sorted out first.

https://www.facebook.com/SmashAndCra...0952142198061/

That is where the project is as of now. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it, maybe my wife will take it and I'll get her wagon to do something fun with. Other options could be a 6spd conversion or maybe it'll get a S54 swap?
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

This is awesome. GL whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Good find. Sounds like the car has clean title, that's a big plus.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Good find. Sounds like the car has clean title, that's a big plus.
    Yes, clean title as the PO had liability only. There was no bumper damage, but core support, lights, radiator, condenser and hood add up. Although with the value of these cars on the rise it would have been very close either way.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Moving along, my wife's schedule is not a normal M-F so I try to "take off" when she is off. This week was Thur and Fri for her so I got a little bit of time to work on this project. I pulled the cracked radiator and checked out the mounts and core support. New condenser was installed with new mounts by the previous owner, it was a bit wonky and I traced that down to the LH lower mount being twisted a smidge. With the bracket corrected and everything went back together properly.

The old radiator leaking, luckily it was only filled with water or this would have been an unfortunate mess:

And the "new" radiator. It came off a low mileage touring that I did a S54 swap on so it'll get re-purposed in this setup nicely or at least it'll be the right price until I verify everything else is good with the car.

With the cooling system leak free and assembled I topped up the P/S fluid and took the car for a test drive. It drives really well, surprisingly well actually. I did notice a bit of a rattle from the front of the engine in the 2-2500rpm range. It's one of those noises that I would have never had it except there is not a hood installed. I pulled the belts and no change. With my hand on the valve cover I can "feel" it. I ran out of time, but I'll start by disconnecting the DISA flap and if no change I have a new chain tensioner spring to try out, but that's probably just wishful thinking and I'll have to pull the valve cover to investigate. Next step is to determine the noise and if that checks out I'll change the oil and get the spare hood and headlights mounted, reinstall the bumper and then I think it's ready for a real road test.

This car looks like it has lots potential. Could the rattle be the VANOS rattle?

If the radiator support is damaged then there's a good chance the aux fan is damaged. If you're not going down the electric fan route to replace it with I have a mechanical aux fan I just removed from my car (99,721 miles) you can have, just pay for shipping from 92612 (might be more economical to source one local to you, though).

I'm looking forward to your updates, keep us posted.

Will, yes it has LOTS of potential for sure.

The PO already replaced the core support, the radiator air duct and aux fan. The mechanical fan was undamaged and came with the car, thank you for the offer though.

It's possible the noise could be a vanos rattle, but this is a noise that is new to me on the M54 engine so It'll take a little bit of work to figure out. But I love new stuff like this so I'm very excited to figure it out, just hope I don't have to pull the timing covers, lol.

Looks like you're doing a great job! Do you have video of the rattle? I would be surprised if it's timing chain rattle, my money is on the VANOS.

Also, looks like you're in Austin, I'll be down there for work in about a week and a half haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplian View Post
    Looks like you're doing a great job! Do you have video of the rattle? I would be surprised if it's timing chain rattle, my money is on the VANOS.

Also, looks like you're in Austin, I'll be down there for work in about a week and a half haha.
    Chaplain, I imagine you are correct, but hate to jump to conclusions. I've got parts on order so hopefully I'll report good news this weekend.

IF you are bored stop by the shop, usually in the evenings I have friends over and we work on mine/their cars or just BS, 512-639-9182.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
    Chaplain, I imagine you are correct, but hate to jump to conclusions. I've got parts on order so hopefully I'll report good news this weekend.

IF you are bored stop by the shop, usually in the evenings I have friends over and we work on mine/their cars or just BS, 512-639-9182.
    So you're saying if I drive my wagon down, we can S54 swap it?

Text incoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast